1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Greatest football player of all time.

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by OH-MAN, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Aug 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Johnny Unitas was definitely the best quarterback ever to play the game.

Walter Payton was definitely the best running back.

2. Aug 22, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Brett also holds every other major passing record. Where was Brett when Brady was out all season? Oh yeah, he was on the field playing like he does every season. I think that there are/were more accurate QBs now and throughout history but as a football player he should be considered on the list; especially considering that he carried the Packers on his shoulders to the playoffs way more seasons than they should have gone during his time. Only 1996/97/98 and maybe his last year as a Packer did he have a lot of talent around him.

3. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Yeah, because he's played for a bajillion years.

And yes, if you sling the ball enough, eventually you'll get all the records, including picks, incompletions, and all the others that carry negative connotations.

He's definitely had a hall of fame career, but he is not the best QB currently playing, and he is not the best of all time.

And yes, if they had a durability award, he'd certainly win it. He'll end up in Canton, but throwing him out there on this particular thread's subject is hilarious.

4. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Not nearly as hilarious as your statement is ignorant.:rolleyes:

5. Aug 22, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Oh please. Just because it doesn't share your bias doesn't mean it's ignorant. It means it's a difference of opinion. Get over yourself.

6. Aug 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    :rofl:

7. Aug 22, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    why don't you go cool off dude...its an open thread...Brett Favre is a stud, but he's no Peyton Manning :devil:

8. Aug 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    And my opinion is 'hilarious'? Take you own advice.

9. Aug 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    tbturner47

tbturner47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road

Manning is the only quarterback that has anything on favre right now. Why? Because Tom Brady had an outstanding team and an excellent kicker to help him win Super Bowls. WAY over rated.

Brees is a good quarterback, but I personally don't see him comparable to Manning or Favre anytime soon.

And I think Favre has EVERY right to be in this conversation for best all time. Look what the man has accomplished throughout his career. Anyone who can take those hits continuously like he has and still start so many games deserves a large amount of credit. Yes he has had a long career which improved his opportunities to establish records, but don't you think you have to have some sort of talent to do that? Not to mention the man's love for the game. He still gets so excited when he plays.

The one thing that will tarnish his career is what happened with the Packers. If he would have retired and never played again after that, most people wouldn't even question him being in this conversation. But after what happened it's almost as if everyone has turned on him.

I'm a Colts fan, and have been for many years. Unitas was truly amazing, and deserves to be near the top of the list. But who tops that list is SOLELY based on opinion alone and will never be determined. But to say Favre shouldn't in the running is completely aronious.

10. Aug 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    I added some info;)

11. Aug 22, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    tbturner47

tbturner47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road

Not to mention he's the quarterback AND offensive coordinator for the Colts:p:D

12. Aug 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    To Packerfan - thought you were not going to make a case for Favre, what happened? Favre is a great player & one of the toughest to play the game, how can you call yourself a packerfan & say fuck him? Yeah I know he broke your little hearts when he left, but like you said he carried the franchise & won you guys a superbowl. Wether he retired a packer or not he still did all those things. I would never dog Peyton if he left the Colts @ the end of his career (even if he went to New England) because he carried our franchise & won us a superbowl. As far as best ever I would have to say Johnny U for all the reasons already stated. Oh, by the way all those records of Favres will be gone soon Peyton will pass them all, in few years my answer will change Peyton Manning will be the Greatest of All All Time, Just ask my daughter Peyton.:)

13. Aug 22, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I think you're misreading the thread - I'm not the least bit agitated, and I'm not name calling.

In these circumstances, absolutely - watching someone with an avowed Packer bent throw Favre's name in the ring when discussing "best ever" is hilarious. There are few rules in sports rankings, but one of the most easily understood is that no currently active player can ever be named the best ever. Rosy colored glasses, nostalgia, and other bullshit need to skew perception before someone can be considered for an all-time #1 position.

And that doesn't happen until someone retires.

You should've gone with Bart Starr. We could have an honest conversation about him.

Brady isn't necessarily overrated, he's just very system dependent. P. Manning is the kind of player that can carry a team. Brady catalyzes his, but isn't nearly as dangerous without them.

Brees is more talented than Favre ever was, but hasn't been doing so for nearly as long. Time will tell if his career ends up being as significant as Favre's was. My gut says probably not, as he didn't hit elite status until his late 20s.

Oh he's a great talent and always has been. He'll go to Canton, and should absolutely be there for the unique accomplishments of his career. But many other players have had bigger impacts on football.

Don't worry - as stated above, he'll get his time on the top 10/5/etc. lists once he hangs up his cleats.

Most likely correct. However, I'm ok with that as going through Favre-watch every year is starting to get old.

"Erroneous".

Aside from that, I have a hard time taking any quarterback from the past 20 years or so seriously. The league has become much more protective of passers during that time. Let us now forget, the guys that were elite icons in the early days were doing it under much harsher sets of rules. This automatically sets the bar a bit higher for these newer players - having careers of similar significance isn't enough for them. They need to exceed that level of play to be considered on the same level as the old farts.

14. Aug 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Indeed - and this is why Manning could eventually end up vying for the best ever accolade. That's a lot of extra load to carry, and the fact that he's arguably the best active quarterback in the NFL with that added responsibility on his shoulders speaks volumes to his talent.

I still hope someone rips his brother's head off though. God knows Jim Leonhard did his best.

15. Aug 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    It's complicated, you wouldn't understand.

Oh no, I didn't follow the "best football player ever" rules.:rolleyes: I pretty much can't stand Favre after the betrayal so you can take your "rosy colored glasses" and put them where you'd like.

16. Aug 22, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Todd Pinkston.

17. Aug 22, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    If greatness is judged on how many rings a player has. then I say Joe Montana. But think of how many times Dan Marino’s Dolphins lost games throughout the 80s because the Dolphins had no defense and no running game whatsoever. Marino would unleash an astonishing aerial attack in leading the Fish to 28 or 35 points, nearly weekly, only to see his teams’ defense, helplessly give up 38 or more.
    What amazes me though, is the fact that, although Miami had no defense or running back of substance- and teams prepared for Miami’s airborne offense - no one could stop them. Just think of how tough it is to throw the ball when teams know that’s exactly what you’re going to do.

18. Aug 22, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics

19. Aug 22, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    Ptowntaco

Ptowntaco Camburg :)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Petaluma Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    Tint, Socked, Deck Plate mod, Camburg 2.5 coils, Camburg UCA, 5100's in the rear, Custom Deaver leaf pack, Micky Thomson Classic Locks, BFG KM2, CB
    X2 nuff said...

20. Aug 22, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road

Products Discussed in

To Top