1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Green/Black belt ~ Not MARTIAL ARTS you fool!

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by 98tacoma27, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Sep 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    In one of my management classes i took a test and am certified as a green belt equivalent

2. Sep 30, 2012 at 1:34 AM
    rexel

rexel Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got it through work, three 1 week sessions and completing a project between the sessions.

3. Sep 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    9" of Super Bro lift
    Yellow belt certified here......and never apply it at work.:rolleyes:

4. Nov 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Phlip4x4Sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road Long Bed
    New and Unmodified
    I got a Green belt while working at GE Plastics in the mid 90's. When I was a consultant I used pieces of it like process mapping and FMEA all of the time to explain to C-Level execs why they want to fix something down in IT. I don't use all of the math as much anymore, but the ideas are good for the toolkit.

It is useful but only if after you do all of the grunt work to prove something, you have someone with power to present it to.

5. Dec 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    for a large company, it is good for uncovering inefficiencies in their processes, eliminating waste, and restructuring(if needed) their old ways to a profitable and lean/efficient operating culture. 6 sigma probably plays out better for manufacturing companies vs other companies.

I am a certified green belt, but that is only because I have participated on projects that have been successful(savings of $100k+). to be a black belt, one would need to have a college degree, or be a mid-high level manager status, typically. at my old company, a dedicated black belt(vs. a person that is a trained black belt, but still holds their profession and does not conduct 6 sigma projects) would start out now at $80k+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7u1VBhWCE

6. Dec 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4

I can see in a manufacturing operation it having some use. I see it every now and then on job postings. I was just curious. My mother in law who i cant stand acts like it's the key to her financial freedom and will make her invaluable to her company. She's bat shit crazy.

Funny thing about that clip, when I was a HS freshman my dad was laid off, then he saw office space a few yrs later. He said his old company did the exact same thing. Brought in these guys and phased out different aspects of the company. He said they were very similar in how big of douchebags the movie guys are. In hindsight it allowed him to start his own business and make way more than he ever would at his old company. He still buys products from the old company and there is a lot of friction there, all those that stayed on the boat are pretty miserable.

To Top