1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GREY WIRE MOD

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by beach_yota03, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Aug 22, 2010 at 4:20 AM
    beach_yota03

beach_yota03 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jonny
    wilmington, north carolina
    Vehicle:
    03 taco sr5
    goin to do the grey wire mod today. hope all goes well!

2. Aug 22, 2010 at 4:40 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

It is sooooo easy it'll take longer to get the tools than it takes to do it !!!

yer gonna luv it !!

3. Aug 22, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Here's my question why do you think that Toyota designed the locker for use in low range only, I was thinking its because you could do damage engageing it at speeds higher in the 4 wheel high range, I have thought about doing the mod myself, but concerns about locking it up on the fly in 4 high have made me reluctant to do so.

4. Aug 22, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    No I think they added it as an overkill feature for when you are actually stuck. It says only use when stuck, which if I was stuck I would put it in 4 low to try and get out. Then I have the extra security of the locker.
    But lockers are designed to be used whenever and however you want to use them. The grey wire mod allows you to use it whenever you want, however, you still need to be going under 5mph for it to engage. But then you can drive as fast as need be with it locked.

5. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    beach_yota03

beach_yota03 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jonny
    wilmington, north carolina
    Vehicle:
    03 taco sr5
    ok i have trouble locking mine in 4 low what r the steps of getting it to lock in? the locker.

6. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    fireman_343

fireman_343 Ultimate TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Columbus, OHIO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Dlb Cab
    Viper Alarm, XD Series Wheels, Pioneer touch screen radio/nav system.
    Below 5mph (stopped is best) and push button (in 4L w/o gray wire mod) and once the light stops flashing it's engaged! Might have to go backwards for a few feet, then drive forward?

I'm going to do this to mine soon.. From what I understand, don't go too fast in 4H with it locked (like going down the highway 65mph locked). Haha

This has all been talked about in the GrayWire Mod thread!

7. Aug 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Yeah engage below 5mph, then drive slowly forward and turn slightly back and forth. It usually takes a tire revolution or 2.

8. Aug 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

As you state, you don't want to engage the locker on the fly, why not just engage the locker in 2w (after the grey mod) when you get off road & then you can engage your 4x on the fly as usual with no fear of damage. I too was reluctant to do the mod but now I'm glad I did it works flawlessly & seamless in operation....:D

9. Aug 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Doug, have you left the rear locked on the street, yet... (paved streets... I know you are in East County ;) )?

How is the steering if you have it locked on pavement? Do you hear the tires chirping?

Will you play PreRunner and try hill climbs in 2WD now?

10. Aug 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

OH HEEEEELL NO David never ,never,ever would I lock any diff. on pavement, too much of a chance of breaking drivetrain & it can be a little dangerous at speed but if you mean have I forgotten it & left it on, OH HEEEEEEELL NO David , Hope I don't, but I'm not in the habit of going for the little magic button till I'm on dirt.....:D

Already kinda tried,(locked 2w) but its just not the same in locked /4H/4L

Products Discussed in

To Top