1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

grey wire mod

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by 2003greenbean, Dec 8, 2007.

1. cynicalrider

cynicalrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4
    I'm going off this second write up here:
    http://ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Actuator_Rebuild

I will definitely take pics. I bought the truck last summer from the original owner and he never locked it so that's what, 12 years of non use? lol

2. BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD DC V6 SR5 4WD
    Thanks for that link! Very useful info at the trusty ttora site...as always.

3. cynicalrider

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4
    It's not going well. I took it off again and took it apart. It was corroded and the arm couldn't even move. I got it moving again but it still doesn't work. I think the worm gear is also stuck. Ugh.

4. 4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Shit, sorry to hear man, its just getting worse as you get deeper into it & you say its stuck ? If you can't free it up , your probably done because both surfaces with be pitted/corroded/rusted/etc: does the servo motor still work ?

5. cynicalrider

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4
    I unfortunately and stupidly enough didn't try to run the servo unassembled to see if the worm gear moves freely. It's what I am going to do today. When I tested it assembled after I freed the arm I felt the servo get warm but no movement. We'll see what today brings.

6. Silver02Taco

Silver02Taco Feet in the water...

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    San Jose, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2002 Xtra-Cab 4x4, V6, SR-5, TRD Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100 Front / 5125 Rear. Grey Wire Mod, BAMF Sliders, 15" Pro-Comp Steelies w/ 32"x11.50" Goodyear MTR's, Wet Okole's, Redline Hood Struts.
    :( That sucks. I hope you're able to salvage it. Finding another locker-motor isn't going to be easy if you can't.

7. cynicalrider

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4
    Yeah I didn't get to work on it today, but tomorrow is another day. At least I can take my locker on and off in 5-6 minutes flat.

8. Motokid817

Motokid817 Motokid817

Member:
    First Name:
    Shelby Pierson
    Edna,TX
    Vehicle:
    98 Lifted TRD Limited Taco
    4.5" suspension lift, air intake, allpro offroad baja taco front bumper, allpro tube rear bumper, 18 inch XD monster wheels, 35inch toyo open countrys
    Headed to the shop to do this now! Thank you for the pictures and everything!

9. TheBruce

TheBruce New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Olympic Penninsula
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    K&N intake, MBRP exhaust
    Has anybody tried this mod successfully on a 2007 TRD?

10. kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Tacoma, SR5, TRD Offroad, 5 speed, V6
    Toytec Coilovers, Old Man Emu Leaf Pack, 5100s, Light Bar with Hella 700ffs, Chopped Exhaust, Herculined Rocker Panels, Trail Gear rear bumper, tinted windows
    Only works on 1st gens

11. taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    Silver Taco
    3" Lift (Billies 5100 front and back), Toytec springs, All Pro 3" Standard Pack, LR UCA's, Diff Drop, SCS F5's, 265/75/16 Treadwright Wardens, Rear Diff Breather, pinch weld mod, Morimoto Projector retro w/ amber halo's, grey wire mod, Elite front bumper....so far....
    I finally got around to doing this.... I don't know what I was so scared of. This literally took me 6 minutes from start to finish (which included putting my floor mats in and a quick test of the switch). Great write up.

12. oneguyonetaco

oneguyonetaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DLX
    Airaid Jr Intake w/ Filter. Electric Fan. Modified Stock Throttle Body Gasket. Royal Purple Oil. NGK Iridium Plugs. Grey Wire Mod.
    Did this to mine N Love it!

13. 4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I'll tell you why, because like me I'm reluctant to start mojo'ing the electrical, especially with electronics our trucks have, when I finally did do it I kicked myself for waiting so long to do it, easily the best,easiest smartest,cheapest MOD going for a 1st gen. 4x...;)

14. BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    TRD S/C, TS PNP AEM FIC, TS 420cc injectors, TS water/meth, TS 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Finally Fiiiiinally did this. Wanted to get my locker working first. Great mod, and will be a big help in cycling the locker on and off- gotta "use it or loose it".

15. adamsson00

adamsson00 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffy
    Cape Breton, NS
    Vehicle:
    02 taco trd
    billy 5100's, top plate spacer, AAL, flipped helper spring, rancho RS 5000, unique rims, 32" B.F.G's, 1/4" wheel spacers, K&N air filter, locked rear diff, complete frame overhaul
    Great mod, and even better ttora locker rebuild, my locker doesn't work either, I just wish my actuator case was only corroded as his was :sick::sick:

16. cynicalrider

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4
    Same. This is as far as I got with the project:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ran out of time that day and had to throw it back on till I can get time to play with it again.

17. mrbillbrown

mrbillbrown Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mrbill
    Edmond,OK
    Vehicle:
    01 Limited TRD Off-Road
    Tagged for later. Thanks for posting the info

18. adamsson00

adamsson00 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffy
    Cape Breton, NS
    Vehicle:
    02 taco trd
    billy 5100's, top plate spacer, AAL, flipped helper spring, rancho RS 5000, unique rims, 32" B.F.G's, 1/4" wheel spacers, K&N air filter, locked rear diff, complete frame overhaul
    Not sure how to upload more than one pic at a time, seems to only upload the last one, anyway, here is mine, cover was corroded way worse than any others I seen, and before I even tried to take it off I noticed the cover was cracked in 3 spots and it was cracked all the way around the output shaft. This is after I got the cover off and the output shaft stayed in the middle. Anyone know if someone makes an aftermarket locker that bolts where this one came off? I can't even make a new cover an use this one bc I can't even get the worm gear to move, I couldn't even see it through the corroded aluminum. No posi marks for me

image.jpg

19. adamsson00

adamsson00 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffy
    Cape Breton, NS
    Vehicle:
    02 taco trd
    Also called the dealer, a replacement up here is $1400, gonna cut a plate and bolt it in over the hole in the rear diff for now

20. BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    TRD S/C, TS PNP AEM FIC, TS 420cc injectors, TS water/meth, TS 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Had a fun time wheeling in both high and low with the locker on. What top speed do you guys do when locked?

To Top