1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grey Wolf 21RR Toy Hauler with 2013 Limited 4.0L Taco with extras....

Discussion in 'Towing' started by OmegaQuest, May 29, 2013.

1. May 31, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    OmegaQuest

OmegaQuest [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Limited Double Cab 4X4
    Oil Catch Can, Motorcycle Chock, WeatherTech Window Deflectors, Bilstein 5100, OEM 4 Leaf, Chrome Satoshi Grille, FX-R Stage III Retrofit, Color Match Head Light Mod, Front Hella 500 HID, Behind Grill Light Bar, Rear LED Bed Lights, Pop and Lock Tailgate, Chrome License Plate Covers, AFE Air Filter, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Paint engine cover (Red), ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Center Console Organizer, ScanGauge 2, Firestone W217602407 Ride-Rite Kit, Firestone WR17602178 Air-Rite Dual Electric Air Command
    I ended up getting the 19RR

19RR Specs:
    Dry Hitch Weight 574 lbs.
    Unloaded Vehicle Weight 4,142 lbs.
    GVWR 7,574 lbs.
    Cargo Carrying Capacity 3,432 lbs.
    Exterior Length 23' 11"
    Exterior Height 10' 5"
    Exterior Width 97"

Any more suggestions besides get a bigger truck?

2. May 31, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    Enjoy yourself, don't be in a rush to get anywhere.
    If your careful, you'll be fine.

3. May 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Oil Catch Can, Motorcycle Chock, WeatherTech Window Deflectors, Bilstein 5100, OEM 4 Leaf, Chrome Satoshi Grille, FX-R Stage III Retrofit, Color Match Head Light Mod, Front Hella 500 HID, Behind Grill Light Bar, Rear LED Bed Lights, Pop and Lock Tailgate, Chrome License Plate Covers, AFE Air Filter, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Paint engine cover (Red), ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Center Console Organizer, ScanGauge 2, Firestone W217602407 Ride-Rite Kit, Firestone WR17602178 Air-Rite Dual Electric Air Command
    That is what I am hoping, but people over at the 19RR forums say otherwise.

I even went to a CAT Scale today and loaded the truck up with all the camping gear and me and the wife and weighed both the front and rear axle and gross weight.

Keep in mind this is without the Toy Hauler or the Motorcycle and Spyder because those will be in the Toy Hauler and I dont take ownership of the 19RR until next weekend.

CAT Scale Results:

"steer" (front axle) 2,800 lbs.
    "drive axle (rear axle) 2,320 lbs.
    Gross: 5,120 lbs.

4. Jun 1, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    Before the mid 90's, when turbo diesel's hadn't taken off yet, everybody towed more than their max tow limit! Yes, it is nice to have more power than you need, but I've seen tacoma's pull 100+ bales of hay (minimum 8000 lbs with trailer) with little or no problem.
    My 97 f350 weighs 9500lbs and has a max towing capacity of 13000 lbs, but I've pulled a 18500lbs backhoe on a 6500lbs trailer, 25000lbs total, double the max tow for my truck. Can it pull it? Of course, just not at freeway speeds safely, because I couldn't slow it down fast enough.
    Your loaded trailer will not be over the Tacoma's tow limit, you've prepared your truck with airbags which won't allow the truck to sag, you've bought the proper hitch setup so you can eliminate trailer sway as much as possible, I think you'll be fine, maybe you won't be passing everybody, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. I think you wanted a compromise, a great dd that can tow within reason, and is easy to drive and park etc.
    You will just have to go try it out, let us know what YOU think. I hope you're satisfied, if not, the Tacoma has the best resale of any vehicle I've seen.

5. Jun 1, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    FFRNDAN

FFRNDAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Edinburg, Oh
    Vehicle:
    09 Acess Cab 4x4 MGM
    One more STRONG suggestion is a transmission fluid cooler, in ADDITION to the stock cooler. This can, and will save your auto transmission. Also get yourself a temp guage. My scanguage II will read trans temp for me. Its surprising how quickly it can warm up when towing.

6. Jun 1, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    This.

7. Jun 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
  8. Jun 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    Buckoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    My opinion is if you're going to haul heavy trailers then you should get a proper vehicle, and I suspect that's what they're saying in the toy hauler forums. It's one thing to occasional tow something like that, but to do it 6 times a year for thousands of miles is bad juju and you're not doing the Tacoma any favors. It's like a dude I know wanting to hunt elk with his 30-30... sure you can do it, and take a bunch of little measures to mitigate the glaring deficiency, or you can man up and get the right tool for the job. If you're going to do something do it well and if you want one vehicle to be a jack of all trades then it will do few things really well.

Generally, the heavier the vehicle the more you can exceed GVWR towing. The mid-sized Tacoma is relatively light. You have taken some good measures and that's great, but you're not going to have any guts on the road and you're running the vehicle into the ground much faster. If you're OK with that then go forth and do great things.

9. Jun 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    reefisher

reefisher New Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4.0L V6 TRD 4x4
    I have the 2013 taco 4x4 double cab v6 with towing package. I bought a 19' 4" Coachmen Apex with a dry weight of 3298 lbs. Electric brakes, weight dist. hitch etc. First trip out I estimated the loaded weight to be 3900-4000 lbs (probably less) everything was fine until we started up the grade on I-8 east of San Diego. It is only a 6% but is sustained for maybe 5 miles. I had the truck in 2nd gear at approx. 3200 rpm and it was straining at 30 MPH. I don't want to do that again, but in California you can hardly go anywhere without encountering a 6% grade on route. Our plans were to travel the western states and stay in mountain locals in US Forest service camps, that's why we thought a 4x4 tacoma and a small light trailer would work. No no and no. I am quite disappointed. I thought I did my homework, and on this forum no less. I read several that said they no trouble towing around 4,400 lbs. in the mountains of CO etc. I believe the "show us what you tow" is a big pissing contest with a lot of BS.

Jim/ San Diego

10. Jun 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    Do able vs do able safely.
    Load equalizer, anti sway, electric brakes as minimums.
    Steering and the weight of the trailer pushing on deceleration will be a thrill at times.
    Wear and tear will be significant on the drivetrain.
    That's pushing the envelope for trailer vs vehicle weight. Despite all the countermeasures, I don't think it's a safe combination.
    Leave lots of room in front, and go slow. You don't want to put the general public at risk.
    That last item is the most important consideration.

11. Jun 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    Buckoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    Good call, Jim from SD... I always try to be very honest and conservative when it comes to capabilities, whether it's recommended rig stats for a trail run or something like towing. I don't feel like being responsible (not that I really would be, but you know what I mean) for BS that occurs by promising stuff and just try to give info that will help someone whether they like it or not.

Don't get me wrong, these are great tough trucks and I've been known to push things outside of normal parameters on occasion, but if you actually plan on skirting the envelope on a consistent basis you're sure to be disappointed. I tow 5500-8500lbs about a dozens time a year, usually up mountain grades... but I have 3/4 ton HD that pulls like a dream :D

12. Jun 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    ManMan

ManMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have 15ft toy hauler that weighs 5k loaded out with two bikes, gear, water, etc. I've pulled it up 8% grades and in heavy winds etc. Personally, I would NOT pull a larger trailer with the Tacoma. I avg 10mpg and that 8% grade had me in a 2nd gear crawl.

Read the towing bible sticky.. it's pretty spot-on. You'll need tow mirrors, brake controller, WD/sway hitch, air bags, better brake pads etc, tranny cooler, etc.

For a transmission cooler A Hayden 679 will fit in front of the radiator and is the biggest you can fit in there... I highly recommend it. I have my stock unit by-passed and am probably going to plumb it as a power steering cooler.

13. Jun 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Or get a tundra and tow space shuttles...

14. Jun 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    I have a forest river surveyor and the factory weights don't mean JACK. On a scale it weighs 7400lbs (with nothing in it!), but the manufacturer says max GVW is 6900. (I tow this trailer with my Yukon XL 8200lb factory tow rating).You need to look at trailers with a MAX GVW of 5k that leaves you another 1000lbs roughly for yourself, gear, and gas.

I would highly NOT recommend you tow with this trailer. It will pull it, but it can not stop it effectively (Even with a trailer brake). or keep it from swaying.

15. Jun 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    flyingpostman

flyingpostman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Caledon, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab, SR5
    I was in a similar situation. We ended up buying a 25' TT last fall with a dry weight of 4000lb. After much thought over the winter I traded the Tacoma in for an F150 (like you I considered getting rid of the Tacoma as "not an option"). Even with the 5.0L 365hp V8, you can feel that trailer back there on moderate grades and it has to work. Dry weight is a joke, we've loaded 100's of pounds of "essentials" into that trailer without even trying, not to mention food, kid's gear, etc. I loved my Tacoma, but a full size truck is needed here, and even then it isn't hard to bump into a half-ton's max payload.

16. Jun 5, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    OmegaQuest

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Can you take some photos of the cooler. I have the tow package which already added a little added trans cooler to the bottom right side infront of the radiator.

So if I get the 679 (which Amazon says wont fit my truck - 2013 taco - http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automo...370442412&sr=8-9&keywords=Transmission+Cooler ) where does it go? Do I remove the old added trans cooler and put the new one there? Do I place the new cooler on the other side of the radiator (left side).....

Or should I just get a fan and add it to the back of the tow package transmission cooler (it dosent have one now) or add a fan to the front of the radiator pushing air through the radiator to help the fan behind the radiator which pulls air through the radiator?

Photos would be helpfull to get an idea. I want to make "this" truck "AS" capable of towing my 19RR loaded as I can.

DSC_6338.jpg
    DSC_6540.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  17. Jun 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    ManMan

ManMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fans become a restriction at speed... And transmissions don't overheat at idle. So no, a fan is worthless. That's why everyone is recommending a bigger cooler.

Yes, a 679 will fit on the RH (passenger) side. Don't believe me or Amazon... Get a tape measure and make sure yourself. I can't get pictures up any time soon. But I will try later.

Look at my sig for what I've done and recommend... Read the towing bible sticky! I'd you are towing hills much you'll want a supercharger and trans body upgrade. But you'd be better off with a bigger truck. This coming from a guy who loves his Taco but is looking at upgrading

18. Jun 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    *terrible australian accent* Thats not a trans coolah...

[​IMG]

That's a trans coolah... (40kGVW TruCool unit)

19. Jun 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Agreed. Alot of guys like that on here. The Tacoma is a good truck, but for the right person, some people are really overdoing it and kidding themselves when they think they're in Tundra territory. And to OP, I wouldnt get that unit, as mentioned, unless you're only going 30 miles tops, its too big for the truck. And thats coming from a guy with at least 50k miles of towing experience of every load type.

20. Jun 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Here and there. Sometimes.
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.
    Why couldn't you put the bike in the bed of the truck, and get a smaller trailer?

Products Discussed in

To Top