1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grill color help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by longbow, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Sep 23, 2008 at 11:22 AM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Just did that, still debating. But went ahead and relocated the horns, boy that was a easy mod.

2. Sep 23, 2008 at 11:29 AM
    CometKat

CometKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4 Regular Cab SR5
    I’d leave it chrome but paint everything behind it black.

3. Sep 23, 2008 at 11:34 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Ya thought of that to, but the chrome has a bunch of rock hits on it. Needless to say it isn't the greatest chrome job.
    I checked a local body shop, great group of people. They said they would paint it any color I wanted for half the cost of a new one.
    Something else to think about.

And true the behind area needs painted black, will hit that asap.

4. Sep 23, 2008 at 11:51 AM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    Have you ever heard of black chrome? They used to use it more in the old days (like 20 or 30 years ago), but it's starting to come back ever so slowly. Check it out; it would look really good because it matches the color of the window tinting.

And before you do the billet grille, have you considered how restrictive those big metal plates are? Mesh may not be your favorite look, but it's the easiest breather for the engine besides a gaping hole.

5. Sep 23, 2008 at 1:51 PM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    I seen the black/chrome, but most of the pic's are piss poor. I did not look on rides here yet.
    I have a carriage works billet grill on now, I will say it is heavy considering the others. And true the plates are wide, but I have not noticed any change.
    It made a BIG difference in re-locating the horns, sort of even's everything out, except for the cooler at the lower left.
    I also need to keep in mind that I am going to do a behind the grill light mod, if anyone out there knows, is the housing on the hella's metal or a poly of some type :confused:. I had 2 sets of Piaa's on my other, but they are prone to rust. Been their and done that.

6. Sep 23, 2008 at 7:13 PM
    CornDog

CornDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gallant, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 SpeedWay Blue Double Cab Tacoma
    12000 lb Milemarker Winch Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard Gear Motorsports Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit w Ipod Interface, 2 Diamond D3 10's in custom box, UWS black tool box. N-fab stepbars, 15% tint, bug deflector,ventvisors, K&N Series 77 Cold air Intake, Hi lift jack mounted, 4D-LED maglite mounted, Lund Grill Screen
    those motos are sweet i was torn between those and the ones i got. i got an offroad too and i too was torn between black and color match. the only prob is the black i looked at was a real shiny black that matched up with the black sport tacoma.... that didnt look rite on my truck.....its speedgay blue so ya no. id color match it and leave it be. keep the grille.......... u already paid for it.... lol thats a sweet ride tho i really like it.

7. Sep 23, 2008 at 9:24 PM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    There are a number of Lexus vehicles on the road with badges done in the black chrome if you've ever seen that--it shine just like chrome but it has a really nice magnesium sort of color to it. I really like how it looks; if I had the patience and the money and the time to do it to my grill I would.

8. Oct 1, 2008 at 4:19 PM
    99TRD

99TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    I am looking to replace the piece of chrome that wraps over the grille. I hate chrome and would love to get black. Any ideas on where to get one that fits PERFECTLY?

9. Oct 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM
    TheOne

TheOne Beach Prerunner

Member:
    East Coast, nc
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Impulse red
    stock
    go wth black

10. Oct 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member