1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

grill help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jfrost007, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Mar 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    jfrost007

jfrost007 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Charles, LA
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner 4.0
    Magnaflow Exhaust,AFE Pro Dry S, BHLM, Grillcraft grill, hella 500s, Sockmoney black vinyl badges, OME 885s, OME Front and Rear shocks, toytec aal, Built Right UCAs, 255/85r16 BFG KM2s, Powder Coated Valance , Stealth Custom Series Wheels,
    so, i painted my chrome grill to match my truck the other day, but i must have done something wrong, or didnt wait long enough before i sprayed the silver streak because it peeling when i put the clear coat on and now its all messed up. So now im thinking about taking to a auto body and paint shop and have then sand it down and prep it and paint it again, or im thinking of separating the chrome part from the actual grill, and buying a new color matched grill and taking the colored part of the new grill off and installing that on my old grill. The reason for this is because i have a grillcraft grill and 2 hellas installed on it and dont want to have to do it all over again. 1st off, what do you think i sure do, and 2nd, is there a way to even take apart the chrome part and the grill?

2. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2010DCSB4X4TRDORMGM
    See build thread.
    how long did you wait in between coats? Did you sand the chrome off first? Did you use some sort of solvent to clean it off? Prime?

??????

3. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    jfrost007

jfrost007 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Charles, LA
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner 4.0
    Magnaflow Exhaust,AFE Pro Dry S, BHLM, Grillcraft grill, hella 500s, Sockmoney black vinyl badges, OME 885s, OME Front and Rear shocks, toytec aal, Built Right UCAs, 255/85r16 BFG KM2s, Powder Coated Valance , Stealth Custom Series Wheels,
    yes, yes, i sanded the chrome, used adhesion promoter, then primed, then color, then clear, waited probably 10 mins between each coat

4. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    cmm1980

cmm1980 SAVAGE BEAST

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Evergreen State
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD SR5
    2.5" Leveling Kit by Daystar, 18" KMC Rockstar wheels, Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's LT285/65R18, Chrome Tailpipe Tip, AFE Pro Dry Stage 2, AFE Bullet Throttle Body Spacer, Tinted Windows at 20%, Sylvania Head Lights Silver Star Ultra, Fog Lights Silver Star, Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover.
    I just did the same thing with no problems what so ever. I used a adhesion promoter, primer, color matching paint and clear coat after I sanded the chrome down. I would say before you spend money at a repair shop to sand everything and repaint.
    Sucks though that this happened to you.

5. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    cmm1980

cmm1980 SAVAGE BEAST

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Evergreen State
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD SR5
    2.5" Leveling Kit by Daystar, 18" KMC Rockstar wheels, Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's LT285/65R18, Chrome Tailpipe Tip, AFE Pro Dry Stage 2, AFE Bullet Throttle Body Spacer, Tinted Windows at 20%, Sylvania Head Lights Silver Star Ultra, Fog Lights Silver Star, Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover.
    Was everything dry after 10 mins? I was waiting about 30 min between each coat.

6. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Edmonton AB
    Vehicle:
    07 2wd access cab base.
    Kenwood DDX-512 Deck, Boston Acoustics G5 Sub in Ported Bassworx Box, Kenwood eXcelon KAC-X10D Amp, Sirius Satellite Radio, Magellan GPS, DDM 55w bi-xenon headlights, 2 HID Hella 500ff's mounted behind grill, 4 pc ebay Billet grill, Fog Lights (my truck didnt have them stock), Pioneer Speakers 6x9's(front) 6.5's(rear) AFE Cold Air Intake, Hose Clamp Mod, Tailgate Strengthen Mod, Removed Gay Mud Flaps, De-Badged, BHLM, 245/45/20 on velocity wheels. VW865a, Extra D Rings In Box, OEM Cruise Added Optima Red Top Battery
    it could be the clear reacting with the paint. i've seen that happen sometimes. if it doesn't work again try a different clear

7. Mar 25, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    i fuct up the paint on one of my headlights when i did the bhlm. i just sanded and repainted! thats my advise to you. dont get discouraged, just sand that thing down and give it another shot!

To Top