1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grilled potato art

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by Poindexter, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Sep 13, 2020 at 11:05 PM
    Poindexter

Poindexter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    north of Denali
    Vehicle:
    15 V6 auto 4x4 mag gray
    What have you got?

I am struggling to push out a decent galette in an indoor kitchen. What I want is a thing made out of potato to put on a plate under a fabulous steak. It should be about 8-10 inches in diameter. Ideally it would have an outer crust like a potato chip and an inside like a baked potato, light, fluffy and fully cooked inside, crunchy but not burnt outside. And I want to do it outdoors on live fire. At 20 below.

The main contenders are a galette (French for "flat round cake"), Pomme Anna (fussy as that crazy girl you gave up on dating) and possibly Francis Malmann's potato dominos. Open to other contenders.

Paging @CurtB .

The only one I have been able to push out successfully is basically a hashbrown as well explicated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsN_2IOtl8

I don't want a hashbrown under a tomohawk, I want a fooking galette. Made of thinly sliced potato glued together with its own starch (yes, I watched the youtube of the Russian guy wearing ice skates in his kitchen), I am sure as the Lord made little green apples not rinsing and drying slices of Russet to then dip them in a corn starch slurry.

So far I have tried butter, safflower oil and clarified butter as my oils. Looking at that bottle of peanut oil, it is starting to talk to me. I ate three fist sized Russets tonight and will hopefully have a poop the size of the Titanic tomorrow. Also, if you are going to fool with this, skip all the potatoes except Russets and Yukon Gold until you have earned your wings, the little red ones especially just don't have anough starch to cook themselves together.

I do have a set of four identical Lodge 10" cast iron skillets, so I got weighting the top covered.

I think I am up against a temperature problem. Do I get the outside crunchy and then bake the raw middle of my potato sculpture, or bake it and then sort or reverse sear the exterior to crucnchy?

Thanks in advance.

Bigdaddy4760, CurtB and wilcam47 like this.
  2. Sep 13, 2020 at 11:16 PM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    OEM: TRD Pro Grille & Garnish, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD Pro Rear Tail Lights, Tailgate Remote Lock, Black Chrome Exhaust Tip, Black Emblem Overlays, Bed Mat Vorra65 AC Drain Mod Kit FBC Harness Solutions (aka daveeasa) D-I-R Harness with Aux out Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount MESO: Gashole, Total Tails Stg1, V5 Switchback Mirror Turn Signals, HitchPod + S1, Vent Rings AJT Designs: Radio Knobs, Door Handle Covers Black Forest Industries Shift Knob for R8…using an adapter MountainHatch Tailgate Insert KTJO4x4 Drivers Side Grab Handle Cali Raised Catalytic Converter Shields BajaDesigns NextGen Squadron SAE Amber fogs Bilstein 6112 Front & 5160 Rear ICON Add-A-Leaf pack ICON Sway Bar Relocation Blocks ECGS Bushing 17” SEMA Gunmetal Gray Wheels with LT255/75R17 KO2’s Active Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit w/Timbren Bump Stops Redline Elite Hood Struts
    There was potatoes in that video? All I saw were melons...

Tacospike, CurtB and wilcam47 like this.
  3. Sep 13, 2020 at 11:18 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
  4. Sep 13, 2020 at 11:19 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    She shredded the potato nicely

KY_Rob[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 14, 2020 at 5:25 PM
    Poindexter

Member:
    north of Denali
    Vehicle:
    15 V6 auto 4x4 mag gray
    wilcam47[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Sep 14, 2020 at 9:24 PM
    Poindexter

Member:
    north of Denali
    Vehicle:
    15 V6 auto 4x4 mag gray
    I also found this one, looks more like what I want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPElXh6B_kU

I did crack open my Julia Child, 2009 reprint, volume II, page 402, Julia makes them from precooked mashed potatoes. So my next three cooks are chosen.

wmb67 and wilcam47 like this.
  7. Sep 15, 2020 at 6:19 AM
    Kanyon71

Kanyon71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MI
    Best way is to foil cover and bake it to set and soften the inside then once that’s ready (use a knife or fork to test tenderness) you remove the foil and bake till golden brown. You can also use broiler (restaurants would probably use a salamander) just have to watch it because you can go from done to burned very quick.

wilcam47 and CurtB like this.
  8. Sep 15, 2020 at 8:30 AM
    Tacospike

Tacospike Semi-Unknown Custodial Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    That looks good

wilcam47 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top