1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grills, Noob needs help/opinions still

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FL4x4Taco, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:26 PM
    FL4x4Taco

FL4x4Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Looking around the net I've seen a lot of nice looking grills for our trucks. I think the one I like the best is the T-Rex Mesh. Plan on doing just the lower bumper portion first. I see they offer it in either chrome or black. My truck is white, and pretty much stock. I don't want to attract any attention. I just don't like how the radiator/condensor are getting eaten alive by bugs and stones on the hwy. The T-Rex mesh looks like it will stop most of the garbage from getting to the radiator, and it looks slick :cool:. I don't know anything about grills, I've always welded my own steel bumpers up. Is there a better brand for this type of grill I'm looking at? And how does it install.... do you cut the factory fins out of the lower bumper? And is the black durable.. b/c I don't want it chipping and peeling in 2yrs. After doing the lower grill, I'll think about replacing my upper grill bug screen with a whole mesh grill to match.

2. Jun 18, 2009 at 4:14 AM
    FL4x4Taco

FL4x4Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    what. nobody knows anything about grills?

3. Jun 18, 2009 at 5:39 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Well I will try to help. Some of the grilles are different in the way they mount.
    Most cases the lower grille is a bolt over, no big deal.
    The upper can be a bolt over but most people go with a cut out. Now depending on what you get will depend on how much work. Some need fiber glass to do a little mod work before installation. For me and the type I have it was a simple cut out, sand smooth, prime and paint black. The grille installed with screws, and I used these nut things on the back to keep it from coming loose. Easy job if you take your time and a weekend project.
    The side wings are bolt over.

As for bugs, the mesh will slow them down, but for me I clean the inside area out everytime I wash, so really no bug issues here.
    Hope this helps a little.

4. Jun 18, 2009 at 6:09 AM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco Double Cab TRD
    Bilstein 5100's all around, front set at 2.5", Toytec AAL, 265/75/16 Duratracs, Pro Comp 5001, Weathertech's, AVS In Channel Visors, Nokya Hyper Yellow fogs, CB Set up, Color matched grill surround, ATC Camper Shell with Yakima Racks, SOS Concepts Regular Rear Bumper.
    I have a grillcraft MX, and I have never had any issues with bugs or such. You have to cut out the black shroud in the middle and then its 6 screws. Theres a write up on here on how to install. Theres actually a group buy going on right now for these....just a suggestion..

[​IMG]

To Top