1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grinding when put in first gear. What's wrong?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by yota32, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jun 21, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    yota32

yota32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey guys, I just bought a 2001 taco with the 2.7 and 5 speed manual. It drove great on the test drive but now, when I shift into first gear, it grinds but not all the time. It seems really hard to put into first as well but only when the truck is in motion. Basically, I'll be slowing down, put it into 2nd, let the clutch out and engine brake for bit, push clutch back in and put it in first, as I am putting it in first, it grinds half way through. I'm maybe going 15 mph when I put it in first with my foot on the brake. If I'm at a stand still it is very smooth going into first. Are these transmissions really that finicky? If I go slower, it goes into first just fine. What's the deal? I have a 30 day warranty and I'll use it if I have to. Is something wrong with my clutch/trans? Thanks guys

2. Jun 21, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Pretty much the only time you should shift into first is at a stop or less than 5 mph. It will be hard to put in first going any faster.

3. Jun 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    96er

96er Sport Rally'er

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma XCab 4x4 SR5
    It is also notorious for the manuals to be hard to engage 1st when cold. Even in 80 degree temps, when the engine is still warming up, 1st can be a bit of a pain. Don't be afraid of this, don't force it into first and don't be afraid to start in 2nd gear the first or second stop you come to.

Now if you hear and audible grinding, the synchro could be fouled. Good news is if you did need a new tranny, the manuals are cheap.

4. Jun 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    yota32

Member:

Well that would make sense; it goes in pretty easy (that's what she said) when I'm going slow and first gear is a very short gear as well.

5. Jun 21, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    scocar

scocar Scouting the perimeter for weakness

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Back to square one after the 2001. So...
    ^^^^ absolutely. If you are rolling even slightly, use 2nd. If you have to stop anyway, what is the benefit of cramming it into 1st before you are stopped? It will go in as soon as it wants to. Never force it.

Also, I put Redline MT90 synthetic in mine, and it is noticeably smoother, especially when cold. Since you have been grinding 'em to find 'em, you should proabably change your oil now anyway...and as a suggestion, I would avoid downshifting and engine breaking at those low speeds anyway if conditions allow. Brakes pads are consumeable and cheap compared to a tranny.

Not trying to be preachy, just sharing experience. I have driven a manual all my life. Agressive, habitual downshifting in my first car when I was young and stupid (I have since changed, and am now old and stupid) cost me 3rd gear. Leasson learned. :eek:

6. Jun 21, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    yota32

Member:
    Good advice bro. I haven't driven a manual toyota in a while (since HS and college and that was 14 years ago, yikes). I have a 2009 Civic Si for my DD which is completely different manual than the truck (obviously)...an 8000 RPM redline is a ton of fun! Just have to get used to the truck manual. Yeah, every gear goes in like butter; I've driven it since this post and kept it under 5mph before putting er into first gear. Thanks guys; just want to make sure my truck isn't broken!

To Top