1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ground Clearance Question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Will Prerunner, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    Just installed OME shocks in the front of my truck. I gained 2 inches under where the front skid plate is while keeping the same tires. From reading other threads I was under the impression you would only gain ground clearance if you got bigger tires. I now have over a foot of clearance, almost 13 inches. Anybody know whats up, why others have said you don't gain any clearance?

2. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Did you just get shocks or also new coils?

3. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:32 PM
    Will Prerunner

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    New coils too. I realize that I won't get added clearance in the back, but I did't realize it would give me that much clearance in the front. I guess with the IFS it kind of pulls the lower control arms up(I think thats what there called. I was sort of waiting to get a lift until I got new tires, cause I thought I would'nt get added clearance, but apparently you do.

4. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:38 PM
    alteredillusions

alteredillusions Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wichita KS
    Vehicle:
    SR5 2.7 manual
    I might be wrong. But if you changed coils and shocks you put a lift on you front end. That is the reasoning for the extra clearance. Some will corect me if I'm wrong

5. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    All of the OME coils give lift. The coils push your control arms down/the body of the vehicle up. So then the more clearacne between the skid and the ground.

6. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:44 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    Ground clearance at the lowest point of your truck, usually the rear diff housing, doesn't change without increasing tire size. More lift, bigger tires.

7. Dec 16, 2009 at 3:46 PM
    Will Prerunner

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    Ya I just wanted to clear that up because some people on here have told me the only way to add clearance is bigger tires but that isn't true. Stock my lowest point was near the front skids and was a little over 10 inches. Now my lowest point is near the rear differential and is about 11 inches. So just adding the OME coils I gained almost a full inch without even putting on bigger tires.

8. Dec 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Newark, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Access 6spd
    Hardwire GPS, 110v power outlet in cab, foglights anytime, mudflaps removed, pa-15 ipod interface, rear leaf tsb, URD short shift, integrated third brake/cargo light, ABS disable switch, BHLM, Dynomax super turbo muffler, Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17, Front Bilstein 5100's at 1.75, Weathertech floormats, sockmonkey bedsides, bestop supertop, spidertrax
    Solid rear axle vs. independant front

To Top