1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ground Point for Hardwiring Sirius?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cgsewanee, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Feb 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    cgsewanee

cgsewanee [OP] Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4
    I'm looking for a good place to ground my sirius radio (it's actually the extra cigarette lighter behind the dash that I'm grounding). I need a ground point behind the stereo. I can't seem to find where the stereo is grounded without taking the entire dash apart. The 2 or 3" metal bar behind the stereo is too difficult to solder to. Any help?

2. Feb 8, 2009 at 11:23 PM
    cgsewanee

cgsewanee [OP] Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4
    nevermind i found it

3. Feb 11, 2009 at 11:16 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    enjoy sirius as long as you can.

U.S.-based Sirius XM said close to bankruptcy filing

Last Updated: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 | 6:09 PM ET Comments56Recommend27

CBC News

Satellite radio giant Sirius XM is close to filing for bankruptcy protection in the U.S.. according to a report in the New York Times.
    Sirius XM was created when two competing companies — Sirius and XM — merged. Together, they have more than $5 billion US in assets and the bankruptcy could be one of the largest in U.S. history.
    In Canada, they're still separate companies, but there are questions about what will happen to their Canadian listeners if the U.S. parent goes bust.
    Sirius XM pumps out music and entertainment on more than 100 channels every day. CBC Radio One and Radio 3 are among the stations carried by Sirius Canada.
    Tight credit markets hurting Sirius XM

Rival satellite radio companies Sirius and XM merged last year because of financial difficulties.
    But Sirius XM has never made money and it's carrying a debt of more than $3.25 billion US.
    In good times, it could manage the debt and pay high-profile shock jocks such as Howard Stern, who makes $100 million annually.
    But now there's a deep recession and tight credit markets are hurting the business.
    Sirius XM could default on $150-million US payment at the end of this month.
    Reports say the company has hired lawyers to help seek Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the US.
    Kaan Yigit, president of Solutions Research Group in Toronto, says filing for Chapter 11 will give Sirius XM time to restructure.
    "What that business is facing is the perfect storm of factors," Yigit, who has expertise in satellite radio, told CBC News.
    But the question is whether XM Sirius can come up with a business model that will work, especially in a recession.
    "The combined entity XM Sirius ... may cease to exist in six months to a year," he said.

4. Feb 11, 2009 at 11:23 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB - Super White
    SOLD!
    I must say, after being a XM and Sirius subscriber for over a year each, there is not much praise to give for either. The sound quality sucks (factory and direct module connections), and horrible customer service.

You'll see XM Sirius in the hands of a new owner very soon. Their debt and NOL is so high it does not look like there is any possible way they can come out of the red at this point.

5. Feb 12, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars w/Thules ski and bike attachments, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, roadmaster active rear suspension, more when $$$ allows
    Slacker radio through a BlackBerry Storm... free solution and one of many that will kill the sat radio stations.

6. Feb 12, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    You could use a quick-tap into the ground wire coming from the cigarette lighter socket.

7. Feb 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    drifter379

drifter379 CenTex Honky

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    Secondary Air filter mod,Removed running boards,AFE Pro dry filter,sirius satelite radio,relocated horns,sockmonkey decal,EZ change drain plug,color matched grille,grille craft mx, BHLM, Fog light mod, Hellas behind the grille
    I havent pulled my dash out yet but are you saying there is another cigerette lighter behind the dash or are you wiring into the back of the lighter?

According to Sirius higher ups the press release about is a phony.

8. Feb 13, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Sorry didn't get in until late tonight. The cigarette lighters in our trucks are mounted in plastic (dash bezel), so they have both a hot and a ground wire coming off them in the rear. I would just tap into the ground wire to ground a stereo. Since the lighter is purely a resistive load, it won't put any kind of interference generating noise on that ground line. And since the lighter can pull 15 amps, that ground wire is fairly heavy duty.

To Top