1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grounding Throttlebody?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by NC15TRD, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    this. our trucks are advanced to the point of being able to advance or retard the timing for whatever type of fuel you use. I doubt a tiny bit "hotter spark" would change a thing to the point of the end user being able to notice it

now stop debating it, go do it and watch nothing happen. Ill wait here and do the exact same thing...watch nothing happen.

2. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    [​IMG]
    :notsure:

3. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Just making sure :D

4. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4

A tacoma habit and a coke habit are two different things budget-wise. Eh, maybe not

5. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod

6. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    BradleyScottETC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4

7. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod

8. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
  9. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    BradleyScottETC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Whats funny is that he felt compared to grow a beard.

10. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I suppose it does complete the look. I mean, go big or go home!

11. Jun 23, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    I think im gonna try this when I get home. i already have the Big 3 upgrade done.

12. Jun 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    i can see your ass fire from here, stinks too.

13. Jun 23, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I can't imagine that any component of the throttle body uses a local ground. You have the stepper motor (or is it a servo?) that controls the throttle plate, and most likely a throttle position sensor to confirm that the throttle is at the position the computer thinks it is. Both of those should have their own grounds in the wiring harness.

I'm stumped as to why grounding it would have any effect on performance at all. I'd like to see dyno numbers. Should be ridiculously easy to do before/after tests on that.

14. Jun 23, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Higher voltage leads to a larger volume of strongly ionized fuel/air mixture, which is what (through heat) begins the ignition process. The lower the voltage, the weaker the spark. At higher engine speeds it becomes a greater problem.

I suspect that with normal system voltage (12.5-14 volts) with good grounds there is plenty of secondary voltage to make a great spark. If your grounds are bad and the coils are seeing less than 12 volts, you might begin to have high-engine-speed misfiring. That's where improving the grounds and the voltage to the coils would help you a lot.

15. Aug 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Stumbled upon this recently. Decided to be open minded about any of it.

Truck on or off there is a resistance to ground of a few k ohms from the throttle body housing to the battery negative terminal.

Checking the engine ground, showed very low ohms of around .1>.2 ohms. I would say also that the ability to carry high current is there since the truck starter turns fine. The engine seems well grounded.

So yes the throttle body itself is somewhat insulated or poorly grounded.

Seeing what confusion occurs to electronics in modern aircraft from poor grounding, I opted in slightly different than the OP.

Knowing the engine is a suitable ground, I ran a short 18 gauge wire from a throttle body bolt (lower aft) to one of the airbox mount bolts. Actually, the ring terminal is positioned against the actual engine material, with the airbox cushion grommet on top of the terminal. The airbox bolt install looks oem. There is a small diameter tube the bolt secures against, this tube is what clamps the terminal to the engine tightly.

No photos since it is well placed and hidden unless closely inspected.

Does it work or change anything? Initially I would say yes. After more miles maybe not but no real means to prove either way.

As the OP stated, the truck shifts better. I tend to agree with the truck being less confused about what gear it needs.

One time it did seem obviously better was while on cruise control, same route taken each day. Climbing one particular overpass, the truck normally labors and does not downshift. Today, it climbed the hill, downshifted before laboring very smooth and planned.

Needs more seat time to really tell, but the task was easy, can't really hurt anything so I plan to leave it.

FWIW, airflow on aircraft generates static, we take great measures to ensure all parts are electrically bonded to dissipate any static buildup. The throttle body is technically not electrically bonded on account of the high resistance reading. Air does pass through the throttle, maybe it does build static that varies.

My 2010 has always shifted like crap. Soft shifts and sometimes confused about what gear to be in. I spoke with the Toyota tech about it, they even checked for the latest programing and drove it. He mentioned that many complaints are made about the automatics acting this way, especially from owners of older non computer shifted vehicles.

With the wire it so far has not been unsure about what gear to be in. So possibly it does help, not to make huge HP, just a bit more driveable.

On paper it should make no change, on the truck it could be.

PK

16. Aug 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    TacoBS

TacoBS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billyson
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite 4x4 DCLB
    2"/1" spacer/block (for now) Tailgate hoseclamp bedmat mod Marathon covers Weathertech mats
    ^ Nice objective write-up. thx!

17. Aug 16, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    2K6 Taco

2K6 Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport D-Cab LG Bed
    1 year later, any results? did anyone's truck blow up?

18. Aug 17, 2012 at 4:39 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Bump

19. Aug 17, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    He results are on the first page.

Point to note, with the factory plastic intake manifold on (N/A) the throttle body is isolated from the grounding/bonding straps that are on the engine block.

The only thing I can see this doing is possibly making the throttle body respond faster than it normally does. Possibly making it more of a linear actuation with reference to the pedal position. Meaning more like a cable TB. POSSIBLY.

The easiest way I can tell to test the theory, is to have someone with an X-1 or UCON do similar pulls of acceleration and datalog before and after the grounding wire. If the datalogs show a difference in throttle positions for the same habits, before and after, then it is validated proof.

20. Aug 24, 2012 at 11:49 PM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Yes, but the TPS electronics have their own ground just for this reason as do most other sensors on the motor, for instance the TPS has 3 wires, 1st is the 5v signal, 2nd is the ground, 3rd is the feedback signal. I dont see how mod can help, but who knows...but I have never personally tested it or the signals before and after to even see if there is a voltage difference, or improvement in stability or whatever the benefit may be.

Products Discussed in

To Top