1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cam gears for V6. Add power AND mpg

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by mightytacoman, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Jul 17, 2020 at 10:07 AM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    If you’re like @nd4spdbh then probably until your clothes go out of style :boink:

Torspd and ARoman83 like this.
  2. Jul 17, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

WOOOOOOOOOW LOW BLOW sir. LOW blow....

*looks over at valve cover gaskets sitting on computer desk*

Im honestly thinking of doing this tomorrow as i have finally rounded up the necessary tools etc. (I also have a loooong drive coming up in a few weeks and extra mpgs and power woould be nice as well as a good data logging opportunity)

EDIT - also my clothes have always been out of style HAHAHA

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  3. Jul 17, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    fatfurious2

fatfurious2 IG: great_white_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access Cab
    Got them today. Thanks for the fast shipping @mightytacoman .

now to start accumulating the other parts

mightytacoman[OP] and montijo505 like this.
  4. Jul 17, 2020 at 3:18 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    just double checking. The cam bolts themselves are a standard (not reverse) thread correct?

And when rotating the motor, if i was standing at the front of the truck looking at the grill, i would rotate the motor in a clockwise fashion? (I guess i could check when the motor is running, but im lazy and currently tied to my computer for work from home purposes)

5. Jul 17, 2020 at 3:46 PM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman [OP] Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    You are correct in all of those statements

nd4spdbh[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jul 17, 2020 at 4:36 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    That's a possibility. I did buy the 17mm torque adapter.

I own jeans and Slayer concert t shirts. Not sure where I land on the style scale.

Chris(NJ)[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 18, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    Good luck today sir. I'm around if questions or concerns come up

8. Jul 18, 2020 at 8:04 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Thanks man. Just making sure i have all my ducks in a row so things go smooth. Going to take the opportunity to check valve clearances while im in there and likely clean the throttle body and the plenum if its needed.

9. Jul 18, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Whelp they are in. It took a GOOD chunk of time (~5.5hrs), but I also work slow n methodical when it comes to stuff like this on my truck, as its my only 4 wheel vehicle and daily driver (i gotta few motos but still). I also had to deal with the 2012+ SAIS valve assembly, replaced all the gaskets, clean the throttle body, do a valve clearance check (all was spot on), as well as line up the intake manifold spacer when going back together. Also triple checked things cus paranoia, and a few beers with the GF while the process was taking place. Could I of done it quicker sure, but I wouldnt of been as at ease when I went to start it up.

Things of note: All the driver side injector plugs need to come off. Only the front one on the passenger side does. For the SAIS valves, there are 2 nuts up top and one bolt on bottom that hold the assembly to the motor, the bolt on the bottom is rather hidden and can be accessed easily through the wheel well.

Like others have stated undoing the cam bolts initially... GOOD EFFING LORD they were on there. A LONG handle 24mm paired with a doubled up 17mm and 21mm wrench was needed to pop it loose.

The Mercedes benz engine mount 17mm with a 1/2in to 3/8 adapter was perfect for torquing things down. With my 1/2in HF torque wrench (calibrated with a digital torque adapter) which is right around 15in from center of handle to pivot, and the ~ 3.5in long benz engine mount thing, it calcs out to be 60ft lbs set on the torque wrench for the 74ftlbs at the end of the adapter.

Got it all back together, n the truck started right up. Just drove it around the block as dinner was ready so no idea on performance differences, but the exhaust note has changed a smidge as well as she idles a bit smoother now! FYI i prepped yesterday and pulled the engine cover and fogged down the engine bay with the hose to knock any dust / mud / debris off things to have less of a chance of shit getting in the motor when opened up.

Tomorrow some logging will take place to see the numbers differences!

Edit - also clean as a whistle in the engine with 107k miles on it! was happy to see that.

IMG_20200718_130020629_HDR.jpg

10. Jul 18, 2020 at 10:04 PM
    Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    Whats under the truck? OME 886’s Nitro Chargers 1/4” top plate spacers 1.5” Icon add-a-leaf for a total of 3” front and rear. 275/80/17 MTR’s SCS Ray10’ URD Stage 2 clutch Heavy Flywheel Clutch Masters Hydro Bering What’s on the front? Cbi bumper steel. Smittybilt X20 10k Under the hood? Ultimate headlight and fog light harnesses 100w/90w H4Headlights 9011 60wHir Fogs Anytime fog mod Northstar Group 34 14.7 Voltage booster Red Line hood struts K&N replacement filter on secondary air pump K&N air cleaner Donbison Snorkle In the cab? Wet Okie seat covers Petal Comander Meso Maps and Dome Molle panels on the consol Flyeyze Under the climate controls,glove box and center consol TRD Logo plates over door latches Weather Tech Floor mats with Custom TRD stickers Weather Tech Rain guards Weather Tech bug shield Full Head liner of patches On the bed? Snug-top Rebel Yakima racks Chinese knock off bat wing awning with walls Water Port Quick Fists Mount Bed Mat Anti theft tail gate bracket Trailer plug relocate Coms? Buofeng Navigation Garmin Alpha 100 ( Hound hunting GPS System) ECGS Bushing Cobra Rx75 Cb Home made sleeping platform with drawers. On the bench waiting to go in? 3* Cam Gears. Powder Coated Valve Covers Custom 3/4” intake spacer
    Welcome to the dark side!

11. Jul 19, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    montijo505

montijo505 Moon soon?

Member:
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4Runner SR5/ AKA The Great White Pig
    How do I figure this out? Pretty much same setup to torque, except I haven't measured the length of my torque wrench.

12. Jul 19, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    If you put it at a 90* angle you don’t have to correct anything.

parel likes this.
  13. Jul 19, 2020 at 3:57 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Quick measuring tape and you will be good to go

https://belknaptools.com/extensions-calculator/

Technically no but for our purposes it doesnt make a difference. 3.5in extension at a 90* turns your (assuming HF 1/2in drive torque wrench) from a lever arm at 15in to ~ a 15.5 in lever arm, which if set to 74 ftlbs would yeild ~76.5 ftlbs at the nut. :D

Also much easier to go straight up and out the motor than a 90 kink in a torque wrench.

14. Jul 20, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Some data!

Orange line = after install of 3* cam gears
    Blue line = stock cam gears
    Bottom axis = engine rpms
    Left axis = MAF reading in lbs/hr

Stock cam gear pull and 3* retard pulls were done at the same air intake temps, same exact engine and maf tune, same trans tune, pull started rolling in 1st and the auto shifted to 2nd on its own (left truck in D), data below is from the bottom to the top of 2nd gear just before it shifted to 3rd.

Your looking around 5% increase in MAF numbers!

Truck feels happier for sure, and very curious as to mpg numbers over time.

EDIT - Keep in mind, this is on a bone stock truck, stock exhaust, stock intake, stock throttle body with the ONLY addition of an XTP 1/2in intake manifold spacer between the lower intake manifold and the upper (surge tank).

upload_2020-7-20_7-59-44.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  15. Jul 20, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    ebuyaer2002

ebuyaer2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Salem, OR
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB 6 Speed
    RC 6" lift, icon coilovers, DK uppers, URD intake, DT Longtube Headers, Cam gears, 70mm throttle body, Custom Tuned with HPTuners
    @nd4spdbh I love how detailed you are in your work. I remember seeing a post on the hptuners thread about a correlation between the maf numbers and horsepower. Do you recall this?

Awesome to see this in a graph! Were you happy with the improved performance?

16. Jul 20, 2020 at 8:23 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Maf in g/s x 1.18 is generally accepted as the wheel hp for our trucks from multiple people performing dynos

17. Jul 20, 2020 at 8:23 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

Butt dyno is hard to calibrate, and given so many variables as far as ambient temps / elevation around here its hard to get consistent logs, BUT it does seem happier thats for sure!

TodayWasTHeDaY likes this.
  18. Jul 20, 2020 at 8:24 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Thanks for sharing! Great data

19. Jul 20, 2020 at 8:25 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    EDIT - Keep in mind the numbers above, this is on a bone stock truck, stock exhaust, stock intake, stock throttle body with the ONLY addition of an XTP 1/2in intake manifold spacer between the lower intake manifold and the upper (surge tank).

20. Jul 20, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    ARoman83

ARoman83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Wisco
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD OR DCSB PreRunner
    Only legal stuff
    How much help do you think the surge tank spacer helped with this outcome?

To Top