1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Group buy: Pop N Lock Tailgate Lock (Ends April 08, 2009)

Discussion in 'Closed Group Buys' started by DanGer, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
  2. Feb 17, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    hmmm... but i want power lock D:

hmm... maybe ill just do manual..hmm iono.[​IMG]

3. Feb 17, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    and all i need is other people opinions and advice before i go and purchase something stupid/pointless... come to think of it, i dont need to drop the gate much... thanks
    [​IMG]

4. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD PreRunner Sport
    OEM Truck Bed Extender, Window Tint, Tailgate Security Mod, OEM Spare Tire Lock, Cam Locks (storage compartments), OEM Bed Mat, OEM Skid Plate, Stant 11504 Locking Gas Cap, TW Edrin55 OEM Running Boards, Pop & Lock w/Back-Up Cam, Black WeatherTechs, Red Line Quick Lift Plus Hood Struts, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers-black/charcoal with red & white TRD graphic & back seat pockets, DIY Satoshi Grillcraft & Old School Toyota Badge, TW ZonKs Black UWS Low Pro Truck Box, Rear Suspension TSB, 3M Scotch Guard Paint & Headlight Protection Film 8mm Urethane, Flyzeye V2 Wired Amber/White/Amber Interior LED Lights w/Silver Case, Sleek Looking Black LED Tail Lights from K2 Motors (Identical to OEM, but black).
    Pop & Lock from truckalterations.com. Lightning speed shipping & official TW vendor. No need for power lock. Works great & piece of mind.

5. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    sweet! i gotta save some $$ before i can purchase.

6. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG] what you mean it slips and that you have to unlock it every time u open the tailgate?? i guess a better question would be, "how does it work (mechanically)?" i put key in and turn, it unlocks and stay unlocked.. if i want to lock it, i need to turn the key to lock it.. or is it, turn the key to unlock and as soon as u close the tailgate, it automatically locks

7. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    cool, thanks for the clarification [​IMG]

8. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM
    pmosin

pmosin Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab 4x4 TRD 6spd
    ARE Camper shell
    Took a chance and ordered one from truckalterations.com, hope the vendor is legit, some forum posts on TW seem to suggest they are so I bit the bullet.

Free shipping, and the price was right, $47.99. Looking forward to it! :)

9. Mar 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    pmosin

pmosin Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab 4x4 TRD 6spd
    ARE Camper shell
    Got mine today from truckalterations.com. Fast shipping. One of the threaded posts is bent though, can't tell if that's from shipping or manufacturers defect. Hopefully it'll be OK.

10. Mar 29, 2011 at 4:42 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    I would call truckalterations and talk to them about it. If you try to bend it back and something breaks you are probably screwed.

11. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Just an update...

I ordered my P&L in this original group buy - April 2009. I also experienced the self-locking when I would release the handle. I contacted the company and they sent me heavier springs to install. I did and have not had a problem.

The biggest downside is the roughness of the lock and handle. The stock unit opened soooo smoothly. This one is very rough and difficult. Even turning the lock is difficult and I worry every time I open or lock it that I will break the crappy key off in the lock.

Now, after 2 winters of the salt and crud we get here in Western Pennsylvania, the lock is gumming up inside. Its not rust but this white crap that seems to be forming inside.

I'm not overall displeased with the lock. I paid a small price for a unit that does it's job. I also imagine it is difficult to engineer something that fits into a stock housing but operates differently - and still make it work smoothly and last a long time.

I'd give the lock a 6 out of 10.

If I could go back in time...I'd still buy it again (mostly due to a lack of other options on the market).

12. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i just installed mine and thought it was alot harder to open than stock.i was going to sell my stock camera handle for the 05-08 guys but decided not to.not sure how long this handle will last

13. Apr 4, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    I was in the same buy and mine has worked smoothly and flawlessly since first installed. I can't tell any diff between it and the OEM handle. Maybe call P&L and see if they have made any improvements and see if they might give you a free or cheap upgrade?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top