1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GT-R or 370Z Nismo?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by mjohn617, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jun 23, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    the gt-r is obviously the sexier of the two. but DAMN that 370 is nice! i agree with your reasoning for buying the 370 over the gt-r. i think you made the right decision. car looks great man! gotta give us a review of how it drives

2. Jun 27, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    I have pretty much finished with the break in period, I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Stillen Super Charger with headers and exhaust, the power gain is unbelievable...and only 8 psi. The car has a very purpose built feel, suspension is very stiff. Reviews of the Nismo actually noted that the suspension was almost too hard, but I like it. Also the road noise can be pretty noisy at times, just depends on the type of road you are on. A new paved, black road is almost silent though. I had some problems with the gears at the start, I am used to feathering the clutch with a high horsepower car, this is fly by wire (like most cars today) not cable and has some different programming than a typical car. With this car you can get to a pretty high RPM in first, let off the gas and it won't jerk straight into decel, kind of just feathers in to a neutral load, it's kind of cool but took a while to figure it out. The response time is very very quick, the car doesn't hesitate when it comes to full throttle, with that said, I have gotten it sideways a couple times in corners with the VDC off, not expecting, kind of crapped my pants the first time but it is a very controlled drift when it does let loose. And the rev match! I love the rev match, with it on, any downshift, upshift, whatever, matches engine RPM with transmission for a seamless shift EVERYTIME! Just don't go from 6th to 2nd...ooops! this option is freakin great if you don't want to think, just drive to the store and pick up some groceries and go home.

Overall I love the car, it is freakin fast, but after driving it for almost a month, it's not fast enough, I'm getting used to it's power. I do miss driving pure sports cars with no electronics, it's a great ride with all the electronics, but it's just....different. I AM SO GLAD I DID NOT BUY THE GT-R! Yes it is a bad ass car but just like bianca said you can pretty much get the same thing for 43k less...and you can drive it like it is suppose to be driven, none of that AWD paddle shifter bullshit.

:DI STILL ENJOY DRIVING MY TACO MORE! :D

I drove up Hwy 1 this weekend from San Francisco to Anchor bay, did some 4 wheeling, camping, drove on the beach all day, and went diving for abalone (got 5 total, one 10"), the truck is handles like a beast on the curves, and Hwy 1 has got some curves! I LOVE MY TACO!:cool:

3. Jun 27, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    meantaco

meantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner. Gone,but not forgotten.
    Retrofit,bull bar,hellas and color matched grill.
    nice looking 370z great choice to id prefer the Lotus Evora (camry engine ) over a gtr and i really love the gtr

4. Jun 27, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    meantaco

meantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner. Gone,but not forgotten.
    Retrofit,bull bar,hellas and color matched grill.
    and by the way didnt you both think of getting a new mustang 5.0 ?

5. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    mjohn617

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    OH shit! I'm sorry man, hahaha! I didn't even realize, I try and proof read every time I post, guess I need to get names straight too! :eek: Isn't that a character from Street Fighter?!

Wow, thats what I have been reading. I am looking at around 9k if I do the work myself, the videos I have been watching are insane. So whats up you going Z or ISF? I saw you on 370Z.com...

6. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    How can I afford one of these cars....:(

What do people do that they can afford these kinda cars? What ever it is, Im ganna do it! :)

And Congrats man!

7. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    GTR, that's going to be taking out vettes and new mustangs left and right. GTR would be my choice. Do you wanna be different? Then get the GTR, even if your wife doesn't, you can and will take that GTR out to its full potential. :D

I hate you:p

8. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    mjohn617

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver

Sorry, but no...I had a 92 drop top. It was fun, but I had way too many problems. I am a die hard Japanese fan, no offense to Ford or the United States but our shit stinks when it comes to precision!

9. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    mjohn617

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver

We did want to be different, and I think we have maybe the only pearl white Nismo in the San Francisco bay area. Maybe, maybe not but we do have a unique car...and with the super charger we get to walk all over the crowd. The GT-R is a very nice car, I still would not hesitate to buy if I could afford both.

10. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Ok well when you say supercharger, It makes me feel better.:D

11. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    Nice choice. I've wanted a 370 since they came out. Sexy car. :thumbsup:

12. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    David S

David S Well-Known Member

Member:
    sunny Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ 6MT
    If I had all the money in the world, and I had to pick between the 370Z and the GT-R, I would pick the 370Z without hesitation. For one reason, and one reason only: The 370Z HAS A ***CLUCH PETAL***. If you're going to get a sports car, why would you have an automatic transmission? That just isn't any fun, and the point of the car is to have fun. So screw the flappy-paddle automatic horse !@#$, get the one with a MANUAL transmission!!!!! And don't make up some stupid excuse about having to drive in traffic every day. I drove a manual in heavy traffic for years, and NEVER had a problem with it. Not only that, but look at Europe - MOST vehicles over there are manual. I don't see them complaining about it.

Looks like you got the one with the clutch petal....good choice!

Enjoy!

13. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    mjohn617

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver

Word...

14. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    As everyone's pretty much already mentioned...GT-R! Personally I wouldn't buy a GT-R for its comforts or luxuries (if it even has any of those), I would buy it because of its serious power as well as good looks and prestigious history behind its name. Naturally you pay a high premium for owning one of these cars. If you know you won't be appreciating it for what it's worth then why not save yourself a few bucks and go with the 370Z. If money's not a big deal then definitely wait for the GT-R...I wish I had your dilemma. Good luck with your choice.

Edit: nevermind...just saw pix of your new 370Z. Looks good, congrats dude!

15. Jun 28, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    The paddle shifters just don't seem right to me. I hate drivin with 2 hands on the wheel anyway. I'm sure it's somethin I could get used to, but I hate doin it right now. There's just somethin about that feelin of pushin in the clutch and grabbin another gear...

16. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    David S

David S Well-Known Member

Member:
    sunny Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ 6MT
    I have no doubt that the 'auto' transmissions in the GT-R and other high end sports cars are FASTER than a traditional manual transmission. Many of them have a manual gearbox with auto-engaging clutches and all sorts of fancy electronics. To the driver, it is an auto, but you gain a tiny bit of performance on the track with it. They can shift into another gear 20x faster than the fastest human. But that isn't my point - I'm not arguing that the manual transmission with a clutch for the driver is faster, because it isn't. I'm arguing that the manual transmission is better because it provides a more enjoyable driving experience. You are more engaged with the car with a manual - you feel like you're actually driving something.

If I were looking at high end sports cars, I would not buy the GT-R because I can't get it with a manual transmission. Instead, I'd look for a Ferarri or Lambo or Aston that has a manual transmission.

Given the choice between the GT-R and the 370Z though, I'd get the 370Z for the manual transmission.

17. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    rockstartacoma

rockstartacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dimitrios
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma double cab
    double din,XD rockstar rims,fabtech 6in lift,catback exhaust,toyo tires,leds
  18. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    If your wife drives a GTR... You eventually have to say...

"Nope that's the wife's car, I drive a truck"

Get the 370Z Nizmo.

Products Discussed in

To Top