1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Guage cluster plasic has scratches

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by ProtoJ, Jul 8, 2009.

1. ProtoJ

ProtoJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Double Cab, Superwhite
    Removed 2nd air fliter, AFE Pro Dry filter, Scangauge II, shorty antenna, ARE CX Topper, URD Short Throw w/ TRD Shift Knob, Toyota Chrome Exhaust tip, FJ TRD Center Caps, Westin Prerunner bar w/ Hella 500 Lights, Hardwired Garmin
    Both my Toyotas have very scratched plastic over the guages. I've always used a microfiber cloth to clean, but it seems like dust even scratches it. In bright sun, you can barely read the guages. I've tried Mother plastic polish, but that didn't work. Is there any product that will fill in these scratches and is anyone elses guages scratched to hell?

2. fghtngsquirrel

fghtngsquirrel Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x2 Rad Red *SOLD*
    Mine have scratched bad on both of my Toyota's, my Matrix and Tacoma, so it might just be the plastic they use. Either way, it's very annoying. :confused:

3. Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    The first time I cleaned mine they looked foggy and I thought WTF is with this cheap ass plastic they are using.

Now I try to look on the bright side and figuring when I trade my truck next year they will be so scratched that I can paint on Really low odometer miles and they won't be the wiser :laugh:

4. Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    My plastic thingy is scratched to hell as well. I would like to fix it, so I'm gonna check back.

5. gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    yeah ive had the same problem. noticed it after i cleaned em the first time.

6. luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k HID heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    Me too, same scratched lens. But I learned after my first gen, now I use the air in a can, same stuff used for computer key boards and such.

7. fghtngsquirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x2 Rad Red *SOLD*
    I'll have to try this... I feel dumb for not thinking about this before!

8. FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Mine are scratched too :(, I saw some plastic scratch remover at the store, wonder if it would work? Kind of like the stuff to refinish headlights?

9. e-rok

e-rok Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gunnison, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 Timberland Mica Double Cab Tacoma 4x4
    I have used Brasso to polish my scratched up Ipod, It worked great for that. I wonder if this would work on the plastic on the guages as it seems much softer then the plastic on my Ipod.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

10. Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    Mine has scratches also.....and in places I would've never touched (I also use microfibres & I don't 'rub' either).

Cheap quality stuff....they're just not made like they used to.

11. da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    call me crazy but i bought a turtle wax headlight restoration kit a few weeks back to clear up my headlights, anyway my gauge cluster plastic was in terrible shape and i have tried many different things to clean it without much avail. so i tried the clarifying coumpound that came with the kit and the results were impressive, it is now crystal clear. i have to apoligize since i have no pics. to back it up, but at the time I wasn't thinking that anybody else would be having this problem. but it definitely made a huge difference in my case. hope this helps

12. FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins

I was wondering about using that stuff. Thanks for the input :D.

13. ProtoJ

ProtoJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Double Cab, Superwhite
    Removed 2nd air fliter, AFE Pro Dry filter, Scangauge II, shorty antenna, ARE CX Topper, URD Short Throw w/ TRD Shift Knob, Toyota Chrome Exhaust tip, FJ TRD Center Caps, Westin Prerunner bar w/ Hella 500 Lights, Hardwired Garmin
    I bought this stuff called Quixx at Autozone today. I used it on the gauge plastic, stereo display, and time display. Basically you polish the plastic with a cloth and polish that the kit comes with and then wipe down the plastic with a damp micro fiber. It looks crystal clear now. About 95% of the scratches are completely gone! There was even a deep scratch on the stereo display that it removed completely.

http://www.quixx-usa.com/

14. ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    I have those annoying scratches too! I tried the Mequiars Plastix stuff and it did not work. Thanks for the 2 products mentioned, I am going to try it out too.

15. fghtngsquirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x2 Rad Red *SOLD*
    I'll have to try this stuff.

16. Danzer

Danzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad 4x4 AT
    K&N 77 Series High-Flow Performance Kit.Rear Seat Covers.Rear TSB with 1.5" AAL and OME N182's. Front 5100's and OME 884's.Cobra CB.Painted mirrors, grill and powder coated rear bumper. Trail Gear sliders.
    I'll have to try one of those. I hate those scratches.

17. militaco

militaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab, '99 Regular Cab
    I went down to Checkers in Hawaii and picked up a bottle of the Quixx and yes indeed alomst 95% of the scratches were removed......in the process however i was charged $15 for the bottle which also comes with a cloth and two sand papers.....i feel like i was raped!!!!!!!! Since i spent $15, i decided what the hell and see if it could also work on my tacoma '99 standard cab headlights......in the past i tried meguiar's platix and nothing, but with this Quixx, in a couple of minutes the oxidation came right off......for me, definitely worth the $15. Here are some pics of the headlights, its kinda dark right now for the gauges.

1. the first pic is both headlights with only the passenger side cleaned
    2. the second pic is a close up of the cleaned head light
    3. the third pic is a close up of the uncleaned head light
    4. the last pic is the packaging for Quixx.

BIg props to ProtoJ:)

Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg

18. Danzer

Danzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad 4x4 AT
    K&N 77 Series High-Flow Performance Kit.Rear Seat Covers.Rear TSB with 1.5" AAL and OME N182's. Front 5100's and OME 884's.Cobra CB.Painted mirrors, grill and powder coated rear bumper. Trail Gear sliders.
    ^^^^ That made a big difference. I guess I'll get the Quixx brand. Thanks for the pics.

To Top