1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gulping noise at start-up?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Dudley, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Jul 22, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    Dudley

Dudley [OP] Cranky Old Bastard

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Access Cab
    I have a 2010 2.7L Access. In the mornings when it is a little cool out I crank the engine and it goes into fast idle. After a few seconds I hear this weird gulping noise (kinda like a big shutter closing) and the engine idles down some. What the heck is that?:goingcrazy: This is the first vehicle that I have ever owned that made that noise.

2. Jul 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 2.7L SR5 5spd, 4x4
    5100 set to .85 w/ rear TSB, 2012 Rear-view Mirror, Grillecraft, Team Trails FJ Wheels, TPMS canister, Rear headrest delete, Rear console delete, Valley Hitch, Frame undercoat, $2.99 Tailgate hose clamp lock, Avid light bar, 4x4 lighted switch ala Biceman.
    Mine does it too and it seems to be something with emissions. Most responses to this are in the form of(another vehicle forum):

"Yes, part of the noise is the air pump (which replaced the pre-cat in the uppipe in MY06 and up), and also the ECU is programmed to run the engine extra hot at start-up to minimize the time it takes to reach operating temps in cats, thereby reducing emissions."

As always if concerned go to the dealer! I say save your time and just ignore it. Welcome to the world of "everything on my car is electronic."

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    Dudley

Dudley [OP] Cranky Old Bastard

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Access Cab
    Thanks. Guess the days of tinkering with these things is completely over. You have a problem, call a computer programmer. Figures it has something to do with emissions. Can't wait for the new E15 gasoline they are trying to cram down our throats. I understand that could cause serious problems. :mad:

To Top