1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gun Cleaning Thread - What do you use?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Janster, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Apr 7, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Hoppes and CLP I have used it on everything from 9mm, .22's, Browning .50 cal M2, M240, M4, M16's just to name a few. No problems as of yet.

2. Apr 7, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    For a gun that's new to me: Hoppes to clean, alcohol to clean off all residue, lightly apply militec and hit all parts with a hair dryer/or shoot till gun is hot. It takes three heat cycles for the militec to completely work it's magic, after that, all it takes is a brush and cloth to remove the dust and stray powder residue. Reapply militec.

For my Militec treated gun: Shoot, brush/wipe off, reapply Militec. Usually I bronze brush the barrel to make sure there is no copper fouling.

Militec is the shit! After treatment(3 heat cycles) you can shoot with the gun dry, since the metal is impregnated with militec.

Find me at the Uwharrie meet on the 23rd, I'll show you.

3. Apr 7, 2011 at 6:07 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    X2

4. Apr 7, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    shotguns- Barrel just gets brushed Action cleaned with CLP
    rifles- boresnake, action cleaned with clp
    glocks- thrown in dishwasher, then rinsed off with garden hose
    AR- gets it's ass wiped. boresnake through barrel, BCG get cleaned with Q-tips and red scotch-brite.

All lubed thoroughly after

5. Apr 7, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    I have heard about throwing a glock in the dishwasher, just a little scared to do it. I would worry the entire time it was in washing. I know its a tough material but a dishwasher..........?

6. Apr 7, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    10PreRunner

10PreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 4x4 Double Cab
    Does anybody else use an Otis kit? I use it on all my guns, rifles, and pistols. Any thoughts on it?

7. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Big fan of the boresnakes also. Have them in .22, .38/357/9mm .45 and 12 gauge.

8. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    x3 on boresnakes+Hoppes or Rem Oil+ Rem Oil Wipes

9. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    I use Sweets 7.62 on all my rifles, and Hoppes on the pistols unless fouled. You cannot beat Sweets on copper fouling, it removes it like no other.

10. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    tacosallday

tacosallday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    hawthorne-socal
    Vehicle:
    06 Lifted PreRunner DcSb
    xd addict 18x9, nitto trial grapplers 285/65/18, 3 inch lift, upgraded sound system,
    hoppes and clp. never a problem.

11. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    I never really liked CLP as a cleaner; it's more of a lubricant. For all of my guns, including my issued M16A4, I use Hoppes #9 for the inside and bore snake. I use CLP exclusively for lubrication purposes and external cleaner (gotta make the M16A4 all nice and pretty on the outside before it gets turned into the armory).

12. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Me too! Only thing is I feel sometimes it's not giving that great of a cleaning. Maybe I'm not doing something right lol.

13. Apr 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    :laugh:
    Just a joke...

14. Apr 8, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Interesting.... soaking overnight (or atleast soak for hours). I'll have to try that and see how that all works. Hell, I could try doing that with every cleaner we have on the shelf!

We have bore snakes too.... and I've run the boresnake thru probably 20 times inbetween Hoppes#9.

Might have to investigate the copper/plating left behind.

And if you guys think Hoppes#9 stinks...you should smell the SemiAuto version. Its HORRIBLE!

15. Apr 8, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I just use CLP and hoppes #9 on everything from my 80 year old .270 to my competiton AR-15 to my concealed carry pistol. You shouldnt be having too many issues getting out the powder dust if you are only putting 50 shots through it. are you using a brush or just patches soaked in stuff? I have found that the nylon brushes are the best . also, you need to be pushing stuff out the barrel the same direction that the bullet goes. not reverse. It shouldnt take but maybe 15 minutes to completely clean the gun once you know how to take it apart quickly.

you might try running a bore snake through with clp on it. then use a nylon brush and run it through dry 4-5 times. then add a few dots of clp to the brush and push it through 2-3 times. then run a dry brush through it twice more. then just run a few dry patches through. That should get everything out and make your barrel all shiny again.

I run a copper solvent through there about once every 6 months because that stuff is evil and will do awful things to rifling on a barrel if you dont get it all out.

The good news is that most gunpowder today is not very corrosive and if there is a little bit left in there it will not cause pitting like black powder will so if there is just a tiny bit I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. The main thing with semi-autos is to make sure the action and all the springs are well oiled and free of debris.

Be careful about what solvents you soak it in because some stuff is much more potent than others and can actually do more damage than good if left for an extended period of time. The only time I have ever soaked anything in solvent is when i bought a used shotgun that had never been cleaned i took it apart and soaked everything in clp for about 20 minutes then used a metal bristled tooth brush thing and a normal tooth brush to get the gunk off

16. Apr 8, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I don't have any problems cleaning the mini (BG380) with only 50 rounds thru it.

It's the M&P that sees 100-200 rounds through it. The powder dust is easy, it's the carbon or some other buildup that I haven't been able to get out of the barrell completely. I've soaked (for a few minutes) and ran the bore snake thru tons of times with various products. I've never used a nylon brush....(and yes, already knew about the directional cleaning').

It's black and comes off black - so I'm not sure if there's copper or nickel from the plated reloads ??

Sometime like this?
    [​IMG]

I know we have copper bore brushes, but I'd be reluctant to run that thru it.
    Thoughts?

17. Apr 8, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    Gun cleaning in progress:

DSCN2557Small_42de95874231f3002e74d4ad280a251b92f88413.jpg

18. Apr 8, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I dont think the black stuff is from the copper bullets. But if you want to find out put some of the copper solvent in there for about 5 minutes and it will come out blue if it is copper. I have never used nickle bullets before so no input on that.
    Those are the same bore brushes I use. The copper bore brushes will be just fine though. they clean a little better than a bore snake will. The copper is softer than the steel in the barrel so they will not scratch it

19. Apr 8, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    I use boiling water and CLP, and maybe some hoppes. This is on my AK I only shoot corrosive ammo through it.

20. Apr 8, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    hardground

hardground Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR DC V6 Manual
    OME Lift, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, BlendMount & Mirror Tap ,TRD Quickshifter, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, Red Line Hood Struts, Bak Roll-X
    Xtreme Clean works really well but the smell is AWFUL. Ballistol is what I will be purchasing next, hear it is great.
    Weapons Shield lube and grease. This stuff just smells awesome. Every time I pick up one of my guns all I can say is how great it smells.

Products Discussed in

To Top