1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gun control (Admins please read before locking)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 04LTtacoma, May 29, 2012.

1. May 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    May I make a suggestion?

Go interview a few local cops. Some are against citizens owning guns, some are for it.
    A few local gun shop owners/gun range owners.
    Call up a local VFA, see if you can interview some older veterans.
    Find a local democratic and republican party office, call up a local representative. If your area has an elected sheriff or law agency, check with them.
    Find a local (or state) "liberal arts" college, see if you can find a professor that can help.

(dont assume all "liberals" want strict gun control. Some really like their guns)

In other words, get a sampling of people in a real world situation. The internet (especially forums) are generally not a good source of research material. It tends to bring out the boisterousness of people, rather than honesty and discretion.

EDIT to add: I like guns, own some. I believe there needs to be certain rules in place for gun ownership. I believe some laws are infringing on our rights, while some loopholes should be closed. Its not a cut and dry topic, like most thing political, religious, taxes, or guns (or women...).

Good luck with the paper.

2. May 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    this is a good idea. if some of these say they don't have time, ask if you can do an email interview (you send them ?s to ask, they respond, you ask more if need clarification).

3. May 29, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    Natetroknot

Natetroknot Experiencing TW at several WTFs per thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Dubuque, IA
    Vehicle:
    19 Sport AC-6MT
    I don't have a problem with guns, regardless of the kind or what they're used for, but people have gone a bit overboard with carrying them all the time it seems. It wasn't so long ago that you could get into a bar fight every now and again without worrying about some pussy drawing down on you for fear of taking an ass kicking.

I think that's too bad, really. The days of getting into a scuffle with a guy, nobody getting hurt enough to even hit the doc's office, and going home that night to fight another day are frickin' gone.

If I thought gun control would bring 'em back I'd be all for it.

4. May 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Define Assault Rifle ? OZ that is not a shot or a challenge to defend your statement, it's a question that most gun owners will answer with what their personal definition of an assault rifle is. Personally anything fully automatic is an assault "type" rifle. With that said to own a full auto you have to have a federal license / collectors license and state license etc etc so it is already regulated by the feds and state law enforcement agencies.

My personal opinion is as long as your of "sound mind" and pass a "FULL BACKGROUND CHECK" IE Local, State, Federal and international data bases and have attended a gun safety course ( Should Be Mandatory Every Where )there should be no reason your denied purchasing a pistol or rifle as long as it's legal for a civillian to own ( No a 30mm cannon should not be legal LOL ) . If I happen to like for a hobby to shoot and AK47 or even a Barrett M107.50 cal rifle as long as I do it on a range or my own property safely and in accordance with the laws of the state. What does it matter to anyone same goes for pistols. However, your local state laws may prevent it which I think is wrong unless you can't pass the aforementioned checks but that leads to a whole other geopolitical / socioeconomic discussion:}

There are enough gun laws on the books they just need to be enforced however enforced within REASON!!! See http://www.conservativedailynews.co...anistan-vet-arrested-in-d-c-guns-confiscated/

Cypher

5. May 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon

It's kind of difficult for me to interview a variety of people when my teacher wants a annotated bibliography by the 5th of June. I guess I could interview people, but that takes a long time.

I am not very familiar with the "gun control" matter because I have not read up on it much. I know of course all "liberal" are not against gun control. I imagine their a plenty of republicans who are for "gun control."

EDIT: I don't know yet if my teacher will approve of my topic... We had three options for our final paper.

Option 1: Choose a work of literature that has been made into a film. In your paper, compare the book version to the film version. What themes does each explore? How does the film differ from the book? Which is the "better" version, and why?

Option 2: Choose a video game that has been made into a film. In your paper, compare the game version to the film version. What themes does each explore? How does the film differ from the game? Which is the "better" version, and why?

Option 3: I imagine that some among us are dead tired of film and literature by now. If that's you, here's your escape plan. You can choose to do a researched argument on a controversial issue. Here, I'm thinking of things like "should congress approve the Paul Ryan budget plan?" or "should Oregon raise the speed limit on rural highways?" If you want to use this option, YOU MUST GET MY APPROVAL FOR YOUR TOPIC FIRST. We can work together to set a plan for your exact essay. (Note: if you're thinking about something like "abortion" or "smokin' the weed," I'll warn you right away: I'm not likely to aprove the "usual suspects.")

6. May 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I just wrote a paper on gun control about three weeks ago.

7. May 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon
    Nice, I am hoping my teacher will "approve" my topic I chose. lol

8. May 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.

I would do a movie/book comparison, but I read a ton. Something like a Tom Clancy would work (Hunt for Red October), or The Lincoln Lawyer (Michael Connelly), Shooter/Point of Impact (Stephen Hunter). But then, I have seen all the movies, and read all the books at least twice...

Seems that would be much easier than a controversial topic paper with limited time, on a subject you are not already familiar with.

9. May 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon
    I don't read a whole lot so it's difficult to find a movie/book comparison.

The paper is due June 15th so I have plenty of time to get the paper done. I just need to hear from my teachers so I can start researching for my paper on gun control. The 5th of June is when my cited work is due. lol

10. May 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon
    Thanks, may use the link you posted.

11. May 29, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    X2

Had a handgun pulled on me at a party and a barrel never looked so damn big before haha.

Anyhow the thing that gets me about control is that it's supposed to stop incidents like the one I described and so called massacres and what not but as you have probably heard it before, they are only hurting the law abiding people. No matter how much "gun control" there is a gun crime will always happen. Even if they were BANNED there would still be guns in the hands of criminals because they go the way of the Honey Badger, they just don't give a fuck. With all the prison cuts and whatnot it's like releasing wolves onto unarmed prey....kinda. I think you get what I'm saying.

Other opinions will come but that is mine.

12. May 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon

I agree with you. I don't think it's so much the gun control, it's the people. I have an uncle who went to prison for using a fire arm illegally it got him thrown into prison for a couple years and he doesn't have the right to bear arms any longer, but he keeps using the 2nd amendment as a source.

The second amendment states that people are allowed to keep and bear arms. The fight most people are trying to fight about is the fact that if you get gun control laws you are defeating the point of the second amendment.

13. May 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Gun control would be a "usual" suspect IMO

14. May 29, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon
    IMO?:confused:

15. May 29, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    in my opinion, just saying you will be lucky if that is not considered a "usual" topic

16. May 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    Executive

Executive Conservative

Member:
    Peabody, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    Guns kill people like pencils misspell words.

The key is "reasonable" regulation of firearm ownership. The problem with the key is defining "reasonable".

Chris

17. May 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Probably this.....^^^^

If not, ask the question: What is gun control?
    I think a lot of people start hollering and screaming when they hear the term "gun control". Gun control is not necessarily a bad thing. Gun control does not mean that you are not allowed to have a gun, as many people think. It means that owning the guns are done in a controlled manner.
    I was at a gun show recently and was amazed at how easy it was to buy a gun and walk out with it over your shoulder - no serious background checks or anything. Gun control for the law abiding citizens should not be a problem. I think everyone who wants to buy a gun should have to go through a background check, just like you have to go through if you want to volunteer at school; not a big deal. Once you pass the check, you get a gun license, and all you have to do is show that to law enforcement when asked. Nobody will come and take your gun away from you if it is registered in this way - I think the people who fear this are making too big an issue out of it. At least this will make it a little more difficult for criminals to get guns, although they will always steal guns (since they are already bad guys to begin with), but then if they get caught with a stolen gun they can be procecuted for that, where in an uncontrolled environment the bad guys are allowed to have guns and the law enforcement can't do anything about it because there is no way to track and check it.

My opinion in short - it is more complicated than that.

18. May 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    JCBigler

JCBigler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chouteau, OK
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 4WD, SR5, DC, TRD OR w/tow
    stock, Yaesu FT-8800R with a Maldol EX-107B, rear breather mod
    When the difference between life and death is a matter of seconds, the police are just minutes away.

19. May 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon
  20. May 29, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Agreed

To Top