1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gun Safety, what to purchase, how to get training?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by PROseur, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Sep 28, 2016 at 1:35 PM
    DRJ1014

DRJ1014 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    My knowledge on shotguns is very slim. So I will leave that to someone else who has good knowledge on brands and actions.

Since you dont have a budget, I would get both a 12g and a handgun. Nice to have both.

I got my G19 for $499 +tax.

PROseur[OP] likes this.
  2. Sep 28, 2016 at 1:36 PM
    PROseur

PROseur [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJC TTSE/ 2001 Taliban Poverty DCSB/ 2017 6MT PRO / 2018 2.7L SR Utility
    I did think about getting more than one. However, issue is, if I Have intruder, I don't want to pick out gun in the dark based on bear vs human.

3. Sep 28, 2016 at 1:37 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    Two peices of advice before you go into a store even if you don't know the first thing about guns. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger when handling a gun, until you're ready to shoot. And second, ALWAYS point the gun in a safe direction. That includes when handling guns at the sales counter. Don't point them at the sales guy.

I work at a range and can't tell you how many people do both of those on the daily. Following these will also help make you look like you know what you're doing.

There's more rules than just those obviously, like checking if the gun is clear, but if someone is new than they might know how to do that.

With that said, I highly recommend you go take a basic pistol course before you even consider purchasing a gun. They'll go over all the ins and outs and you'll be more educated on what you may decide to purchase. Plus if they're like our range, we include shooting in the class on the range and provide rental guns to try out.

I'm an instructor as well and teach women. Many women I find get overwhelmed with guns at first which is why having an instructor to help you get started is ideal.

DustStorm4x4, Jester243 and JimBeam like this.
  4. Sep 28, 2016 at 1:40 PM
    oni06

oni06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm at lunch but when I get back I'll post my views on shotguns. They have their place but they are not the point and shoot weapon they are portrayed to be.

PROseur[OP] and JimBeam like this.
  5. Sep 28, 2016 at 1:41 PM
    DRJ1014

Member:
    CA
    Honestly that is just where training comes in. People go hunting with 22 rifles all the time. A 9mm round will stop a bear but obviously the shotgun will be a better choice in that situation.

Having the handgun by your bed and the shotgun by the door. Getting out of bed its easier to grab the handgun in a quick motion while halfway asleep.

If your main concern is bears and maybe an intruder, a shotgun would probably be the best 1st purchase. I would still get a handgun to keep in the house though. With proper training, you should be able to clear your whole house with no issue with a shotgun, with that said though... Personally I would still go for the handgun lol

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. Sep 28, 2016 at 1:46 PM
    docbrown

docbrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Eclipse 6620 AVN GPS/DVD, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, Hose clamp mod, Redline Quick Lift Elites, Bilstein 5100's at .85, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Weather Techs front and back, Bug Guard, and Factory Bull Bar, Wet Okole's up front, Bed Mat, LED interior lights, Fumoto Oil Valve
    If you have small hands, and EAA witness in 9mm is a pretty decent choice. Get the PS model for the smaller grip size. It is a "full size" semi auto and will not break the bank. Only downside is that from the factory some of them shoot noticeably low. But it packs decent firepower into a manageable platform.

If you don't want to go semi-auto, a revolver is a decent choice. Depending on your tolerance for recoil, a 4" 357 would be a good choice - something along the lines of a GP-100 (weight helps with recoil) or an SP-101. Nice thing about the 357 is that you can shoot 38 special/38 special +P out of it if recoil is a problem for you. (They make 9mm revolvers as well - they are just not as common as other calibers)

These are just a couple of suggestions. Like several have said on here, try as many as you can and see what fits your particular situation best. I am not a fan of 380's, but they can be effective. I would say to shy away from 25 cal or 32 cal automatics. If you are going to go that small, I would suggest a 22 magnum (Keltec makes one) or even a 22lr like the Ruger SR-22. The best firearm is one you can handle confidently and shoot accurately. A 44 magnum does you no good if you can't shoot it well.

7. Sep 28, 2016 at 2:08 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Like eveyone has already mentioned - contact the local gun clubs and certainly take a 'beginners' course especially if you don't have someone to teach you. Make sure its an 'official' beginners course (can't remember the legalities) but.....here in PA, you usually can't take upper level gun courses unless you've taken (have certification) a beginners course.

In terms of self & home defense - I personally haven't had any classes yet. You can say...I'm a little gun shy to be in a class with 'the guys'. I haven't gotten off my butt to investigate any in my area. I really need to......

In terms of Home & Self Defense - there's one book I highly recommend for everyone to read. It's an old book but its extremely good - it gets into many aspects of self defense including the legalities that go along with it. It's called "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob. I've read it twice already and I should read it again as a refresher. I also have other books (for women) which are very informative. Books certainly aren't a replacement for a good quality gun class - but at least, you're exposing yourself to it when life is too busy.

If you can't Carry - I highly recommend taking a 'Self Defense' class (if you can find one at your local college or area). I took a class in college many many years ago and there are things I will never forget.

In terms of recoil - you can get used to it. It's much easier to handle with proper 'stance' (arms & legs), and grip. There are some powerful guns out there that you wouldn't want to shoot because the recoil and power is too much for our female arms/ muscles (no offense). But in terms of a 9mm...you'll do just fine. It might be shocking at first...but you can handle it!! Especially to start with!!
    We have a few big boys that are fun to shoot a couple rounds - but, If I shoot those too much....my arms/hands will feel it later. I'm old....LOL

PROseur[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Sep 28, 2016 at 2:18 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    BTW ladies, some places offer "women only" courses!

PROseur[OP], oni06 and Janster like this.
  9. Sep 28, 2016 at 2:24 PM
    DRJ1014

Member:
    CA
    While I fully support these courses, my GF said when we took the basic handgun course and we were split up men/women, she wished she was with the men because some of the women were... not very bright to put it nicely.

Also, its awesome to see when I was in my CCW course to have the big burly manly man being outshot by the 5' 8" 110lb female.

Janster likes this.
  10. Sep 28, 2016 at 2:34 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I don't know about anyone else, but you won't find me 'clearing corners' or rooms. If someone is in my house - I'm grabbing the gun and hiding somewhere with my cell phone. The less exposure to the intruder the better. I'm calling 911 and letting the police clear any rooms for me!!

Other arguments.... shotguns will make a mess of your house. LOL I don't know if a pump shotgun can hold 7 rounds? Pistols can hold 6+1 usually in a small 9mm (or more rounds).

Fatback17 and PROseur[OP] like this.
  11. Sep 28, 2016 at 2:37 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Now that's funny.... You know, and that's fine. Because...as far as I know, I could be *the dumb one*. LOL
    At least, I'll find out that way!!! LOL

12. Sep 28, 2016 at 2:43 PM
    IPNPULZ

IPNPULZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium 4R
    going to be fun!
    S&W 500 should take care of any Bears

PROseur[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Sep 28, 2016 at 2:44 PM
    oni06

oni06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This will all depend on your situation and layout of your residence.

If you have kids in the house and there is an intruder you probably want to get between them and the intruder. If your master bedroom is in the back of the house/condo and the kids rooms are closer to the entrance then you may need to "clear" hallways/rooms to get to the kids. As my wife and I look for houses its extremely frustrating that most houses have the master in the back and the "extra" bedrooms toward the front. Also places that were renovated to add a second story seem to only add a new master bedroom on the second floor which means the kids are downstairs and closer to the threat.

Again all depends on your situation.

Janster[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Sep 28, 2016 at 2:51 PM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
    A shotgun won't make that much of a mess. Just a bigger hole. Either way over penetration through interior walls can make for a bad outcome

oni06 and IPNPULZ like this.
  15. Sep 28, 2016 at 3:21 PM
    oni06

oni06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Back from lunch. Headache gone. Lets talk shotguns.

A great all around versatile platform with with lots of choices in ammunition from bird shot to solid slugs. With a shotgun you can engage targets from 0 to 150+ yards depending on ammo selection.
    However the platform has several drawbacks. These drawbacks can be overcome with the proper training and practice but in my opinion make the shotgun a bad choice for novice shooters in a home defense scenario.

First off is limited capacity of 1-7 rounds depending on the shotgun and the relative difficulty of keeping the platform feed when under stress. The key to driving a shotgun efficiently is to always have it topped off. If you run dry then you better have a backup like a handgun. You may think this isn't a big deal but what happens if there is more than 1 intruder.

Second is knowing your shot pattern and knowing how large that pattern is at different distances. The farther your target the wider the pattern. Would really suck to engage an intruder and have the shot pattern be wide enough that some of the shot misses and over penetrates a wall hitting someone on the other side. The pattern also changes from ammo manufacture to manufacture so you need to stick with one brand and even then re-check the pattern if you have different lots of ammo.

Third is light mounting options. Again we are talking self defense of the home and not having a light on your weapon (in my opinion) is a very bad idea. Depending on the shotgun this could be a challenge. I am still trying to find a good mounting solution for my Beneli M4 and I have been looking for years.

If you can deal with and over come these limitations then a shotgun is a very good home defense weapon and in general a very good overall defensive weapon.

But what ever you do DO NOT listen to Uncle Joe Biden when he says get a double barreled shotgun and then fire two rounds into the air to scare off the intruder.

PintSize and PROseur[OP] like this.
  16. Sep 28, 2016 at 3:23 PM
    oni06

oni06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good point. Over penetration is a serious issue with any weapon.
    Always make sure of your target and what is in front AND behind it.

17. Sep 28, 2016 at 6:34 PM
    PROseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    Thank you very much. I have been to the range a few times, so overwhelm isn't something that will happen a lot. However, I would like to be an informed person (somewhat) going in, in case I get a rude know it all salesman that hates women.

Ice Horse[QUOTED] and oni06 like this.
  18. Sep 28, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    PROseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    Around here most of our issues (aside from in case human intruder) is bears and mountain lions. Usually they stay outdoors, and I take proper precaution.

Years ago, a mountain lion went through the glass and attacked a person.

I have 17 motion camera sensors on the property, so usually I am alert, but you never know.

oni06 likes this.
  19. Sep 28, 2016 at 6:38 PM
    PROseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    I am a 1st degree black belt in combat hapkido and have taken 3 self defense (physical not guns) courses. I ordered the book on Amazon, that you recommended. Would be a great start.

20. Sep 28, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    PROseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Pussy
    Vehicle:
    I took Friday off. Will check out two shops/ranges, and I will report back.

I won't make any purchase decisions without posting here first.

Thank you guys for the help.

Products Discussed in

To Top