1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

guns for protection

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Swwacoma, Jul 2, 2010.

?

What do you own your firearm for?

1. Protection.

412 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Hunting.

47 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Both of the above.

700 vote(s)
    56.6%
  4. Don't own any.

77 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Oct 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    Glock .40 model 22 FTW. love that gun, but also like the .45. anyone here go shooting at indoor ranges?

2. Oct 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    I have a concealed carry license- and carry most of the time. I have never had to unholster it...but would not hesitate to do so if I felt I or a member of my family were threatened.

I train regularly to ensure I am confident with my sidearm and that I can hit what I aim at. I am...and I do.

3. Oct 31, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
    I have a conceal carry and do so on the regular...I have carried so long now that I personally feel if I were to not carry for one day, that would be the day that I would need it to protect myself or my family!!

4. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'm totally NOT trolling , but from the outside looking in , this statement seems to be the difference between the attitudes up here and down there about handguns

5. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Oz If you went around Orl. with me for a few days, and saw all the young gang banger want to be's you would know y I never go out without a gun. When ever Im at the park with the dogs or just out for a bike ride or walk. There is Always 3 to 6 young ones out where ever I go. That gray haired SOB has a gun & cwp..,, I really do hope I never have to use it but if threatened I will not Hesitate to shoot and let the police sort it out... Jim

6. Oct 31, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'm not saying either view is right or wrong , I'm just saying that it is remarkable how much it changes at the border

7. Oct 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    wh013mi1k

wh013mi1k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD SPT V6
    I agree with you, OZ... we all fall into the trap of equivocation when it comes to the 2nd amendment / gun rights. We've all seen this show before:

"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

or

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six."

It's the fallacy of logic when it comes to a topic with so much relativity. From my own personal standpoint (keyword: personal) - there are lunatics out there who don't follow the rules and simply want to watch the world burn. If they can cheat - so can I. I won't let them beat me unfairly... I'll bean them unfairly first.

(PS: If you haven't read "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card I highly recommend that anyone here involved in leadership theory do so as quickly as you can).

8. Nov 1, 2012 at 1:09 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

hunter are you still active/reserves in the military?? if so did you know your military ID acts as a georgia weapons carry license for you....also none of the off limits places like bars, government buildings, churches, etc apply to you due to OCGA 16-11-130.3 just like a police officer in Georgia the same code section exempts you
    also an attorney general opinion on the subject

9. Nov 1, 2012 at 2:18 AM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
    Well I think the main reason for my thought process is the fact that we lost 8 cops in just over 2 months in WA state. The way I see it is if they are not afraid of an armed officer of the law, they sure as shit aren't afraid of my ass. I do not want to be put into a situation, whether it be me or someone else, that I cannot do anything to defend myself or another citizen. I carry purely out of preservation. My family is way too important to let some d-bag jeopardize it.

10. Nov 1, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate your response

11. Nov 1, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    Gotcha88

Gotcha88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s all around, Toytec Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5" AAL, Light Racing UCAs, 285/70r17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Eagle 185s, 20% tint all around, Magnaflow 11256, Cobra CB with 2' Firestik, De-Badged, BHLM, UltraGauge, K&N Drop-in, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All-Weather Mats.
    This is a flawed attitude to have, IMO.

12. Nov 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    Molon Labe

Molon Labe Never LBS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica DC TRD 4x4 Auto V6
    see my build
    Well being 24 and living in California I completely understand why you would think that is a flawed attitude. I on the other hand, think the laws in California and the freaks of nature like Nancy Pelosi and those that support her are flawed and weaken our Nation. I am not saying California is a bad place and there are a ton of great people there but dear God you guys live in a bubble.

Should you carry or not?

Wolf or Sheep?

I also live in the Metro Atlanta Area, my job forces me to carry and I carried before I took this job. I love guns but that is who I am and may not be who you are.

Consider this, states where concealed carry is widely supported also have some of the lowest violent crime statistics. Less than 2% of all legally owned firearms will ever be used in crimes.

Also consider the random violent events like the Colorado theater shootings. I grant you that they happen very rarely but when they do and you are one of the victims, wouldn't you want a fighting chance?

Did you know that the Cinemark Century 16 theater in Aurora Colorado had signs posted that they did not allow concealed weapons on the property? Imagine how many live could have been saved by on person carrying a concealed handgun.

Carrying a firearm is not for the faint of heart. You have to know (not think you know, but know) that you have the moral fortitude to use the weapon to defend yourself and others. You also have to know how to use the weapon. Target, Backstop, and Beyond.

I abhor violence, but I will never be a victim and neither should you.

I will leave you with this little gem of a story.
    I had a friend who lived in Atlanta. He had a concealed weapons license for most of his adult life. In 1999 he was hired by M-TV and had to move to NY City. NY City had no concealed carry process, so being the law abiding citizen that he was he did not carry and left all his weapons in Atlanta with another friend. Two weeks after he moved he called me to tell me that last night he was at a gas station getting a cup of coffee when two masked robbers (with guns) entered the station held it up. He was forced to the ground by one of the robbers hitting over the head with a hand gun. He survived, quite M-TV, moved back to Atlanta, and vowed to never be unarmed again.

13. Nov 1, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Dcoma

Dcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    5100's set @ 1.75 /Tinted window's/Vent visors
    Mine are for protection/hunting. I carry at all time's. It's always better to have and not need, than to need and not have!

14. Nov 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    Gotcha88

Gotcha88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s all around, Toytec Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5" AAL, Light Racing UCAs, 285/70r17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Eagle 185s, 20% tint all around, Magnaflow 11256, Cobra CB with 2' Firestik, De-Badged, BHLM, UltraGauge, K&N Drop-in, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All-Weather Mats.
    Whoa whoa whoa.. Are we really going there? I'm a gun owner, carry at work, and am a lifetime member of the NRA. So you can stop coming at me like I'm some gun-hating Californian hippie.

I was in no way speaking out against concealed carry or any carry laws with my statement. I disagree with many of California's gun laws and can't believe that some bills are even being considered right now.

Hunter said "When I carry I don't worry about anything (I live in Atlanta)." How the hell does that make sense? You strap a 9 to your hip and all of the sudden you have a forcefield around you?

This isn't the conversation I'd expect to be having with a couple of Army guys..

15. Nov 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    I'm active duty infantry. I'm currently stationed at the Georgia Tech Army ROTC program as a recruiter until I leave for IBOLC at Ft. Benning, GA (29 NOV). I do know that my military ID acts as a concealed carry license; I try to keep up with and study the gun laws. I got a Georgia Concealed Carry license just to eliminate all doubt in case I was ever stopped. I know that I can carry while I'm on campus also, but I've been told (by a cop, whom I directly asked) that I run the risk of getting arrested and letting the station sort it out (as per guidance of the Georgia Tech police chief). Because of this, I don't carry on campus because I don't want to deal with that.

16. Nov 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You tricked me you SOB

17. Nov 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    Hey Gotcha88,

I'm happy to explain further how I feel. Don't worry, I'm not (nor intend to get) offended, so ask away.

I was trying to allude to the mental factor that comes with carrying a weapon - obviously not a force field, although that would be nice too. I like to think of the "gun" (or weapon for the military guys/gals out there) as the great equalizer - just about anyone can learn to use one effectively, and no one is immune to it. I feel safe (i.e. don't worry about anything) because I am now on an equal playing field with anyone that wants to do me harm. It becomes my mind versus theirs - thus the part of the quote: ".. because I am the meanest, most badass mother f*cker in the whole goddam valley."

Obviously this is not absolute, a pistol won't equalize to a vehicular assault, assault rifles, demolitions, etc., but that class of weapon [use] is hardly common place in our country.

I know that if I am cornered into a confrontation and I can't talk my self out of it (always my first line of defense), I have the means to neutralize the situation against [almost] anybody. I also trust that I am more capable [and willing] to employ lethal force if I absolutely have to, than most of the people I would encounter in that situation (assuming non-serial killers).

Some of this may be wrong, but I believe it to be true. Thus, I feel safe when I carry. I don't feel unsafe necessarily when I don't carry, but I don't feel prepared to lend my fullest assistance to someone in need or defend myself if life threw me a curve ball. As the adage goes, I would rather be safe than sorry.

18. Nov 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    Molon Labe

Molon Labe Never LBS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica DC TRD 4x4 Auto V6
    see my build

Sorry brother, my ill temper spilled over from the heated discussion on the military thread about bringing the troops home. I take it all back and apologize for the knee jerk comments.

19. Nov 1, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    I was following that other thread too; it was getting a little heated over there :rolleyes:

20. Nov 1, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Albeit not directed at me , I found this explanation very helpful , thank you sir

Products Discussed in

To Top