1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gusset up my sliders?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by LonghornTaco, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I mentioned this in another thread, but wanted to get a wider opinion...

In an effort to strengthen up my sliders to reports of weakness and bending, I've been thinking about having some gussets welded on. But it seems that this would introduce the chance of twisting up my frame.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions? Complaints? :)

2. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    Have they bent at all? do you use them that hard? if you dont wheel that hard i dont see the need too

3. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i agree with the above post. If you dont really beat on 'em then i wouldnt worry about it. You should be fine:)

4. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I haven't bent them, but I know a guy that has them, used them as a jack point for his HiLift and now they rattle his cab. Just trying to avoid that...

5. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    weld or bolt on? If there welded on, sounds like the welds may not be the best

6. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    They're welded on, but that's not was bent/failed.

7. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    moserjjx

moserjjx Tacoma Newbie

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD 4x4
    Weathertech liners, bed mat, rear spring TSB, extra 12V outlets in center console, seat belt chime off
    i don't know if i would gusset them, your frame needs a certain amount of "twist" and you don't want to brace heck out of it and crack or break something

8. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i'd gusset them man......................makes them extra strong, and unless you go crazy and land on some big rocks from a high fall or some shit.......i doubt you'll tweak the frame anyway.

9. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    If the sliders them selves bent, theres other problems then gusseting them.

10. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    I wouldn't do it -- bend the sliders... not the frame... :thumbsup:

11. Jan 20, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    I dont have sliders yet but from what I've seen here the shrockworks don't bend no matter what and if there not twisting anybodys frame why would making your all pros stronger twist your frame just a thought from a guy that really don't know shit So if you take my advice and shit breaks sorry. But you know chris should be here any min to give you a technical explaination and prove my theory wrong witch it probably is so this was a useless post kinda.

12. Jan 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys! I guess if I bust them up, I can replace them with some Shrocks. Easier than replacing the frame.... :)

13. Jan 20, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    sorry but what is gusseting?

14. Jan 20, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    Ah gotcha... lets hope not. They've already held up to an Altima's door swinging open due to the wind we've been having lately.
    I laughed when I saw the woman's reaction. :D

15. Jan 20, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    that sounds like he bent the sliders up enough to where they hit on the pinch weld under the cab. i had some jackasses weld the sliders on my 07 and they welded them too high and everytime i'd hit a bump, they'd rub/rattle/make a noise. i had them welded right on the 09, used it as a lift point many times, and no probs at all

16. Jan 20, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Got a pic of the gap?

17. Jan 20, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    not on me....at work now.

18. Jan 20, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    if you want some quality tube sliders with the kickout and an even better price hit up 4xinnovations! i've got their DOM sliders w/kickout and i've done some pretty rough beating on them. no problems what so ever. i would recommend them to anyone!

19. Jan 20, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    *ahem* if i may...shrockworks makes a FINE quality product...however if you have access to a good offroad shop or local fab guy who builds things for the offroad world...they can PROBABLY overbuild you something similar for a similar if not lower cost

i have no doubts in my mind that mine will hold up even if i flop the truck onto one of them and put the entire weight down onto it...and i paid less than $400 for them

ive personally seen a set of their HREW sliders bend and dent...on the same rock

I'm a firm believer that regardless of the fact that it may save you some money...if you are planning on doing ANY wheeling and you arent just using the sliders as a door ding stopper...you should have DOM tube...HREW just aint gonna hold up the abuse that DOM will

20. Jan 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    bingo...i drove up to get mine done...we designed, built, welded, and painted them in 1 day...and i paid for them and drove home...simple as that :D

Products Discussed in

To Top