1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gx470 drivetrain question

Discussion in '4Runners' started by Pickup90, May 14, 2020.

1. May 14, 2020 at 8:56 AM
    Pickup90

Pickup90 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB TRD Sport
    Good afternoon, looking to gain a little insight on a Front end noise. My wife drives a 2003 GX470, I just got done replacing the passenger front wheel bearing with one of the complete hub assemblies from blue pit bearing. Unfortunately, it did not solve the issue.

The noise is an intermittent grinding rattling coming from the passenger front. It usually happens the worst over 60 mph. To me it sounds like you were to throw a tiny Pebble in a bearing. It just grinds/rattles for 2-3 seconds and then is gone. Happens every few minutes or so.

Since it's a GX I cant switch in and out of 4wd to check for the front differential needle bearings. It definitely sounds like a drivetrain noise though.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. May 14, 2020 at 9:00 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    For one, GX doesn't have the needle bearings. They do have a big passenger side bearing in the diff tube. Those can go bad. Its not terribly difficult to replace em, but setting the seal depth on that side is kind of a bitch.

3. May 14, 2020 at 9:01 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
  4. May 14, 2020 at 9:17 AM
    Pickup90

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB TRD Sport
    Learn something new every day. I just assumed it would I guess. I'm in NC

5. May 14, 2020 at 10:55 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    ECGS sells those bearings n seals. They may also do the work as well if they're close to you.

6. May 14, 2020 at 11:46 AM
    Pickup90

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB TRD Sport
    Do you think that could be the issue? It is just weird being intermittent, a bearing seems as though it would always give off noise if it were bad.

7. May 14, 2020 at 12:07 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Your front diff is part time when its in full time 4wd. When you lock the center diff, then it's an actual 4wd. This could explain the intermittent noise. Only way for me to actually identify what the problem is, is to diagnose myself. If you can't successfully be 100% sure what the problem is, then I would suggest a mechanic with experience with your vehicle such as a Toyota or lexus mechanic.

Products Discussed in

To Top