1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gy6.35 HIR 921 reverse light upgrade (vs high power LEDs)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by crashnburn80, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Feb 19, 2020 at 10:42 AM
    Rick_Taco

Rick_Taco I'll do it myself

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB 4WD Limited MGM 110K Miles
    Bird Dog RVM Bracket, Tint 20% all around, Spider Trax 1.250" wheel spacers K&N Drop in air filter Ram Mount A Pillar (And hard wire charging) Dual 2.4amp Charging USB LED Lower Center Dash Light Center Console Light Trailer plug moved to bumper Tonneau Cover Air Pump Filter Upgrade (UNI Filter) Ultimate reverse light upgrade (Phillips 18161) Anytime Fog Lights Blue LED shift light Nitto Ridge Grapplers 265/65/18
    I did A about 1.5 years ago. I also used a pick to bend the copper connectors in a little bit. It felt to loose for my liking without adjusting the socket. I also wore gloves and did not touch the bulbs. Great upgrade!

SR-71A and Hot Taco sauce like this.
  2. Feb 19, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    kumaWRX

kumaWRX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jase
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD Offroad PreRunner 3.4L V6
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, Toytec 1" lift shackles, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, aFE Stg. 2 intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler, 16x8 ProComp 7089 wheels, Toyo Open Country A/T tires, Pamalu bedliner, Bakflip G2 bedcover
    I didn't bend the bulb prongs at all, I just slightly pinched the female tabs in a little and it's in there solid.

Hot Taco sauce likes this.
  3. Feb 21, 2020 at 8:48 AM
    ILuvHotTaco

ILuvHotTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB MGM
    I'm a bull in a China shop. Should have bought extras.

20200221_113434.jpg

The ends of the bulbs had an opaque haze to them. I touched neither with my hands. The rest of the bulb had the iridescent look that I was expecting. Is that normal?

20200221_113728.jpg
    20200221_113842.jpg

JGO likes this.
  4. Feb 21, 2020 at 8:53 AM
    T-TOWN1000

T-TOWN1000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Dcab 4x4 TRDOF
    When I started bending mine I thought I probably should have got a few extras for that reason as well. Luckily I didn't have the happen. I think mine were sort of opaque on the tip as well. Don't know why because they don't look like that in the pictures, but they work so I didn't think anything else of it. Sorry to see that happened to you. Hopefully you have some more ordered.

I almost wonder how hard it would be to reattach the pin since all it has to do is make contact with that plate in the glass and it looks like you could solder it back on there since the glass broke. Probably more trouble that its worth but I do wonder...

5. Feb 21, 2020 at 9:03 AM
    Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    Whats under the truck? OME 886’s Nitro Chargers 1/4” top plate spacers 1.5” Icon add-a-leaf for a total of 3” front and rear. 275/80/17 MTR’s SCS Ray10’ URD Stage 2 clutch Heavy Flywheel Clutch Masters Hydro Bering What’s on the front? Cbi bumper steel. Smittybilt X20 10k Under the hood? Ultimate headlight and fog light harnesses 100w/90w H4Headlights 9011 60wHir Fogs Anytime fog mod Northstar Group 34 14.7 Voltage booster Red Line hood struts K&N replacement filter on secondary air pump K&N air cleaner Donbison Snorkle In the cab? Wet Okie seat covers Petal Comander Meso Maps and Dome Molle panels on the consol Flyeyze Under the climate controls,glove box and center consol TRD Logo plates over door latches Weather Tech Floor mats with Custom TRD stickers Weather Tech Rain guards Weather Tech bug shield Full Head liner of patches On the bed? Snug-top Rebel Yakima racks Chinese knock off bat wing awning with walls Water Port Quick Fists Mount Bed Mat Anti theft tail gate bracket Trailer plug relocate Coms? Buofeng Navigation Garmin Alpha 100 ( Hound hunting GPS System) ECGS Bushing Cobra Rx75 Cb Home made sleeping platform with drawers. On the bench waiting to go in? 3* Cam Gears. Powder Coated Valve Covers Custom 3/4” intake spacer
    I squeezed my tab thinking I would try the least invasive method first. It’s probably a year or so since I did the mod and they are still in there nice and tight. The opaque color is normal.

Hot Taco sauce likes this.
  6. Feb 22, 2020 at 8:51 PM
    BenMara

BenMara That Asian RedNeck

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Belton/Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SCed
    TRD Blower, Ham Radio, DBA T2 Rotors
    need to find a way to get more voltage to these Bulbs....

SR-71A likes this.
  7. Mar 3, 2020 at 4:35 AM
    Hot Taco sauce

Hot Taco sauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Dclb lover
    Just starting out, give me time
    I did the same but also pulled the prongs apart more than they were. So far so good. Holds tight

8. Mar 22, 2020 at 10:11 PM
    Mia K.

Mia K. Member

Member:
    Brilliant post, it's a great reverse light upgrade for my Miata. But for the bulb housings in a Mazda, it's not a tight enough fit even with the bent male prongs and modified female prongs. This is because the OEM Mazda bulb has a "stepped" and graduated glass base that has more diameter. The Gy6.35's thin glass base is simply too small to snugly fit what the wider 921 bulb is supposed to fill. I'll buy some heat resistant tape to see if that firmly secures the bulb in place (once the apocalypse is over). Otherwise, whippin the car around would eventually throw the semi loose bulb out into the reflector housing and that's no good. Did anyone else find a practical solution for too much wiggle room in the "base" part of the socket? Or is it just me with this problem?

crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  9. Mar 27, 2020 at 5:59 AM
    Sxottie

Sxottie Wrenching is therapy, right??

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mystic, CT
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Tonneau hard cover, mud guards, yellow fog light tint, redline hood lift kit, remote tailgate lock, bed lights, window tint, invisible bra, TRD wheel cap decals, tailgate letters, blackout badge kit, LED cab lighting kit, bed hooks, red caliper paint.
  10. Mar 27, 2020 at 6:03 AM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    Looks pretty dim and not much ground coverage either. Seems like another LED fail.

11. Mar 27, 2020 at 6:13 AM
    Sxottie

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mystic, CT
    Vehicle:
    Tonneau hard cover, mud guards, yellow fog light tint, redline hood lift kit, remote tailgate lock, bed lights, window tint, invisible bra, TRD wheel cap decals, tailgate letters, blackout badge kit, LED cab lighting kit, bed hooks, red caliper paint.
    Seriously!! Did not see how much it lit up my neighbor's house which is about 100 feet away? You can't even look at these without squinting. Maybe get your eyes checked? The problem could be there.

12. Mar 27, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    Rick_Taco

Rick_Taco I'll do it myself

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB 4WD Limited MGM 110K Miles
    Bird Dog RVM Bracket, Tint 20% all around, Spider Trax 1.250" wheel spacers K&N Drop in air filter Ram Mount A Pillar (And hard wire charging) Dual 2.4amp Charging USB LED Lower Center Dash Light Center Console Light Trailer plug moved to bumper Tonneau Cover Air Pump Filter Upgrade (UNI Filter) Ultimate reverse light upgrade (Phillips 18161) Anytime Fog Lights Blue LED shift light Nitto Ridge Grapplers 265/65/18
    Doesn't look as bright as my 30W halogens.

BenMara likes this.
  13. Mar 27, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    Sxottie

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mystic, CT
    Vehicle:
    I guess we won't know until they're side-by-side.

14. Mar 27, 2020 at 8:25 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Those are not even close to the halogens covered in this thread by the manufactures own specs, which tend to be way over inflated for Chinese LEDs. Those LEDs claim 650 raw lumens each or 500 raw lumens each they don't seem to be able to get their specs straight, actual Lumens is typically near half so you are around 250-325 lumens. The halogens covered in this thread are 860 lumens, aka 3x+ brighter if the China specs are credible (they are usually not). For an LED to even remotely compete it needs to be an extreme high power LED which requires external heatsinks outside the tail light assembly, which have their own cooling problems and those that have compared the most extreme reverse LEDs to the halogens state the halogens are far better. A dead giveaway though is price. When a $90 LED with huge external heat sinks and massive power draw cannot outperform the halogens, there is little hope for some $16 LEDs with no heat sinks. Also note that looking at LEDs seems super bright because human eyes are highly sensitive to short wavelength light, which LEDs produce large amounts of, so it hurts to look at the lights leading one to think they are super bright. But it is the light spectrum that hurts your eyes, not the output level, which is why instruments are much better to use for judgement.

Too Stroked likes this.
  15. Mar 28, 2020 at 5:42 AM
    Sxottie

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mystic, CT
    Vehicle:
    Wow!! Sorry you're so butt hurt about these LEDs As you can clearly see from the video I provided these LEDs are more than sufficient at clearly illuminating everything behind the truck. PSA, paying more for something doesn't necessarily mean it's better. If you're in need of a lot of light behind your vehicle while backing up I highly recommend these bulbs.

16. Mar 28, 2020 at 7:06 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    He's not butt hurt and he happens to know more about automotive lighting than anybody else here. He's just trying to educate you on the facts using science instead of marketing hype. Sorry you took it the wrong way. If you'd like to back up your "seat of the pants" observations with the kind of scientific data crashnburn80 provides, we're more than interested to see it. As long as you're happy with your LEDs, that's all that counts.

stbear, SR-71A and BenMara like this.
  17. Mar 28, 2020 at 7:08 AM
    Hot Taco sauce

Hot Taco sauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Dclb lover
    Just starting out, give me time
    Seriously dude:bananadead:

stbear and SR-71A like this.
  18. Mar 28, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    Sxottie

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mystic, CT
    Vehicle:
    Seriously, everyone needs to chill. You're all getting pissed over a light bulb? I don't need an education on lighting, lumens or candle power. I've used various LED bulbs for many years with a lot of trial and error. I've sorted through tons the LED hype. These work very well.

I've not found suitable LED replacements for other bulbs on the Tacoma.

19. Mar 28, 2020 at 8:54 AM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    Well they don't hold a candle to the Gy6.35 as far as performance goes and that's what this particular thread is about.

SR-71A likes this.
  20. Mar 29, 2020 at 6:14 AM
    Sxottie

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Mystic, CT
    Vehicle:
To Top