1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe 20ga vs Savage 220

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 10ptXtreme, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Jan 21, 2015 at 5:46 AM
    10ptXtreme

10ptXtreme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    I'm looking to buy a new slug gun and have narrowed my choices to these 2 guns. Being a lefty shooter, I know that the 220 can be bought in a left hand model but it's almost a guarantee that it'll have to be ordered. The H&R on the other hand is basically ambidextrous and can be bought right off the shelf. I'm aware that I'll need to test various rounds but I'd like your input as to whether one is inherently more accurate than the other, and by how much (X" at 100yds better). Also, in your opinion is the 220 worth the 50% up charge as compared to the H&R.

Thanks,
    David

2. Jan 21, 2015 at 5:54 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    I have several of the H & R single shot shotguns. Most of them are the older Topper model. They are a super cheap gun, but they're also super reliable and very accurate. Mine still function like they're brand new, and I've never had one not fire when I pulled the trigger no matter what weather I was hunting in.
    Personally, I'd go with the H&R and put the extra $$ towards ammo for practicing. The followup shot from the Savage is nice, but with a little practice you can reload an H&R single shot very quickly.

Edit- On the other hand, it should be noted that I have an older Mossberg 394kb with a poly choke that I use on a regular basis, because the followup shot is nice.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  3. Jan 21, 2015 at 7:48 PM
    jgillchevy

jgillchevy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD Off Road
    5100s on all corners, front set at .85" w/ Eibach coils TSB rear springs w/ Wheelers offroad 3 leaf aal pack AFE drop in airfilter Weathertech floormats Wetokole seatcovers Tacoma bedmat Maglight install Rear diff breather mod Moroso oil catch can painted black rear bumper HomerTaco color matched satoshi grill BAMF bolt-on sliders URD fuel pump w/ external fuel filter Ultragauge
    I have a H&R model 980 Ultra Slug gun in 12 ga. w/ a Nikon 3X9 slughunter scope. I shoot Hornady SST slugs. It is VERY accurate. I sight in the scope at only 50 yds (I hunt on post at Fort Campbell, Ky and your average shot on deer is 50 yds or less) and quite often all rounds from my 3 round shot group will be touching each other or very close to it. I can not speak on the Savage but I can tell you on the H&R that accuracy need not be a concern....it is a tack driver....as is often said about weapons, "it probable shoots better than the shooter."
    With this shotgun there should be NO need for a follow up shot (not on the SAME deer anyways), IF you use good judgement on when to shoot, one shot will equal one dead deer. I shoot left handed and I have one of those elastic shell holders that go around the stock (holds 5 shells). The split second after shooting a deer (and I mean the shot is still ringing in the air) I'm breaking open the gun, spent shell flyin out, next shell removed from band on stock and dropped in chamber, gun closed, ready to put scope on next deer. That speed/follow up shot is only needed if you have multiple deer and want to drop another one. I've shot 2 deer like that many of times with my single shot H&R, because when you shoot that 1st deer the other deer don't seem to have that ability to "triangulate" and "lock in" the location of that shot so they will typically only 10-15 yds and stop because they don't want to commit too far in any one direction until they confirm the direction/location of that 1st shot. But if you wait, even a second, to reload after taking your 1st shot then their ears and eyes, that are now on high alert, will definitely get target lock on you and they will be gone.
    Sorry for long winded rambling. H&R is a great hunting shotgun, one shot is all you need and this gun provides you with the ability of one very accurate shot. Not with everyone, but with some people knowing they have that very fast follow up shot (auto loaders/pumps) may lead them to not focus as much on the accuracy of their 1st shot....so "they" say.

4. Feb 20, 2015 at 5:32 PM
    hitech

hitech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Just some dumb regular crap everyone else has
    I have both the H&R Ultra slug hunter thumbhole in 20 gauge with a Nikon 1.5-5x36, and the Savage 220 SS, camo stock, 3-9x40 Redfield. In my opinion, the H&R is more accurate, easier to shoot and is just flat out awesome. I've shot 5 bucks with my H&R and 1 with my 220. The problem that I have with the 220 is that it's too light. Nice and easy to carry, but doesn't seem as steady to shoot and more hold sensitive. After years of shooting my H&R, I'll probably get rid of my 220. Also consider a T/C Encore with a 20 gauge slug barrel. I have a lot of friends with that combo and it flat out just shoots great.

5. Feb 20, 2015 at 5:43 PM
    BYBO

BYBO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    Indiana
    I prefer a heavier gun. Those single shots kill my shoulder.

6. Feb 21, 2015 at 4:23 AM
    hitech

hitech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Just some dumb regular crap everyone else has
    My H&R is much heavier than my 220, and it doesn't kick that bad in 20 at all. My buddy has a T/C in 20 and his kicks more, yet weighs less. I too prefer a heavier gun, my H&R single shot is a great deer gun.

Products Discussed in

To Top