1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

H1N1 Flu Shot Poll

Discussion in 'Health' started by Taco-NB, Oct 28, 2009.

?

Will you be getting the H1N1 Flu Shot?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2009.
  1. YES: I will be getting the H1N1 shot when it is available

58 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. NO: I will not be getting the H1N1 shot.

178 vote(s)
    67.2%
  3. Yes: I have already received the H1N1 flu shot.

29 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Oct 31, 2009 at 5:09 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I heard the opposite. Why are all the doctors recommening myself and my young boy to get the shot then if its not effective?

2. Oct 31, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    no, i will not be getting any vaccines. i'd be the 1 in 1,000,000 that ends up like the cripwalking cheerleader chick. plus i don't really trust the gubment. :spy:

3. Oct 31, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I've gotten the flu shot most years out of the last 20 and have NEVER gotten the flu - from the shot or otherwise.

What is your sourse? I'd like to see this study/report...

4. Oct 31, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    anti

anti Well-Known Member

Member:
    Johnson
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB 4WD
    because these are the same doctors that over medicate children and adults, treating every behavioral problem as ADD/ADHD or depression.
    Who benefits from prescribing ADD medicine? doctors and pharmaceutical companies
    Who benefits from flu shots? doctors and pharmaceutical companies
    **hint, hint: checked Novartis stock price over the last 3 months?**

5. Oct 31, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    Constant

Constant Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad X-Cab
    x2
    yea, the symptoms will prolly be less severe if you get the shot, but i figure im gonna be bed ridden and on tons of pain killers anyway so why care? Reading that 75% of the kids at a town are out sick with it actually brings some reassurance that this is just another flu introduced to humans that we'll inevitably learn to deal with every year. It'll prolly mutate just like any other virus and we'll just face having to get another shot next fall/winter like the normal flu shot. I never get flu shots, cuz im a huge panzy when it comes to needles, and I make due well enough. Ill just stick to cod liver oil in moderation and have the vitamin d do most of the preventative legwork.

6. Oct 31, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB [OP] MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    I think your confusing bacterial infection with a viral infection. The problem your referring to is caused when people have a bacterial infection and they do not finish all of the medication that's prescribed. They feel better but the bacterial is still in their system and, when they stop taking the medication, the bacteria can sometimes make the person sick again the this can lead to the creation of new strains of the bacteria (come times referred to as super bugs) that are resistant to the antibacterial medication.

Cheers.

7. Oct 31, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Just in case you guys didnt see it, leprocy has killed just about the same amount of people as the swine flu in the last 300 days: Swine flu Put in perspective

8. Oct 31, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB [OP] MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Yea .... thank god that the scientists invented anti-leprosy drugs drugs back in the 60's and 70's so that we don't have to worry about catching leprosy!! :eek:

Looks like those drugs and the swine flu vaccination are doing their jobs!!

Cheers.

9. Oct 31, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    :facepalm:

10. Nov 3, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I don't trust flu shots. I got one only once and it made me deathly ill... Plus all the hype about the swine flu is just BS. They had the swine flu years ago.

Another thing I think is Obama is riding this flu rollercoaster for his benifit and his health insurance plans.

And another! The flu is only deadly to elder people or babies. Any normal person can get the flu and be just fine.

11. Nov 3, 2009 at 10:19 PM
    SLOH

SLOH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, dc long bed speedway blue
    2.5 Icon c/o's and 3" AllPro rear suspension kit, 17" XD Series Addict w/ 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, K&N 63 Series CAI, 13.5'' JL Sub (13TW5v2-2) and 500w Rockford Fosgate amp, limo tint all around, cat back banks exhaust with no muffler or tip, blue dash light mod, "taco" 3rd brake light mod, blue dome-light mod, cb radio and 4' firestik antenna, blacked out hoodscoop(thanks randy), Total Chaos UCA's
    how flu shots work, viruses are constantly mutating and changing even over the course of the year...so pharmaceutical companies/doctors, whatever you want to call them, try to guess how the strand has ended up based of numerous factors, such as where the virus has been that year, previous similar viruses and how those mutated, so its not an exact science. Theres not only 1 type of flu virus and 1 form of a virus can mutate, say a pig becomes infected with typical swine flu and avian flu at the same time, those 2 viruses mutate forming a single virus that then is caught by a human, mutates in their body and all of a sudden we have a whole new virus aka how H1N1 came about, i forget the exact details of how the mutation of viruses occurs w/i the body, i could dig around my notes trying to find it again if someone is really interested.
    Sometimes only mild mutations occur or not even at all, hard to predict.

So the shot contains a "potential version" of what the virus COULD be the following year, based off of their speculations, sometimes they are right, sometimes they are partially right and other times way off, which is why sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Some people get sick or don't feel well after getting one because people's bodies respond differently to everything, some people's bodies might be more sensitive and they have minor reactions to the dead virus, despite the fact that it is dead. Most of the time doctors recommend it is cause it does no harm and potential good, so why not

personally i don't care enough to go get one and i had the thing last year so i know what to expect, lasts about a 4-5 days and then youre good, builds character right? haha

12. Nov 3, 2009 at 10:21 PM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Flu shots are BS... just a stimilus package for the economy. :)

13. Nov 4, 2009 at 3:30 AM
    NorthernTacoma

NorthernTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Off-Road 6 speed manual TRD exhaust
    TRD Exhaust, Rear leaf TSB, TRD CAI, Biceman 4x4 Illuminated switch mod
    im sorry, how do doctors benefit from the flu shot? Ive never seen a dime from it. By the way, i've never gotten the flu shot b/c I really don't believe it's worth it b/c it only covers the most common strains that hit china and japan before the flu gets to us. I personally think my immune system is stronger by never have gotten the shot. I did however get the swine flu vaccine b/c I'm currently working at a children's hospital and didn't want to bring the swine flu home to my wife and kids. Doctor's don't benefit from the shot whatsoever.

14. Nov 4, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    EMTaco

EMTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport
    Seat belt chime mod, more yet to come....
    Got it...work basically made us. Something about hauling around sick people all day lol.

15. Nov 4, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    im getting it like tomorrow.... i think

16. Nov 4, 2009 at 8:07 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    whats will it hurt if you do get it?
    and your not being the ass jeffrock is

17. Nov 4, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    Vultite

Vultite Active Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    94' Ranger
    I'm not getting the shot b/c i just got the damn H1N1, and i'm 25 and in great shape. But I will say this, only took me out for a couple of days (with help of tamiflu) but it's a pain in the ass, it feels like it's gonna linger for a while. There shouldn't be a huge fuss over this because it's been around for quite a while, just a different type of flu, and yes, people die from it like the other flu's. I'm an EMT, exposed to this crap all the time so figures i'd get it, but the H1N1 isn't even available to us either

18. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    NorthernTacoma

NorthernTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Off-Road 6 speed manual TRD exhaust
    TRD Exhaust, Rear leaf TSB, TRD CAI, Biceman 4x4 Illuminated switch mod
    Sounds like you have some research to do. Actually doctors lose money on the flu shot. If you look at the books, which I have, the physician's office loses money when all is said and done. Why is that, you ask? Because they want to much money for the damn shot. But guess what we have to pay for it and give it to our patients. WE DON'T MAKE A PROFIT ON THE FLU SHOT. Pharmacutical companies don't tell me what to push. I make my own decisions based on sound science. I'm not arguing that pharm companies charge way too much money, because they do. They are a big problem with the health care cost. People have this impression that doctors are always making so much money from everything. This is entirely not true. You should try redirecting your anger at someone else. No brainwashing here buddy.

19. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:17 AM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    I don't have needles stuck in me for the hell of it

20. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    CJH9980

CJH9980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Shreveport, LA/Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD PRO
    Wescott lift Wescott rock sliders Prinsu Cabrack SpartanXcustoms skewp light Demon Hook front recovery point Diamondback SD (just shipped) N2 Designs Remote Start A few meso goodies
    This is ignorance, spoken from someone who has never worked in healthcare. Recent legislation has severely reduced the "perks" that physicians get from pharm companies. And they certainly aren't getting any "incentives" from giving flu shots. Hospitalized patients at my facility are all given the flu shot unless they specifically refuse it, and the doctors have nothing to do with it, its hospital policy.

Products Discussed in

To Top