1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

    You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

    As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Had a wiring problem

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by LTDSC, Jan 22, 2014.

  1. Jan 22, 2014 at 9:22 PM
    #1
    LTDSC

    LTDSC [OP] Trophy Van

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2013
    Member:
    #101544
    Messages:
    1,399
    Gender:
    Male
    First Name:
    Sam
    NorCal
    I installed a LED bar around Christmas time, its been on and working great for some time. Today i smelled some weird electrical smell while driving and figured that couldnt be good. I did some investigating in my console and found this

    [​IMG]

    This is the wire that melted the loom in the pic above. Looks like maybe a diode or whatever got too hot or shorted out.

    [​IMG]

    Now, i know first thing everyone will think is how did you wire your light. I used the drawing i found on here below;

    [​IMG]

    and this one

    [​IMG]

    What exactly would have caused this? Could the diode just go out on me? The switch wont work obviously so im hoping i didnt blow the OEM AUX switch. I know the OEM wiring in the harness is very very tiny, could it just have maxed out the little wiring?

    Can i just rewire it with bigger wiring without a diode or whatever is in that wire which melted?

    Anyone have any idea?
     
  2. Jan 23, 2014 at 4:39 AM
    #2
    takern

    takern Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    Member:
    #20905
    Messages:
    1,356
    Gender:
    Male
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    my first thought is to checl all your grounds for connection or possibly too much corrosion
     
  3. Jan 23, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    #3
    LTDSC

    LTDSC [OP] Trophy Van

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2013
    Member:
    #101544
    Messages:
    1,399
    Gender:
    Male
    First Name:
    Sam
    NorCal
    The diode is in the oem wiring. I did a ton of googling last night and its apparently there for oem wiring. As if I was plugging in to factory system. It's so the computer won't overload the switch. But a lot of people instruct to remove the wire with the little diode in it and wire a normal wire and have no issues. Its been hooked up for a month no issue then I was driving with it off and smelled plastic.

    Its the red/green wire so its the wire in which leads to the relay.
     
  4. Jan 23, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    #4
    LTDSC

    LTDSC [OP] Trophy Van

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2013
    Member:
    #101544
    Messages:
    1,399
    Gender:
    Male
    First Name:
    Sam
    NorCal
    Ok, i figured it out.

    First tested all connections, all were good and getting power correctly. I tested the relay and it showed i was getting power at the relay but not to the light bar. I then tested the power wire to the battery and the light worked somewhat so i then looked at the ground. I unhooked where i grounded it and then touched both terminals to the +/- and the bar was fine, lit up like normal.

    From there i made a different ground and tested it all and it worked great. So i patched everything back up, set it all up and works great.

    My guess is the ground shorted out the diode and the diode burned up protecting the switch. Just glad i figured it out, was beginning to frustrate me.
     
To Top