1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Had a 'WTF Not now! moment...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Bdiddy11, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Oct 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    Bdiddy11

Bdiddy11 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Unknown lift, 31's
    Driving home after work and happen to look down at the temp gauge and notice it's a little higher than normal... and continues to rise! Luckily the light turned green and as soon as I hit the skinny pedal the temp started to go down... then slowly back up so I quickly pulled into the little strip mall..

Let the truck sit for about 10 mins or so. Popped the hood to see if anything out of the ordinary... no smell whatsover indicating that it was that 'hot'. No coolant leaks or anything... no smoke etc.

Went to crank the truck back on and no lights. Went and checked out the battery, the positive side was a little loose and the two wires connected had some play. Hand tightened the bolt (no tools on me) and went and cranked it back on.

Turned the heater on for good measures in case it decided to heat up again.

I made it about 3 miles home and the temp never rose.

Another weird thing that happened.. I had another thread about a weird gurgly rain stick noise coming from the center dash/engine bay area that occurred upon take off. Someone suggested it was a plugged A/C tube and that his friend had something similar... after I started up the truck I haven't really heard the gurgling anymore.

Could it be that this 'plugged' hose had enough pressure that it caused temp to rise, but with said pressure blew the plugged part out?

Not sure where to start troubleshooting this...

96 auto 2.7l

2. Oct 22, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
  3. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Water pump?

4. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    Bdiddy11

Member:
    Unknown lift, 31's
    Just drove it again about 2 miles or so... no temp issues or gurgling

5. Oct 22, 2010 at 10:31 PM
    Bdiddy11

Member:
    Unknown lift, 31's
    Just drove it another 20ish miles or so and temp gauge was fine... hmmm:confused:

6. Oct 22, 2010 at 10:44 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    fan hub? thermostat sticking? sounds weird...

7. Oct 23, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    willtotheumm

willtotheumm Yo Taco!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 Lunar Mist DC TRD Offroad PreRunner V6
    K&N intake. That is all. For now...
    Sounds like your fan isnt working to me. Might want to test that out.

I had a 91 Tercel that had no issues staying cool unless I was at a stop then it would start rising. Replaced the fan relay and it never happened again.

8. Oct 23, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    rwcfrank

rwcfrank Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    See that before, driving down the road and a piece of plastic flew up and hit the grill, completeley covering air intake. Car overheated until the driver slowed down and the plastic bag flew off before they actually came to a stop. I pulled over to tell them what happened. The car was never shut off and the temp went back down immediately. Could that be what happened to you?

9. Oct 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    Bdiddy11

Member:
    Unknown lift, 31's
    Could be the fan cuz when I pulled in the first time it happened, the positive battery cable was loose enough I could move the wires with my fingers and the truck didn't restart because of the bad connection.

Would a bad positive battery connection cause the fan not to kick on?

The other weird thing is that the gurgling sound from before isn't really there. Happened once during my longer drive last night though but not nearly as bad...

Gremlin bastards!

10. Oct 23, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I think the gurgling sound you have is some coolant fluid in your heater core. Maybe an air bubble in there and coolant is filling it up. I think I have heard that in my truck. I used to get it in the car I had before the Tacoma, it did it all the time. Was not an issue. As far as the over heating, I have no idea. Maybe the loose battery did have something to do with it. Not sure. Good luck with it though.

11. Oct 23, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    Bdiddy11

Member:
    Unknown lift, 31's
    Did it again a few times while driving over to my parent's house. About an 8 mile drive, spiked up to just below redline temp and went back down to normal. Then again when we left their house it did it again.

On the way to my nephew's soccer game once we got going about 45mph it did it again and actually stayed up for a few seconds this time and eventually went back down...

Could this be a bad temp sender/sensor or t-stat?

Weird thing is there isn't any hot coolant smell and when we drove about 15 miles to my nephew's game the hood of the truck wasn't hot at all...

It's makin' me nervous driving now because it's being all wonky

12. Oct 25, 2010 at 3:17 PM
    Bdiddy11

Member:
    Unknown lift, 31's
    What's it mean when the coolant in your reservoir bottle looks kinda like murky water? Doesn't really look oily... just dirty.

And where is the AC unit located on a 96 2.7l? Trying to find the hose that might be plugged and making the gurggling sound...

13. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    Bdiddy11

Member:
    Unknown lift, 31's
    Would an air bubble in the system be relieved if I were to open the radiator cap?

I opened it up just to look inside... and went and drove a round trip of about 20 miles and didn't see the temp gauge do it's temperature spike and go back down quickly...

Either way, we're taking it to get the system flushed tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

14. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    Thermostat or radiator cap?

15. Nov 9, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    tacomahappy

tacomahappy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma 2.4 ltr extra cab
    Try doing a compression leak down test. It kinda sounds like your head gasket is leaking and you're compressing air into your cooling/water system.

16. Nov 10, 2010 at 5:40 AM
    Gooch814

Gooch814 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Sumter SC
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner SR5
    5100's all around, Toytec coils, 2inch AAL. Deckplate mod. Westin Nerf Bars.
    How do your belts look?

17. Nov 10, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's set @ 0 with OME 883x coils up front . Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip.
    How meny miles on it? If you have more then 30.000 miles, I would do a coolent flush and change the t-stat and rad cap.Also check your uper and lower rad hoses. I would start with that..

To Top