1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ham radio questions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Fire Force, May 31, 2011.

1. May 31, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    Fire Force

Fire Force [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad (mostly stock)
    Bull bar, UWS toolbox, Yaesu FT-8800R dual band ham radio
    All,

I just got the ham license and I'm probably going to get a Yaesu FT-8900R for my truck. I'm waffling between the Comet and Diamond antennas at this time but I'd like to know what sort of coaxial cable to get. Some of the mounts available for the Comet/Diamond antennas come with a coax already, but I'd just like to be sure.

Any advice from ham operators who have radios in their trucks would be great!

Thanks
    Ian

2. Jun 9, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    Westside Medic

Westside Medic Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    DRLM, DFLM, hid 8000k HL, bed extender, 16" moto metal 951 black and chrome , 285/75/16 bfg allterrain, Set of 5100's front set at 2.5", Tsb Rear leaf with 2" block , Jensen 7.5" flip up CD / DVD with iPhone hook up , in channel rain guards and husky floor mats, low profile black tool box, cool blue led interior dome and map lights, XM radio, Rearview camera in rear tag, Ham radio Kenwood TMV 708-A, 6 Whelen hideaway strobes and Whelen slimlighter in back window..Blacked out Badges.. Tinted tail lights and 3rd break light..
    I have a Kenwood TMV 708a head unit and a comet SBB7 antenna. I dont use it as a Ham radio being that i havent taken the test. I use it for the Fire Deparment. I can get you some pic's of how i have it set up im my truck if you want. Just let me know.

3. Jun 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    No knowledge on your question, but what did you use to study for the test? How long did you study? Am thinking about jumping into a test this Saturday morning...

4. Jun 9, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    www.hamtestonline.com its $25, but you can sit down with this for 3 hours the night before and pass.

Most just use RG58, which is what comes with most the mounts. If you want to get all technical about it and get something with less loss you can go with RG-8X.

5. Jun 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Cool, that's the one I was looking at. I'll sign up. Thanks!

6. Jun 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    Fire Force

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    LOL, I totally forgot that I posted this thread.

Anyway, my ham install is totally ghetto but it works:

[​IMG]

Yaesu FT-8800R with cheap magnet mount VHF/UHF antenna. Cigarette lighter power supply. Works brilliantly.

7. Jun 9, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    DO NOT RUN FULL POWER ON A CIGARETTE ADAPTER. your radio does a lot more power than a CB and really needs a proper connection directly to the battery. I very highly suggest you do not transmit 50W with your current setup.

8. Jun 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    Fire Force

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Don't worry; since all the local repeaters are close, I keep the power setting at LOW at all times.

I'm off this weekend so the radio is going to get wired to the battery for sure.

9. Jun 9, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Check link in my sig for a different ft8900 mount option.

10. Jun 9, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    Fire Force

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    I just don't have the technical proficiency to mount my radio like bjmoose! Cigarette lighter and mag mount works for me (at least for now)!

11. Jun 9, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    traversing

traversing New Member

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Sweet!!!
    I am getting ready to drill a hole in the roof and run the coax down the door post and connect it to the radio body that will be mounted under the seat or behind the back seat. My radio head is going to be mounted directly above my center vents, just need to figure out how to take that black plastic molding off that goes around the am/fm radio, a/c. I will make an "L" bracket to mount my radio head to, the bracket will go behind and above the two vents and screw it to something under the dash. I may have to get creative and make a "U" cut in the plastic molding for the data cable that goes to the radio head. If I have room, I am going to install my 706 MRKIIG, it will have to go behind the rear seat back rest or under the back seat, it will have to be conntected to the tuner. I plan on mounting a piece of tube steel on the right rear corner of the bed and make an easy on and off HF antenna mounting post. Still shopping for the right screwdriver antenna, but the dualband antenna is going to be a breakover comet.

Ronnie, KE5NSM

12. Jun 9, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    kd8awe

kd8awe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fog mod, 3" lift, ShoMe stobes, MicroLight LED Strobes, HiLift Jack, RCI 2950, Yaesu 8900r, 20% Tint, ScanGauge II, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, *** New Mod's (parts on the way) *** U-Bolt flip kit. Tom Woods 1 Piece Double Cardan Drive Shaft. 3* Axel Shims
    http://www.houstonamateurradiosupply.com/home/index.html

The link is a Ham Radio shop in Houston. I am sure that they can help you get the mount that will work best for you.

I run a Yaesu 8900r and a Comet UHV-4 antenna. I have also used a Diamond SMG-911 (till I broke it) . Both work very well for the quad band radio.

Most antennas don't come with the coax because of all the different mounting options. I have my antenna mounted to the side of my toolbox. I ran the coax through the bed floor (near the cab in the corner of the bed) then along the frame through a plug on the cab floor. I have my radios ( I have two) mounted on a post bracket (like in a police car) that uses the front passenger seat bolts to hold the mount.

13. Aug 3, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    mrrobwood

mrrobwood Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dracut MA
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL CAB
    Get rid of that wiring before you hurt your radio. Cigarette lighter does not have sufficient amperes. It would be best to run a relay with a fuse from the battery. Don't wire into ignition. Mine is wired into ACC. For now only run 5w. That's all you need to reach repeaters if you have a good antenna.

14. Aug 3, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    Does ham and a Cb have anything in common? Can A CB talk to Ham an a Ham to A cb? Ham is more powerful, that I know, and you need a Ham license, but please list some differences. Thanks

15. Aug 3, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Ham can transmit on CB channels. CBs are limited to frequencies from 27-28mhz which is within the HF spectrum.
    A ham operator and a CB operator could talk back and forth, but it would be limited to a few miles at most due to a cbs lack of power.

There are some exceptions. I've been able to converse about 20 miles range with a CB op from our aircraft, but being in the air gets pretty cluttered with other traffic quickly.

16. Aug 3, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I know ham can bounce off the atmosphere and get all kinds of range but what is the reason for hams in trucks? Oher than the obvious, natural disaster, police/firefighter/emt. I guess if you plan to be 100 miles from nowhere and cell phones don't work then a Ham will save your butt. I'm not being a smart ass but I was so unhappy with the CB I bought and only had local guys who only wanted to talk OVER people rather than listen and talk. I use it on road trips but listening to truckers talk and only having a limited range gets old really quick. Need more info, thanks.

17. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    silver taco

silver taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
    The reasons for hams in trucks is so people ahead can call out road conditions to others behind. Last mohave trip I did, there were times when I was over 5 miles behind as they had lt and im running ome. I could radio ahead to get directions and the reception was crystal clear. Another time we were offroad in two groups and the one group was miles ahead and a guy in our group broke his rear diff. Cb reception was crap but the guys could hear me just fine. I was able to tell them not to wait up and they could head home cuz we had to get the truck running. The ham is probably my favorite thing I've done to the truck, next to the lift.

18. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    silver taco

silver taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
    Qrz.com has free practice tests with the actual questions. If any if you want, pm me with your email address and ill send you a file with all of the questions and answers that they use to form the test.

19. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    I took my 3rd brake light lens and base off, used a file to make a groove in the base, and ran my cable into the cab that way. Sealed it with black RTV and a wet finger. No holes in the roof. Was a PITA pulling the interior panels off to run it behind them, but you can't see the cable at all until it comes out under the dash.

20. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    For those saying Fire Force is hurting something using his cigarette lighter socket to power his rig, isn't that socket fused? Wouldn't the fuse blow if the rig tried to pull too much?

Products Discussed in

To Top