1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Handling after changing factory suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by gfiber, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Jan 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    gfiber

gfiber [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD Sport
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg
    I am thinking of purchasing a new bumper for my 2009 V6 Automatic Tacoma DBL cab, TRD Sport with towing package. Likely to purchase an ARB or All Pro bumper . Since either is going to add weight to the truck I will likely have to change the front springs at some point. No plans for new wheels and tires. It currently has the Dunlops installed with 17 inch rims. Don't remember the actual size. Maybe no lift either but if I need to only a 3 inch one.

Most aftermarket stuff is may not likely be designed by a Society of Automotive Engineer as the factory suspension is.

Since the suspension geometry is changed with application of these aftermarket kits I am wondering how those of you who have applied lifts, and stronger springs find the handling after doing that work. Seems like most on TW have done something to their Tacoma suspension so this is a good place to learn about troubles.

Do you feel confident going into a corner and through it more than with the stock suspension? less chance of a rollover, body sway etc?

How is the ride? Comfortable? I like a little bone jarring as it allows me to feel the roadway.

How about doing evasive highway moves, would you be afraid doing a very quick lane change (swerve) the truck would loose traction maybe roll over?

Do you feel the center of gravity has been raised and the truck seems top heavy now its up 3 inches ?

I saw one person years ago had a Ford raised about 6 inches and he rolled it doing a right hand turn on a flat city street at 20 MPH. It was to top heavy it appeared.

I glanced through this forum and there are 156 pages currently, am not sure just what to search on. I know the difference between unsprung and sprung weight and there are some considerations there too. Most of my driving is on paved streets with some forest service roads as my job takes me out there sometimes.

Thanks for any replies and thoughts.

Gary

2. Jan 22, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Over thinking it WAY too much.

Take the time to read the threads about the different brands of equipment and opinions. Body roll can worked out if it bothers you. Ride is fine. Haven't had any issues with quick maneuvering.
    Obviously the CG is higher- but it's not that ridiculous.

This is one of those things- You gotta accept some risk and pay to play. If you want the ARB bumper- gotta compensate for it. understand what you are doing and do it the right way- You'll be fine.

3. Jan 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    cameronlane

cameronlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    If you do not plan on changing wheels and tires there is no real need to get any more of lift than you already have with your trd package. To counter the weight of the bumber, you could consider getting some new ome coils. with out a winch 885 would be fine but if you may get a winch 886 would be the route to go.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.ph...ategory_id=71&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

My truck is lifted but I still feel very confident with handling. You just have to remember what you are driving. It is not a sports car, it is a truck and will handle as
    such.

"I saw one person years ago had a Ford raised about 6 inches and he rolled it doing a right hand turn on a flat city street at 20 MPH. It was to top heavy it appeared."

That's why don't have fords.

4. Jan 22, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    gfiber

gfiber [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD Sport
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg
    In late 1976 I bought a new 1977 CJ5 Jeep. I did roll it in January 1977 over busting snow drifts at 55 MPH on a "closed" due to snow state route.

I am old school, did two years of vocational automotive mechanics in high school 1968 to 1970, learned to use a Sun 1120 scope, a Sun distributor machine changed to many points and condenser that I care to remember, carb adjustments, change spark plugs every 12,000 miles. The vehicles always had an electric starter motors though, no cranks ;) That stuff is mostly gone except for racing engines and street rods it seems.

Yes probably heavier springs will do it for me. I know its not a sports car but handling in emergencies is a consideration I want to make. That CJ5 Jeep, short wheel base, always seemed like it could roll at any time if one did a quick move to evade an accident. Rode like a lumber wagon too.

SAY THANKS!!! for the replies and opinions

Gary

To Top