1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hankook Danapro ATM 75k review

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by cdthiker, May 7, 2016.

1. May 7, 2016 at 8:51 PM
    cdthiker

cdthiker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    WAY north Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma RC 4X4 5speed
    Hi all,

I know one of the big questions that gets asked around a lot here is what tires doe you have, do you like them etc etc

I figured that I post of review of the Hankook Danapro ATM tires that I have been running for 75 k miles now.

I put these tires on my truck after I suffered my second flat with the crap 2.0 whatevers that came on the truck. Two Flats in the first five k of owning the truck from new. Since then the Danapro's have been all over the county on just about any type of road or trail you can find.

Details
    10 Ply Hankook Danapro ATM AT tires. 245 75 16 Stock size
    Bought summer 2012
    Installed on: 2012 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 5 speed 4x4 2.7

How I use my truck and these tires.

I Live in the mountains of Idaho at 5000 feet we have thousands of square miles of public land and endless trails.
    Before this I was in Sandpoint Idaho and before that with the truck in the Mountains of Wyoming.

I use my truck as a truck 4x4 is a must and so are good tires. I have a 250 pound topper on the truck year round and add another three hundred pounds of sand in the truck for when it snows ( five months out of the year)

Since owning the truck I have heated all of my homes with fire wood. I collect it my self off the national forrest. Some times in the the bed, some times in a trailer, most of the time both.

I grow some of my own food, at the start of each summer I use my truck to haul dirt for my garden, compost etc half a yard at a time.

In the winter I tow my sled around, some times just one, time times three.

Needless to say, its a truck, I use it as such and these tires have got the heck beat out of them.

I also use my truck for work. I contract teach wilderness Medicine courses all over the country. Mostly in the rocky mountain area, often times if I am going for a ten day trip, I will drive so I can have some more freedom. So while I spend a lot of the time in the woods, my truck also spends a lot of time running down the highway at 80.

Details.

tires have 75k on them
    They are reaching the last tread depth bar. Perhaps 1/5 to 1/4 of tread left.
    Tires rotated every 5 k with oil change except twice in 75k miles

at ten K I had them rebalanced several times because when I had them rotated they picked up a bit of a shimmy. Turns out most of them was from a drive shaft that had been off from the factory. To this day a bit of a shimmy remains when that set goes on the back or to the front etc. suspect some sort of minor wear from drive shaft problem.

45-50 k noticed ever other tread block on all four tires starting to wear a bit faster on all four tires. Never became a huge problem, tires still look like this now.

tires run at 40pis year round.

Sand: Decent, deeper sand might word better with this tire aired down
    Snow: first three winters with this tire were great. Awesome in the deep, the slushy, the wet. Decent on hard packed snow covered roads, hard pack glare, melt freeze repeat glare not really ice but not really snow ( lots of our side roads around here) just OK. first two winters were much better but at the 50 k mark the rubber was starting to get stiff and hard. I have driven this this truck in 18 inches of fresh snow no problems, countless mountain passes and trips to ski mountains on these tires. This truck has gotten stuck three times in four years all in deep weat heavy snow to the frame. Tires are awesome in most snow. Best AT I have ever used in the snow other then duratrack
    gravel : Fantastic. of those 75k miles at least ten of them and perhaps closer to fifteen were off road. Lots of the times pulling a wood trailer. These tires stand out above the rest in that there has been not one speck of tread chipping after all these miles
    wet roads: solid. No problems with hydroplaning
    ride: Stiff, but great on the highway. Again 10 ply on a regular cab so I knew it would be stiff.
    Noise: Not bad till after 70 k. they have a decent hum to them now. You can tell they are an AT but the whine is not much at highway speed.

Over all, this is the best AT tire I have run for over all performance and for me most important longevity it has beat out what I have use in the past including the duratrack, AT2, BFG AT, cooper anything short of a full mud tire, toyo at's

I broke down and ran studded snow tires this winter because the Hankooks were so hard and stiff it was like hockey pucks. glad I did, we got over three hundred inches of snow here in the mountains. The Hankooks are back on now and I plan to run them for this summer, toss in one more season of work on the road and getting fire wood I suspect they will be toast, the tires I suspect will take me to 80 K in the next few months and I think I will be getting the same thing the next time around.

I would recommend these for the great price and for how long they last, and for how good they really are to any one who is looking for a solid AT.

Cheers,

2. May 7, 2016 at 8:53 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Huh , I find the ATms are terrible in our wet snow

3. May 7, 2016 at 9:00 PM
    Syvi

Syvi Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tone
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2004 Mystic Metallic Blue Tacoma 3.4L TRD Preunner
    I had them on my truck for a few thousand miles and they hold up great. Glad they are treating you well.

4. May 7, 2016 at 9:06 PM
    danthaman

danthaman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    San Ramon, CA
    Vehicle:
    1999 Xtracab V6 TRD 4x4
    OME 882 W/Dakar+AAL 285/75 Dynapro ATM
    Great review, I really wanted to get the BFG KO2'S but I found a set of the Dynapro's in 285/75/16 for $650 from Discount Tire on eBay (Compared to $900-1k for the KO2's). Should be getting em next week!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    thebaker likes this.
  5. May 7, 2016 at 11:24 PM
    cdthiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    WAY north Idaho
    Vehicle:
    They for sure work better in the light stuff that I get where I live now. However when I lived much further north ( north of Sandpoint Idaho) near the border with Canada I lived about three miles off the closest paved road. My road was more of a goat path then a road and it was all privately plowed by some gents with tractors.
    it normally went something like some ones was always broken or out of gas or what not so plowing was pretty poor.
    slogged through went heavy crap all winter no problems.

Of course... the only time I have been stuck in this truck ? Wet heavy snow. But those three times were all off road in places where it was so deep I high centered.

YMMV. I also run over five hunded pounds in the back of my truck between the topper, sand bags, tools and gear in the winter.
    In my truck since it is so light that makes them really claw through most things.

I have run just about every one of the big tires out there that people talk. Most of them were on fleet tundras in high desert of Utah. Think oil fields before the boom when it was all dirt roads and now snow plows. These trucks were also loaded down with supplies tools and often times water for delivery and those rocky roads were real testing grounds. No matter what tire we ran a 8 months to perhaps a year was all we could get out of a set. It was a great chance to see a lot of tires in a short amount of time.

For and all around tire that can handle it all, the Danapro ATM for me is the way to go.
    Sure there are tires out there that a better at one thing or another. The only thing that really this tire is not great at is greasey mud.
    If I had to pick a second choice it would be the Wild County XTX Sport. Fantastic in the snow. Made by dean tires ( I think) Sold through Les Schawb. Also had a set of those on my 4 runner. I think it is a better tire ( in terms of performance), but the rubber is so soft it does not last very long. Hence the second place. They also cost more.

Hankook in general, I have been very pleased with. I have had three sets of their studded snow tires on two cars and one truck, I have had one set of their AT's ( current tires) and I had a set of their MT's on my 4runner.
    Price point, and tread life I think will have me replacing these with the same.

I am however keeping an eye on the cooper ATW. Supposed to be really awesome.

6. May 8, 2016 at 1:13 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My Hankook MTs were better in our coastal snow than the ATms , next time I'll likely get the KO2 as they are snowflake rated which makes me legal here in winter

7. May 8, 2016 at 11:54 AM
    Tiedie

Tiedie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    WFOY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 V6
    Katzkin, Dobinsons full suspension. Redlinegoods console cover and door panel arm rests, Double USB charger in dash installed, Ballistic Jesters 16x8. BlackVue DR 590 Dash Cam
    52000 plus miles on mine. And 4/32 left on them. getting another set along with Ballistic Jesters 16x8 with 265/75/16 Hankooks.

8. May 8, 2016 at 3:35 PM
    karmatp

karmatp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner
    Tim, you sound like a bad ass mountain man

9. May 8, 2016 at 8:50 PM
    cdthiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    WAY north Idaho
    Vehicle:
    My Hankook MT's were for sure better in the wet, but they were on the 4runner when we bought them and sorta beat up. Would have like to get a shot at them brand new vs at the 50 percent tread life when we had them. They sadly suffered a side wall hole and off they went.

My only real experience with true coastal snow has been the passes by Seattle. Sandpoint was a solid seven hours further east firly in the " Inland northwest" While I think of it as wet and heavy, it was not in comparison to say stevens pass or the like.
    The Tires still seemed to do fine, or at least as fine as you can in rutted up crap on the highways before the plows come through.

The real problems I had with the Hankook MT's was in the noise department and on the hard packed snow. Just not enough sipping to do much for me.

I would like to try the Ko2's, but I do so much driving in general, I am afraid that I would roast through them too quickly. Also, with the four banger, I can make a few dollars off my work fuel stipend since I get decent MPG ( summer 22-23 depending on speed on the highway winter 19 all around)
    I would like more tire for all the time I do spend off pavement getting fuel for my house to heat in the winter, but it is the other 20k a year that I put on my truck on pavement.

10. May 9, 2016 at 10:37 PM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    99’ Bro-Coma’s Revenge 3RZ 345k+
    Stock
    I love my new Hankook ATMs! Granted I only have 300 miles on them, but they handle the wet windy mountain roads very well, and they are silent! Two of them took quite a bit to balance, but America's Tire said they balanced perfect.

I'm guessing I'm going to lose about 2mpg by going up in size. 2.7L pulls them fine.

265/75r16 compared to stock 245/75r16's
    [​IMG]

63.7lbs, I'd say is pretty good.
    [​IMG]

White walls out FTW!

[​IMG]

Roddy13 and Greenbean like this.
  11. May 11, 2016 at 9:19 PM
    cdthiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    WAY north Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Those 265's look good on the truck. Thanks for posting them up.

Any idea on MPG lost yet? I have often thought about moving up to that size, I really do not need it based on what I use my truck for. Not to mention 2mpg loss over 25-30k a year driven adds up. I could live with one perhaps 2 but anything more would be a higher loss then reward sort of deal.

12. May 15, 2016 at 9:29 AM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    I was averaging 22.4 stock fuelly 8 tanks (lots of mountain roads and Bay Area commute). I used the calculator and found that the tires are 4.1% taller, have 4.1% fewer rotations per mile so I should be getting 4.1% more miles than the odometer reads, correct?

First tank with new tires I got adjusted mpg 21.7. Mostly mountain and about 70 miles of 70mph highway.

Second tank I got adjusted 21 even. Mostly highway 75-80mph. I'm thinking the 2.7 doesn't like much more than 70mph. I honestly was expecting like 24mpg. On flat ground the larger tires are hardly noticeable, but in the hills you feel them.

I'm still over 21 so I'm happy, I'll have to see how it averages out. It's probably the mountains where it's costing me the most mpg's.

13. May 18, 2016 at 11:39 PM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    I've got 265/75 -16 Hankook ATM's mounted on stock alumimun 5 spokes on my 2002 double cab , have maybe no more than 300 miles on them and now getting ready to install a set of 265/75-16 BFG Mud Terrain KM2's that will be mounted on Method #301's

Never really liked theDyno pro ATM's but the salesman at Discount tire recommended them for my truck . Going to possibly list the Hankook's and stock wheels on Craigslist and see if I can get some money back

Can't wait to see how my truck looks with the Method Racing wheels and KM2's

14. Jan 6, 2017 at 1:46 AM
    Emilio13

Emilio13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Emilio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red Tacoma SR
    Did you need a leveling kit to fit the 265's?

15. Jan 6, 2017 at 10:28 AM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    I'm almost positive you don't need it to fit them, but I did install a leveling kit at these same time.

16. Jan 7, 2017 at 9:31 AM
    Emilio13

Emilio13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Emilio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red Tacoma SR
    What size leveling kit did you get?

17. Jan 7, 2017 at 3:17 PM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    2nd gen 5100's set at 0 with 885's rear 1" blocks and 5100's.

Products Discussed in

To Top