1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Happy Owners?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by tacomajerad, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Nov 7, 2018 at 3:04 PM
    Dkurtz42

Dkurtz42 Bill Hwang

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Barberton, OH
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    - Gator ETX Soft Roll Up Tonneau - Clazzio black leather seats - Nitto Ridge Grappler 255 80 17 tires - Supreme Suspensions 2" and 1" lift
    Job, wife, kids, mortgage, health care bills, in-laws, Trump. Some good some bad, but my big blue beast puts a smile on my face every time I step into the garage or head towards her in the parking lot. If a man’s truck doesn’t bring some happiness to them I feel sorry for you.

2. Nov 7, 2018 at 3:37 PM
    Scotty Dosent Know

Scotty Dosent Know Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB
    There are things I like about the truck and things I dont.

Things I like:
    Looks, off road capability, utility, reliability, re sale value, MPG (averaging consistent 20mpg)

Things I dont like:
    - The motor.....it sucks in a truck. Power in high RPMs is something I want in a sports car, not a truck. Toyota failed on the power band of this motor IMO. The motor literally makes me dislike driving the truck more than anything. Highway driving is a pain, keeping highway speeds feels like a chore. Motor screams when trying to get power out of the truck. Going over the mountain passes with my small aluminum boat, gear and wife sucks. Usually worst part of the trip. Also the motor is just LOUD. Just sitting there idling its loud. Drive through workers constantly cant hear me over the clatter/noise of the motor. I honesty dont even mind the transmission which many complain about.

- Interior Quality. I feel like for $40K there is no reason for this interior quality and lack of features. I had an 11' Jetta and it was really nice inside, much nicer than our 17' truck. The Tacoma feels plasticy, everything scratches easily and for the price its super basic. The gauge cluster dimmer....seriously I have to reach through the steering wheel and twist the little reset knob.....but your gong to install blank switch plates. WTF is with the volume/channel buttons on the steering wheel?? Who ever thought volume up/down should be left/right should be kicked. "Hey can you turn the volume.....left?" Also I have the nicer head unit but no JBL package, the speakers are absolute garbage. I replaced them for $200 with Kicker components which made it sound how it probably should have came in the first place.

With that said I didnt want this truck, my wife did and its her daily driver. I end up driving it quite a lot though. Around the first of the year we will be selling it for something with better interior quality, better comfort, more features, smoother motor with better torque while still maintaining off road capability. Will be getting a GX470.....10 years older but nicer/better built imo. We have liked the truck dont get me wrong but I think the GX fits the bill better for our needs with out having a car payment to boot.

3. Nov 7, 2018 at 3:46 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Respectfully, your post has nothing to do with the truck and everything to do with picking the wrong vehicle. Good luck with the loaded Lexus SUV with a V8. Those are great vehicles if you can stand the barn door rear access.

picturethis and decaustin like this.
  4. Nov 7, 2018 at 3:46 PM
    MattEcho

MattEcho Optimist

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tacoma TRDOR DCSB AT (non-JBL Tech)
    Had it for 2 years and 22k miles and really enjoy it. I think it’s because of the modding possibilities more than anything. Except for the engine, I agree with what Scotty wrote and tbh doesn’t really bother me. Re: the engine, I think that the issue is more the computer and/or tranny. I’ve towed in ECT mode and it’s been just fine, but I know we each have our own situations.

5. Nov 7, 2018 at 3:56 PM
    TD90S

TD90S Cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 TRDOR 6MT
    I didn’t say is doesn’t. Just saying I’m not looking for it to be my sole provider of happiness.
    Thats some of the problem, people buy shit expecting it to be perfect or make them happy....and when it’s not or doesn’t....they are unhappy.
    My happiness comes from making it better and the adventures it takes me on!

6. Nov 7, 2018 at 3:59 PM
    basshole

basshole Well-Known Member

Member:
    chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR MT
    Loving my 18 OR manual trans. I've never owned a manual truck, it's a blast.

Really my only complaint would be throttle response from the drive by wire. It's just dumb ass slow.. Especially when rev matching gears. Plus 2nd gear lugs a bit here and there.

Most these guys will complain about power. Well it has power, up in the revs. High revs + manual trans makes this a nice sport truck for me.

The best features I love about this truck is the lack of features. I'm tired of all these new vehicles filled with electronic crap. I can still turn an ignition and radio/hvac knobs :D

ATC Taco likes this.
  7. Nov 7, 2018 at 4:06 PM
    Scotty Dosent Know

Scotty Dosent Know Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB

This could be said for everyone that ends up buying a vehicle they dont like. When we bought the truck our choices for a small pickup truck were pretty limited. The Frontier is super outdated and Chevy reliability is a gamble at best. That left the Tacoma so we gave it a shot. Just realized I would rather have an SUV and utility trailer than the Tacoma.

The barn door will be my biggest gripe when I know they are based on the 4Runner platform which got the roll down rear window and swing up hatch lol

8. Nov 7, 2018 at 4:13 PM
    oconnor

oconnor Where am I?

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport 4x4 AC 6MT/ '04 TJ Rubicon
    3rd Tacoma and I like it.
    This thread has gone better than expected.

decaustin and Sum1 Else like this.
  9. Nov 7, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    LTG4087

LTG4087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LT
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    Like mine pretty much. Could it be better? sure. But I've never owned a vehicle that I could say everything is perfect and I wouldn't change a thing. My prior vehicle was a 2012 PreRunner and before that a 4-Runner so I pretty much knew what I was in for with Toyota. I drove it, liked it and put down my cash.

I could possibly see myself in a SUV at some point but I do enjoy a truck. I've looked at alternatives in this size class and there's nothing that moves me.

Sum1 Else likes this.
  10. Nov 7, 2018 at 4:28 PM
    eMKay

eMKay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue DCOR 6MT
    Pro Grill, roof rack, HID headlights, yellow fogs, LED high beams, trailer brake controller
    It’s common across all makes, all models. The forum for the current generation will be full of complaints mostly about nothing. You have to sift through a lot of garbage to find the good info.

Sum1 Else likes this.
  11. Nov 7, 2018 at 4:31 PM
    jerryb1984

jerryb1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OFF ROAD
    16x8 FUEL BEAST 265 75 16 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3 Tyger step sides 20% tint front to match factory tint bilstein 5100s on third notch PRO grill
    Overall like the truck and love the soft suspension. The trans I’m not a huge fan of. Only 1200 miles so maybe it will “learn” or tsb may eventually help, but the lack of ability to hold a gear when driving down the freeway at 70 is strange to say the least. I’ve found driving in s mode and locking out 6th if I’m 72 or less I like better. I think for the truck to have a chance of holding 6th you’d have to go around 80 or being going on the flattest of roads.

12. Nov 7, 2018 at 4:56 PM
    USPfan

USPfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    North of 60th paralell
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    I bought my truck in September as well, but put a deposit on it in July. During that time, I gotta say the complaints thread have been helpful. Kept me on my toes for things to look out for, possible issues during my numerous test drives. Entune, trans, locking e brake, door rust, etc etc.

In the end I was able to say, "yup, I want this truck." Now I have no reason to complain, because I bought it 100% aware of most "issues" that exist - thanks to Tacomaworld.

Negative threads have their place, its just up to you how you react to them.

Sum1 Else likes this.
  13. Nov 7, 2018 at 5:02 PM
    Zion

Zion Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Cement 2018 TRD Sport
    Love my truck. No complaints that I wasn't aware of from the testdrives.

99% of the complaints I see on here are from people whom I swear did not test drive

14. Nov 7, 2018 at 5:13 PM
    DETaco17

DETaco17 Retired

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 MGM Tacoma OR DCSB
    Not too much
    That ^^^^^

First world problems. Enjoy your taco or leave it. Life’s too F’ing short and no vehicle is perfect. Vehicles can only ever approach perfection. Love your family first. rest will fall into place.
    Sorry for the rant..64 years on this planet gives a little different perspective.

Rockefelluh, decaustin, TD90S and 4 others like this.
  15. Nov 7, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    daddy_o

daddy_o Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bossier City, La
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport, Inferno, w/tech package
    Factory Blackout package, Soft roll up bed cover, Cheap seat covers, Front and rear dash cam, AVS in channel vent visors
    I have only had my truck for just over a week now, but it seems like its going to be a good one.
    I have the TRD Sport and I like how it compares to my Bike(Honda CBR).

I love the Sport suspension how it hugs the curves.
    I love to hear the engine hum and get it up in the higher Rpm ranges. It may not help on gas mileage but I enjoy where the power is in this engine.:crazy:

The one thing I dont like, and its not really a complaint because obviously I knew this going in, but my 2005 dakota had a power driver seat, It would be nice to have height adjustment.

16. Nov 7, 2018 at 5:22 PM
    btaco623

btaco623 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR
    Hood Blackout, 5100,LED Low's, SuperSprings
    Mixed feelings here..love the concept
    of my truck..but have had a ton of quality issues. Luck of the draw there I guess. If I had zero, or 1-2 minor issues with it..I have no doubt that I would absolutely love it. But the quality issues combined with the customer experience associated with them has soured my opinion. In spite of all that, I still wouldn’t trade it for any other mid-size. The aftermarket support, community, design and capabilities are the best out there hands down imo.

Sum1 Else likes this.
  17. Nov 7, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    Dkurtz42

Dkurtz42 Bill Hwang

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Barberton, OH
    Vehicle:
    - Gator ETX Soft Roll Up Tonneau - Clazzio black leather seats - Nitto Ridge Grappler 255 80 17 tires - Supreme Suspensions 2" and 1" lift
    Uhhh. What?

TD90S likes this.
  18. Nov 7, 2018 at 5:24 PM
    Sum1 Else

Sum1 Else Well-Known Member

Member:
    2018 Limited 4x4. 900 miles, purchased last week of September. No complaints, 3rd
    Tacoma and 7th Toyota.
    I am a loyal Toyota customer.
    No problems, nuff said.

DETaco17 likes this.
  19. Nov 7, 2018 at 5:24 PM
    daddy_o

daddy_o Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bossier City, La
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport, Inferno, w/tech package
    Factory Blackout package, Soft roll up bed cover, Cheap seat covers, Front and rear dash cam, AVS in channel vent visors
    The handling and the high rpm range for torque. Make that engine scream and you will feel the things most people are missing.

20. Nov 7, 2018 at 5:26 PM
    Dkurtz42

Dkurtz42 Bill Hwang

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Barberton, OH
    Vehicle:
    Not to derail...which CBR?

Products Discussed in

To Top