1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard time getting adjusted to a Truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GTVAPSAMTIK, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Oct 15, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    X2!!

To the OP, good luck with that. Get out and drive! :)

2. Oct 15, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Go somewhere you couldn't in a car. Then you will appreciate it much better. How did you feel when you bought it? Why did you buy a truck?

3. Oct 15, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    ya go somewhere you cant with a car or fill the box with something that you couldnt put in a car, then you will feel satisfied

4. Oct 15, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    GTVAPSAMTIK

GTVAPSAMTIK [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SOHAIL
    Fort Carson, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 Automatic
    EXTANG Tuff WeatherTech Liners Toyota Bed Mat Coverkind Seat Covers
    Thanks guyz , Ive never owned anything other then a Accord v6 or Civic Si before. I just really miss the feel of driving a car. I never had to worry about those cars breaking down or maintenance. And even if they break down repairs were cheap. Also my 4x4 TRD Off Road have more stuff packed in it then non TRD thus it will demand higher maintenance in couple of years.

5. Oct 15, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    not a whole lot more stuff packed in it thats going to require maintenance, it basically comes with parts that are better than the parts on the non trd, plus little things like ac outlet

6. Oct 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme

So not true. just regular maintenance and tune ups that's about all it needs. I had an 08 Sentra SE-R SpecV and couldn't wait to trade it in! Liked the car, loved the truck!

Again, why did you buy a truck if you like cars?

7. Oct 15, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    GTVAPSAMTIK

Member:
    First Name:
    SOHAIL
    Fort Carson, CO
    Vehicle:
    I really liked the truck when I test drove both TRD Sports and Off Road at Toyota. Now Ive spend few days with it and dont feel like the need of a truck. I could have survived with a low maintenance car.

On 19th of sep09 I sold my 2008 CIVIC SI with 6200 miles on it and purchased a 2003 mustang gt with 102K miles on it. Then end up trading mustang after 17 days, took a loan of 28k from the bank and went out bought a new truck.

I am not sure how good tacomas are when it comes to maintenance especially when they get old like (100k+ miles). Now if I try to sell it, I will take a loss of about $ 4k or about.

8. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    You better keep it for a year otherwise you are just throwing away money. Value should not go down to much next year considering you will be selling a 2010 in 2010:cool:. If you want to sell it today I will buy it for a 4k discount.

9. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    doingfinein09

doingfinein09 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    So Cal LA/OC
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Standard Cab PreRunner
    AVS Ventvisors, Wheelskin, GT Covers, Extra-HD self-designed electric tailgate lock...
    Keep it! Drive it! Use it!

I have a Civic with a JDM engine, 220k miles, and still runs strong. And while it's a blast to drive, there are many things that you don't have to worry about in a Taco.

Like: potholes, speedbumps, driveways, puddles, plastic bags/road debris, cargo space, dirt roads, etc. etc. etc.

I've only been in the Taco for 2 months, but there's no way I would trade back now. The height and being off the ground, being able to see past the car in front, no HID's blinding me in the rearview mirrors, and knowing there really isn't anywhere I can't go are pretty good reasons.

Maintenance is not an issue of concern with one of, if not the most reliable brand.

Remember those commercials with the real people's stories of their Toyotas? Hi-Lux, Cellicas, and other models claiming they have a brazillion miles on the odometer?

This Taco and me are gonna be in the next one!\

Oh yeah I forgot, is anyone interested in buying a Civic cheap? I need the garage for the Taco! :p

10. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    GTVAPSAMTIK

Member:
    First Name:
    SOHAIL
    Fort Carson, CO
    Vehicle:

11. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:39 PM
    gcwaterski

gcwaterski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bro! C'mon! Number one- lighten up, you're amongst friends! Number two- If you are commenting on intelligence PLEASE proof read and don't make grammatical errors! LOL Just messing with ya.:)

12. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    aces2

aces2 Senior Arshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 RR AC 4x4
    Flowmaster 40, K&N CAI, RED brake light bulbs, BHLM, Rear dif breather line, Factory Skidplate painted BLACK, DRL's, YELLOW bulbs in Fogs Turn Signals and Marker lights, Custom "Toy Machine" center emblem, Sockmonkey "Nor-Cal" decals all BLACK, Redline tailgate damper and hood sruts, Painted steering wheel emblem BLACK, 12V always on, Foglight mod, 16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims BLACK powdercoated acorn lugnuts, BFG KM2's 285-75-16, Painted exhaust pipe BLACK, BLACK emblems all the way around, Rear BLACK bumper from base model, Radical RED "sport" grille-surround, Factory Toyota Bed extender, RED maglight mounted on each seat's side, TRD ball-type shift knob, Custom mounted Scangauge II under stereo, Aftermarket HU, Hardwired Garmin GPS 260W, TSB w/AAL and 2.5" 5100's, Weathertech floor liners, Removed front mud flaps, 95-04 "4WD" rear mudflaps, 3rd Brake light "TACO", BLACK front lip
    ^Ken doll to the rescue!

13. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    I sold my civic and I really don't "need" a truck either. But boy do I LOVE it!! Rides great, lots of power, looks very cool, great for the winter and I can haul stuff with it instead of borrowing my friends Chev.

Cheers.

14. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    If you can't adjust to your TRUCK, I don't know what to tell you. Why did you even buy a TACO then? Everyone is not made or meant for a truck. Me personally, I can't imagine not having a Truck in my Arsenal of Vehicles.

I came from a 03 AP2 Honda S2000 & 03 Honda Civic SI Hatch. I love both those cars and miss them dearly. They were modded crazy and fun cars. However, and I mean However. I "LOVE" my Tacoma and wouldn't go back to a Daily Driver Honda.

I'm however looking for a 01 or 02 Honda S2000 right now as a weekend project car.

If you can't adjust to the Tacoma. I'm real sorry to tell you that you'll never drive a truck. The Tacoma is one of the best out there. I'm sorry you shelled out that much $$$ on the Taco. If you trade it in or sell it. You're only bending over as you'll lose a lot of money.

Give it more time and you'll learn to love it. I got use to my truck in a week and loved it on my first test drive! :D

15. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Off Road 4X4
    Stock
    You might want to get a handle on the English language first.

:) Chill out, he was kidding.:)

16. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    Frogdaddy

Frogdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Pioneer MVH-p8200 hu with XM receiver using TSS supplied shark fin cable, Mud Flap cut mod.
    I totalled my 07' honda fit a month ago. I'll be getting use to a tacoma real quick.
    I'm over skateboard/go-cart gas savers. You can keep all those civics and such. I'll pay more in gas any day just to get a little lift and security.

17. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Southern California. Fountain Valley
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    Toytec Coilover kit. Bilstein's 5100. Alcoa Wheels. General Tires. Magnaflow Cat-back. BLHM. Yellow fogs. 13TW5 jl sub. Stewart Decals.
    exactly +1

18. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Go test drive ,say ,a dodge ram crew/mega cab with an 8 foot bed. Do this for all three brands. Get in you Tacoma and aske yourself the question all over. Beter yet a duramaxx 4500 medium chassis truck.

19. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Glad to see you're ok man, but those cars are so small I wouldn't even think about buying one. How did it hold up in the accident ? You won't be disappointed with the Tacoma.

20. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I just traded in my 2007 Honda Civic Coupe. To be honest with you, I miss being Able to take 90 degree turns at 40MPH withou having to worry. I miss the way the car hugged the road. And I miss the 37MPG I got.

That's where your lifestyle comes into play though. I got my truck bc I love the outdoors and often missed out on many things bc my civic couldn't get to places a truck could. I love my Taco and don't regret trading my little car in. From your story, it sounds like you just made an impulse buy bc you were unhappy with the mustang you had. It may take time to discover the amazingness of your truck, or your lifestyle may never allow for it. In wither case, I hope you end up happy in the end and that everything works out.

Products Discussed in

To Top