1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard to accelerate with wheel fully turned from park after switching to 4x4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sage07, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jan 25, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    Rucas

Rucas 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    bump.

:)

2. Jan 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Why do people try to use 4x4 on pavement? Seriously, I've never understood it. What actually makes someone think putting their truck in 4LO and then driving around on the pavement is a good idea.

3. Jan 25, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Have a buddy with a grand Cherokee, he use to throw it in 4x4 way to often on dry pavement. I have been in it when he threw it into a corner way to fast in 4x4 and it never had a issue. It was stupid yes but when he sold it with over 200k on it and never blew a transfer case or a diff. He said it made it corner better, like I said it was stupid but never broke anything. I did see the post here with a cracked t case from a grand and can't believe his never blew. Now engine, well thats a different story.

4. Jan 25, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Oh okay I get where we was going with that:eek:

I'm a law student... what are circles?

5. Jan 25, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    GeoTaco1

GeoTaco1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    NEW Toyo TIRES Bed Cage to hold 120 LBS of sand and fishing rod holder, window air deflectors, Bug Deflector, & finally Avid Light Bar and step rails....
    Most SUVs are really AWD, although most people think they are the same as 4WD. Like the ridgeline for example, they are trying to sell it as a 4WD but it is an AWD. I have a Jeep Commander, it is not a true 4WD it is an AWD, but I can hold/lock the rear differential.

I guess even in heavy rain, 2WD is safer.

I plan to use 4WD HI in heavy snow and sand only. I guess we should not even drive it on 4WD HI on the highway (high speed), even during a snow storm? Does anyone drive it in 4WD Hi on the highway?

6. Jan 25, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    4WD high is great for driving on snow/ice covered roads but in those conditions your going to be driving safely and hopefully under the posted speed limits. It's still a good idea not to make your turns too sharp and get back into 2WD when in tight areas like parking lots.

7. Jan 25, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Oh god i think I just cried and puked; hopefully OPs is good

All the time in the mountains in CO when the snow is packed on the road and you can't see pavement. Mostly just for traction to go uphill, not like the jackasses with their AWD audis that think they're invisible.

OP you learned a lesson. Hopefully upon hearing this clunk you didn't try to max out and get rid of it by doing it more.

8. Jan 25, 2011 at 9:50 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    You mean loopholes?:D

9. Jan 25, 2011 at 9:51 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    Wow, its like watching a squid go and buy a Hayabusa and kill himself.

10. Jan 25, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    I drive in 4HI on the roads when it snows down here (It isn't that often, but it does happen). Never had any problems. With all the hills around here, if you're not in 4 wheel dig you won't make it up em. It's fine on snow covered roads, but if you have to go full lock for a tight turn, it's best to switch back into 2wd. That's the good thing about on the fly 4wd...easy to switch when ya need it.

Edit: I Mainly posted this just to sub to this thread...wanna see where it goes...

:popcorn:

11. Jan 25, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...

I've heard the rumors of this story, now I've read it for myself!

My side is still hurting :rofl:

12. Jan 25, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    sly

sly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 SWB TRD Sport
    lol, i dont know what to say here, read the owners manual, its probably the first thing it says under "when in 4x4"

13. Jan 25, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    "Hard to accelerate with wheel fully turned from park after switching to 4x4"

This is like the guy who goes to the doctor and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this"

Answer: DON'T DO THAT lol, lol, lol!

14. Jan 25, 2011 at 11:53 PM
    jason smith

jason smith loblk08taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    08 sr5 2wd 5sp 2.7
    flowmaster 40 series orig flo, cold air intake,painted headlights.Trex eyelids, xrunner wheels, street tacos 3"drop rear, djm 3" drop front
    all the tires are locked together and are trying to go the same speed, it puts everything in a bind,i know somebody who dropped a front driveshaft doing that

15. Jan 26, 2011 at 3:31 AM
    Sage07

Sage07 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    BOSTON MASS
    Thanks all. Didn't get a chance to read the postings until now. I did it on wet snow, since its been snowing like crazy up here in Boston. How can I tell if I damage anything? Car seems to run fine after switching back to H2.

I can use H4 mode only in mud or when there's wheel slippage, such as in snowy conditions on highways?

16. Jan 26, 2011 at 3:57 AM
    LivianInt

LivianInt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad 6-Speed Manual
    Undercover SE, OEM Bed mat, OEM Bed extender, Fog Lights any time mod, Garage door remote switched by high beams, ScanGauge II on Blendmount, Dome/Map Lights Mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Redline gas hood struts, CBI front hitch receiver, Warn 9000i Winch, Lockable Rattle Proof Hitch Pin, All-Pro Bolt on Sliders, Front and Rear Power Quick Connectors, Rear Spring TSB,
    Everyone has driven their 4x4 on dry pavement once or twice without damaging but it is important to understand what you are doing. Many of the posts talked about binding. The simplest explanation is that the outside wheel in the turn has to turn faster (bigger circle) than the inside wheel to keep up but they are directly tied together by the differential making them turn the same speed. This is what makes the wheels hop and the grinding noise.

Even wet pavement, snow, etc. is not sufficient slippage to eliminate this and is not recommended unless you are going straight (wheels going same speed). It is better to drive in 2WD if you have to turn but H4 is OK if driving straight down the road.

You are probably fine.... Put in 4H while driving on any surface, just keep it straight. If want to check it turned, get it in some mud.
    Rod

17. Jan 26, 2011 at 4:13 AM
    GeoTaco1

GeoTaco1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    NEW Toyo TIRES Bed Cage to hold 120 LBS of sand and fishing rod holder, window air deflectors, Bug Deflector, & finally Avid Light Bar and step rails....
    Has anyone had any issues switching between 2WD and 4WD at highway speeds? Is it ok to go between 2WD to 4WD while driving over 50 MPH? I guess going from 4WD to 2WD should be ok.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    I am confused about the TRAC / LSD; if in 2 WD and one rear wheel slips, does the TRAC control all 4 or just the 2 powered wheel? It uses engine and break controls to slow down the wheel that slips. Does it use break control on the 2 front wheels too? or it can apply break control to one wheel only?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    My driving plan of action was: (please comment if I am off):

2WD all the time except:

4H: Snow on the road or icy road (is there a speed limit to drive in 4WD?)
    4H: Driving on sand, or mud
    4H: Going up/down a hill in slippery conditions(rain or snow)
    2L: with locked differential driving on a hill in sand at low speeds
    2L: with locked differential if stuck in sand

Any other suggestions?

18. Jan 26, 2011 at 4:19 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
  19. Jan 26, 2011 at 4:25 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    First of all, come down to the Cape so I can slap you upside the head! Afterwards. drive it in 4WD on a STRAIGHT ROAD, and KEEP IT STRAIGHT. If you hear bad sounds then you screwed up your T-case. If not then you're probably fine. It still takes quite a bit to actually break your T-case, but you will wanna make sure. With the 6+ inches you should be getting tonight, you will know if you broke it or not. Feel free to drive in 4 with that stuff!

20. Jan 26, 2011 at 4:44 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    ^^^ what he said. At least I sure hope so with Tacoma's.

I was always forgetting I had it in 4x4 in my Rodeo and Trooper before that. I put 130K plus on each of them... lots of of 4x4 action in NM mountain snows transitioning in and out of hard pack dirt...then paved...then 20 miles later turning in to a store and OH CRAP I forgot!

I never really worried about it though...just put back in 4x2 when I felt the binding. I hope Toyota's are as forgiving as Isuzu's. They were pretty much bullet proof, except for the crappy GM accessories (like power steering pumps and alternators) that were always giving problems.

Products Discussed in

To Top