1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard to get into 1st

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Max-4_Yota, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mar 4, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    An alternative to the pump is to remove the shifter and fill through the top of the tranny. It's cleaner but you have a few more things to remove to access it.

2. Mar 4, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    About the pumps: Some are made for quarts, some for gallons, some for both. I found a pump that works with quarts & gallons at Advance I think. I've yet to actually buy the fluids to try it out though (want to change all of em, which is about $100 worth of oils :()

3. Mar 4, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!

Won't work with the Redline. Stupid design on the bottle. But damn good lube so we will forgive them.

4. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    My pump looks like a huge syringe. I just take the end off and fill it.

5. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    That sucks. However, yours is a different truck with a different engine and a different transmission than the OP's 1st gen, so the 6-year-later thing bridges essentially two different trucks. But yes, if you're point is that one would think the illustrious Toyota engineers would have mastered low-end gears and manual transmissions by, say, the beginning of this decade, since they've been making them for what, 60 years? It seems that they shouldn't worry about backup cameras until they master the transmission with all the technology available in the new millennium....

6. Mar 4, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    [quote="OldManTan";1500297]Won't work with the Redline. Stupid design on the bottle. But damn good lube so we will forgive them.[/quote]
    Yeah, that was one of my points. I go to stick the pump in the bottle and, uh, NFW, WTF? So I used a utility knife to cut off a bunch of the bottle's neck. So that worked OK with the pump as long as I was careful to keep it upright, becasue obviously it would not screw on tight (well, at all). I also had some extra tubing stuff around to adapt the pump to reach the bottom of short (MT90) or taller (Valvoline gear oil) bottles.

But I was doing all this crap with bad tendonitits in my right arm, so every little extra step was a huge pain in the...arm. And you know what it is like under the truck if you don't have it up on jackstands...trying to do everything with your left arm...yippee.

Thanks god the difference in shifting was noticeable immediately, and worth the stupid bottle design...thanks to those TW posters who recommended it!:D

Maybe we need to start a customer feedback thread: Redline Oil Bottles Suck!

Products Discussed in

To Top