1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard to start when cold

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Tmanspd123, Apr 14, 2012.

1. May 26, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    Tmanspd123

Tmanspd123 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Just an update I know it's been awhile I had to have my appendix taken out so I was out of it for a couple weeks. This weekend I decided to change a few things. I changed the distributer cap and rotor and also spark plugs and wires. This didn't help the staring problem but did of corse make it run a little better. I then decided to go ahead and change the fuel pump. I took the old one out and found the rubber hose going from the pump to fuel line was completely rotted and falling apart. At that point I realized this was probably going to fix the problem. I put all the new hardware and pump on and put it back together. Turned the key on and it started the first time. Then took it for a drive and it runs like a brand new truck. I'm so happy to finally solve the problem I thought I'd share with y'all. Thanks again for all the input and help I believe the things y'all told me to do also helped it to run better.

Side note: I lifted the bed to change the fuel pump rather than dropping the tank and it was much easier than other pumps I've changed.

2. May 26, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    Tmanspd123

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338090740.394150.jpg

Here's a pic of the hose I was talking about just to add. Also I found that one of the plug wires was rotted and came apart pretty much when I touched it.

3. May 27, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Thanx for the writeup on the solution. Nice to see what was really causing the problem, for future reference. Thats what this forum is all about.

I'm surprised that there was a rubber line down there. I've never replaced an EFI pump, and I assumed it would be all hard lines. I wonder if ethanol in the gas gradually ate away the rubber.

Do you think that rubber line was stock? I didn't think they used that style of hose clamps from the factory.

4. May 27, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    Tmanspd123

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I thought the same about the ethanol gas. I don't use it any more luckily there is many gas stations around the town I live that sell gas without ethanol. It didnt appear to be stock but the replacement had the same rubber line to replace it.

5. May 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    Tmanspd123

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Just another add on. I also changed my pinion seal last weekend because my rear end was leaking gear oil. It was very easy with help from this forum and YouTube. While I was at it I also change my u joints on both ends of the drive shaft which I had a friend of mine with the proper tools to do it for me.

6. May 28, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    CrutchfieldDarren

CrutchfieldDarren Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Those rubber lines are stock, and yes ethanol kills em. same thing happens to lawn mowers and such with rubber lines and fuel diaphragms.

From my understanding that's what sets a flex fuel vehicle apart is the absence of rubber lines ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top