1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hardrock off-road April trip

Discussion in 'Florida' started by allenfab, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Apr 24, 2017 at 1:25 PM
    Taco No Baka

Taco No Baka Interco Tire Snob

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD V6 Spartan Package
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    @allenfab Just out of curiosity, Todd, how many miles did you put on them? I've got about 5.3k (since September of 2013) on my LTBs and they aren't even close to 50% and Intercos are notorious for wearing down fast.

2. Apr 24, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    allenfab

allenfab [OP] I hate everything

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    I've honestly put about the same amount on mine since I bought them. I bought these used though so they already had some wear on them

3. Apr 24, 2017 at 2:51 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" lift with Dakar rear leaves and 883 front coils. 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL/SXs on Pro Comp Series 97 15x8 Steelies, Bud Built Front Skid, 4xI rock sliders, 4.88s and an Eaton True Trac LSD up front, 4.88s and a Detroit Locker in the rear, LED cab clearance lights, Sway Bar Delete, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Autometer Monster Tach, Cobra 25LTD Classic, Roof-mounted 3' Firestik Firefly, Garmin GPS, HiLift Jack, Flush-mount LED pod lights in rear bumper, 28" light bar in the front bumper, rear shock relocation (Ruff Stuff brackets), u-bolt flip with Ruff Stuff Anti-wrap perches, CBI rear frame reinforcements, 10" travel Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, heavy duty front crossmember made by Allenfab, Rear shock mounts/crossmember (for upper mounts), spring perches, frame plates, and front crossmember welded in by Allenfab, CBI Ditch Light Brackets, Ditch Light Pods. AllenFab Custom Hybrid front bumper and recovery points. Drivetrain lifted 2" in conjunction with a 2" BL. Modified Trail Gear transmission crossmember/skid. Warn Xeon 10K winch. Large left side body mod.
    Okay, that would explain it, haha. I was like :eek:, no way, those things are wearing down faster than Intercos!?! Although. come to think of it, back in the day, Mickey Mouse tires had a rep for wearing down almost as fast as Intercos IIRC.

Ya know, if you slap a set of SS LTB 35x12.5s on her, the Dipper'll be damn near unstoppable. :D

4. Apr 24, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    I've always heard the Mickey's had a softer rubber compound than most, so you've probably heard right. I wish I knew how many miles these tires truly had on them, but whatever.

I have already ordered new tires, but unfortunately they won't be here in time for Hardrock. And yes, I went to the dark side and got some LTB's :devil:

Taco No Baka[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Apr 24, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    NABeast

NABeast Un-Sub’d

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 4wD
    ImMrYo mirror bracket. A/C, P/W, PDL, Tilt, Cruise, AM/FM CD
    What are LTBs?

6. Apr 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Welcome, Brother. :D I dunno if you've ever had a set of Swampers before, but if not, you're gonna be so impressed. They tend to make stuff almost too easy.

Super Swamper LTBs. They are just a Super Swamper with a slightly different tread pattern. They are what I'm running on the OGT.

2016-OGT-02.jpg

7. Apr 24, 2017 at 4:11 PM
    allenfab

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Lakeland, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 5-lug on one tons
    I've never personally ran them on a truck of mine, but I have wheeled in plenty that had some variation of them (bogger, TSL, SSR...) so I know all the hype :D. I'm excited to get them, just wish I had ordered them a couple days earlier so they would be here in time for Hardrock.

8. Apr 24, 2017 at 4:24 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    I'm excited to see the Dipper with them. Man, that's gonna be so badass! I guess my days of following you by dint of better hooking tires are coming to an end, haha. :D

9. Apr 24, 2017 at 5:00 PM
    NABeast

NABeast Un-Sub’d

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 4wD
    I need some MTs, you guys are killing me. lol. I put a fair amount of miles on, so I went with the ST Maxx. But now I'm re thinking this.

10. Apr 24, 2017 at 5:04 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Get ya a set of dedicated off-road tars. Run your A/Ts for DD and slap the serious tars on for the trails. Just slap them on a set of cheap steel wheels and you won't ding up your nice wheels. :thumbsup:

BTW, there's M/Ts and then there's Super Swampers and Boggers. They're not really in the same class. :cool:

NABeast[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Apr 24, 2017 at 5:09 PM
    NABeast

NABeast Un-Sub’d

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 4wD
    That's what I'm thinking. Yeah I think the price goes up when moving to boggers and swampers. lol. What's the difference? Are they bias ply? Or just super aggressive?

12. Apr 24, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, they are bias ply, and actually, Swampers are a little cheaper than a radial of comparable size, depending on which version you get. Boggers, on the other hand are a little more expensive.

13. Apr 24, 2017 at 5:28 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Here's a bit of a comparison:

35x12.5-16 Super Swamper LTBs.......$259 ea

LT315/75R16 BFG KM2......................$319 ea

LT315/75R16 Toyo Open Country MT...$303 ea

LT315/75R16 Nitto Trail Graps............$317 ea

LT315/75R16 Goodyear MTR...............$357 ea

35x12.5-16 Boggers..........................$340 ea

NABeast likes this.
  14. Apr 24, 2017 at 5:31 PM
    NABeast

NABeast Un-Sub’d

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 4wD
    Damn, quite a bit of difference. Those damn MTRs are always the most expensive. A lot of people rave on the MTRs, they look bad ass, but still a good year.

15. Apr 24, 2017 at 5:43 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    The problem (with any Interco tire) is they wear out fast--especially on a heavier truck, even the radial options) because they are made from a soft grippy compound. However, the 33x12.5R16 Trxus MT radials I had on my F250 lasted 9 years before they dry rotted and began separating; they only had about 10k on them and they were nearly down to the wear bars though. (They rode smooth as silk though.) So if you put a lot of miles on your truck, it'd be better to go with a different brand of tire or run a brand with a harder compound on the road and just run your Intercos for wheeling trips.

16. Apr 24, 2017 at 5:58 PM
    NABeast

NABeast Un-Sub’d

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 4wD
    We derailed the shit out of Allenfabs thread... well he started it. Hahaha.

17. Apr 24, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    I'm sure it's fine. There's always a little BS goes on in a meet thread...especially when the date gets close and ppl start getting antsy. :thumbsup:

The really crappy thing is, I started coming down with something today. I'm really hoping it doesn't end up becoming an acute case of cantgotohardrockitis. That would majorly suck.

18. Apr 24, 2017 at 6:17 PM
    NABeast

NABeast Un-Sub’d

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 4wD
    I think a little stopbeingawussyngo couldn't fix. :anonymous:

19. Apr 24, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    Taco No Baka

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    Nobody said I wasn't going...yet. I'm gonna wait and see. Hopefully it'll clear up or at least ease up before Sunday, but as achy as I feel right now, bouncing around in the truck all day sounds more like torture than fun. :( But it's only Monday so it has pretty much a full week to run it's course. :fingerscrossed:

NABeast likes this.
  20. Apr 24, 2017 at 6:27 PM
    Smashingtaco

Smashingtaco Member

Member:
    I would say yes on going but hate to be that one guy always getting stuck form being only 2wd

Products Discussed in

To Top