1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hardwire GPS

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ProtoJ, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Jun 10, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    ProtoJ

ProtoJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Double Cab, Superwhite
    Removed 2nd air fliter, AFE Pro Dry filter, Scangauge II, shorty antenna, ARE CX Topper, URD Short Throw w/ TRD Shift Knob, Toyota Chrome Exhaust tip, FJ TRD Center Caps, Westin Prerunner bar w/ Hella 500 Lights, Hardwired Garmin
    I just got a good deal on a Garmin Nuvi 780. I installed it with the Panavise mount that bolts behind the climate controls. I think I would like to just hardwire it back to the fuse box. Has anyone tried this? I bought an extra power cord so I can cut the cigarette charger end off of it. Can I just use a 10amp add-a-fuse? Should I install this fuse in the first slot thats says "ignition" or is there a blank spot that is also tied into the ignition? Does anyone know the best routing for the power wire and where to bring the wiring up behind the GPS? I'll try to post a picture later of where it is installed, but it is basically just to the right of the climate control panel. I'm not a huge wiring/electronics guy, but I can pretty much figure anything out if I have some help from TW!

2. Jun 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Did you ever get around to takeing any pics. am looking for a GPS and was just intrested on how it came out.

3. Jun 14, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    ProtoJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Removed 2nd air fliter, AFE Pro Dry filter, Scangauge II, shorty antenna, ARE CX Topper, URD Short Throw w/ TRD Shift Knob, Toyota Chrome Exhaust tip, FJ TRD Center Caps, Westin Prerunner bar w/ Hella 500 Lights, Hardwired Garmin
    I have not hired wired it yet....and I might not. I'm not sure that there will be any less visible wires if I do. I think it looks pretty good and it does not interfere with the shifter.

gps 2 trd.jpg

4. Jun 14, 2009 at 4:34 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If it's got the Nuvi mini USB plug for power- There is a hardwire converter for about 15 bucks on amazon.

I didn't know enough about the power cable from the cigarette plug to want to tap that into the fuse box. I'm planning on splicing mine off the dash lighting wiring...

5. Jun 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Bethel, Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    What about the ones with free traffic? I think the "receiver" for the traffic is in the cable, so wouldn't you need to get another oem cable to splice into power?

I have a Nuvi 265wt, and I think the cable is around $100. Am I right about needing that cable?

GA

6. Jun 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Hmmm...Good question...I might have to call Garmin and toy with this a bit.

7. Jun 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    I'd only be worried about eating that thing if the airbags deployed. Think that would be a problem?

8. Jun 14, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    ProtoJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Mine does have that receiver built in. Thats why I was thinking of using an add a fuse and wiring it to an $10 cigarette lighter extension so that I can just plug the original power cord into that and hide that connection in the glove box. However, I might not even do that because the cable it came with really is pretty clean. The plug in portion is fairly sleek and it plugs into the GPS dock. I tucked the excess cable behind the portion of the plastic center consol by the passenger side.

9. Jun 15, 2009 at 8:28 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 (read the build)
    You can read my guide (listed in the sig) for ideas. Note that I later changed where I was getting power: I tapped into the 12V lead for the radio.

To Top