1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hardwiring extra light

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by calebdnehus, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    ontarioyota

ontarioyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    @scott777taco INSTAGRAM
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    Blacked out badges-rims OME lift with 881's & dakar pacs, summer tires=BFG 31x10.5x15 on 93 4runner rims,winter= 265 75 16 DURATRACS on stock steelies,Flowmaster exhaust, deck plate mod, ARB front bumper
    I used 14 g

2. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    ARE cap, Rhino lined bed, Custom Advantage-Max seat covers, Kenwood stereo and speakers, Debadged all emblems, blackedout grill, Off road lights, engine bay LEDs, Uniden Cb, Bedlined rockers and rims, Custom front and rear bumper, Hilo jack and mounts, Yakima load warrior, Magnaflow 14" muffler, Intake/prefilter, rebuilt frontend after accident so sort of frankensteined!!
    14g is a great primary wire size.

And yes keeping that power off of the cheap switch is the only way to go. I have seen those switch get hot and just melt slowly as the truck runs on long trips.

Had a friend who said "oh I dont need that silly relay", we drove to colorado from Nebraska with his amp switch off but all that power on the one side. when we came out of the restaurant and got back in the car, the switch was so hot you couldnt touch it and the wires had become very brittle and toasty!!!

Really on wiring you are better off breaking a neutral with a switch than a power wire which is essentually what a relay does. It keeps the power away from you and you just tell the relay what you want it to do. So safe and secure. Sorry if i sound preachy just really like a relay for safety reasons. And I am sure its not worth losing a truck over a 5 dollar relay, or yourself!!

3. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2, I use 14g also. 12g won't hurt, but is overkill. A good rule of thumb for electrical wiring, when in doubt, oversize the wire and undersize the fuse. You never want a fuse that will allow more juice than the wire can handle.

Great information on breaking the neutral or ground with the switch rather than the power. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top