1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anybody bought lights from eltacoloco

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by dcasillas, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Sep 13, 2008 at 7:33 AM
    craigFLA

craigFLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs

Ohh, forgot one very important point... whenever you wet sand, always let the paper soak for 10 minutes or so, otherwise you risk deeper scratches from folds/corners as the paper is stiff.

2. Sep 13, 2008 at 8:16 AM
    scottiem

scottiem Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Craig are you going to split the headlights and paint the chrome or going to just smoke the outside. If your going to just smoke the outsides what is the purpose of putting them in the oven (bake the paint). If it is for baking the paint how long do you put them in the oven and what temp. Like you I'm probably going to do my lights myself (tails for me) and just trying to gather as much info as possible before I dive in.

3. Sep 13, 2008 at 10:44 AM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs

No oven is required for the tails, as MOST people just paint the outer lens.

I read where some do separate the tail lens from the light, and smoke the inside (which is probably alot better) but separating the tail lenses are a bitch (from what little Ive read). And whenever you remove a lens, you always have to deal with re-sealing it, and checking for leaks = major pain!!

For the headlights, you are actually painting the chrome bezel inside the lens, so you put them in the oven & heat the factory adhesive so that you can separate the lens from the light. I've researched the headlight mod in depth, as there are many DIY threads (both here and Tn), but not as much available on the tails. I havent really researched the tails (in depth), but it seems like it should be pretty cut and dry as I would elect to just paint & clear the outside lens, and avoid unecessary complications.

4. Sep 13, 2008 at 12:10 PM
    scottiem

Member:
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I plan on doing my headlights (chrome bezel to black) and like you have done allot of research on both sites. The hardest part from what I've read is separating the light but if you take your time shouldn't be a problem.

5. Sep 13, 2008 at 12:13 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    if u remove the outside screws before you bake the light, the seperating is very easy. just use ur hands and pull apart. nothing to it. just make sure u turn the oven OFF before you put them in

6. Sep 13, 2008 at 12:13 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    so im guessing that he never contacted that guy??

7. Sep 13, 2008 at 12:45 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Well, Scottie, it looks as though both of us will probably be doing our own lights. I havent looked into it yet, but I assume the 3rd brake light would be the same as the tails (materials & procedure). I will probably go ahead and do it to, as it makes sense to do them all at once.

8. Sep 13, 2008 at 5:28 PM
    Sideways

Sideways Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD dbl cab
    What was he asking for the tinted taillamps?

9. Sep 13, 2008 at 5:38 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:

$190.55 including Paypal fee...

10. Sep 13, 2008 at 5:56 PM
    scottiem

Member:
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Wasn't part of that a deposit for the lights until he got your set back. When he told me about wanting PayPal fee I wasn't too keen on that, I figure if your going to accept PayPal as a method of payment why should I have to pay the fee they charge you. That would be the same as accepting Visa and charging an extra 3% to cover what Visa charges you. Or selling something on Ebay and have the winning bidder pay the fees Ebay charges you for listing and selling your item. Originally he started out at $65 a pair for tinting, then increased the price to $85.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Sep 13, 2008 at 7:17 PM
    scottiem

Member:
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a post from Gen3Benz on a couple of different threads, sounds like he's not very happy with Alex's work. Can't say that I blame him, I'd be pissed to if my tails showed up like that. Looks like Alex is wearing out his welcome on this site and over on TN.

12. Sep 13, 2008 at 7:23 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Wow even if he puts out good work, not sure who would buy from him after all these problems. Not talking about the hurricanes.

13. Sep 13, 2008 at 7:26 PM
    Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Active Member

Member:
    I have his phone number if anyone wants to contact him
    PM me

14. Sep 13, 2008 at 7:48 PM
    scottiem

Member:
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Did you get a hold of him and if so what was his response to the lights being screwed up.

15. Sep 14, 2008 at 6:38 AM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:

That really blows... This is the second person (that we know of) that this has happened to. And the messed up part is the quality of work actually looks good (from the pic).

If he got in a hurry (which it seems is the case), he probably sprayed a few heavy coats vs 4-6 lighter coats, as each clear coat (depending on the kind of clear) should flash for 20 minutes (for a light coat give or take) before applying the next coat. It saves time to just bury the lenses in 2 heavy coats, wait 4 hours, then rub them out (if hes doing that). Problem is, heavy coats take much longer to cure...

When he throws them in a box with no protection, well thats all she wrote.

Had he waited a day or 2 before shipping these, and wrapped them (softly) in bubble wrap, they'd probably be okay... what a shame.

As far as the spray paint, I dont really care. If the surface is prepared properly, and the paint is applied properly, spray paint can be fine IMO.

And I would almost guarantee he is using a clear coat, out of a rattle can. If applied right, you would probably never know the difference.

I have a 80 gallon compressor, professional paint gun, the whole 9-yards, and right now Im painting my 2nd eyelid with rattle cans!

I bought factory match paint and clear in both rattle-cans and enamel (auto-grade). The first eyelid was sprayed with the gun (enamel base-coat, and 2-part clear), the 2nd (in progress) with spray-paint base & clear. When Im done, I'll bet anyone a $100 they cant tell the difference!

It takes alot of time (unless you have a booth) to layout cardboard, plastic, protect from the wind, bugs, dust etc... On a small project, its very easy to spend more time on preparing to paint (with a compressor & gun) then to actually paint! On my 2nd eyelid, using spray cans allowed me to spray in my back patio with a few pieces of cardboard. I can sit comfortably (and post on forums from the wireless laptop) while the paint flashes between coats...lol. And the best part, I dont have to disasseble the paint gun, and clean with MEK between base & clear coats!!! Cleaning the gun (properly) sucks!!!

16. Sep 14, 2008 at 7:29 AM
    Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Active Member

Member:
    Did the other guy get a refund?
    This is absolutely BAD business.

The paint still hadn't cured when I shipped the lights back.
    When my painter paints something for me, the paint dries....I can definitely tell the difference.

I don't really care how they got damaged in the first place....not my fault.....I returned the lights....he needs to refund my money.
    I have his phone number if anyone wants it, pm me

17. Sep 14, 2008 at 10:05 AM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:

Like I said...he sprayed to heavy, and didnt wait between coats. Im sorry to hear that happened to you, as if you waited half as long as I have..it was along time.

I think dcasillas filed a Paypal claim, but dont think he actually receive a refund yet. Hopefully he'll chime in and let us know..

18. Sep 15, 2008 at 4:31 PM
    scottiem

Member:
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Craig did you file a claim with Paypal yet. I filed a dispute through PayPal asking Alex to return my deposit. Sent it off early last week. Haven't heard anything back. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow I'm going to file a claim with PayPal. Can't say for sure but seems like he's avoiding the situation. I know he's busy but then again he did return your e-mail a couple of days after the waters came through.

19. Sep 15, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:

I havent filed yet, as I gave him until 9/21 (my birthday). Thats the 44th day (Paypal gives 45 days to file). He has responded to multiple emails from me, yet hasnt been here... Your right, hes obviously avoiding the situation.

I bought 2 cans of VHT nite shades (ebay) last night, and will pick up some clear when I find time. I know I'll be doing the BHLM (as my deal with bluebeasttaco didnt work out :mad:) but now am planning to just go ahead and do all my own lights... 2 transactions for lights, and neither worked out (apparently).

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Sep 15, 2008 at 6:18 PM
    craigFLA

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Hey Scottie,

I saw your post on TN (fog light mod)... why did ya wuss-out and do the "add-a-fuse"?...lol...j/k.

Seriously, I had to have my fuse box apart for the "big 3" wiring upgrade, so I went ahead and did it all at once. Had it just been the fogs, well, I would have used one of the 5 add-a-fuse's siting in the garage...lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top