1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone been brave enough to try this? Gauge color mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RobbySkateboard, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mar 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    RobbySkateboard

RobbySkateboard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/6...-orange-red-yuck-how-change-gauge-colors.html
    I REALLY want to do this but I'm not confident enough with my soldering/knowledge of this stuff. I just wanted to know if anyone here at TW has done this? If so what color did you go with? Any pictures of it? Where did you get your LEDs or other materials you needed? Anyone that WANTS to do that willing to do it and record it on video for a video step by step for unconfident people like me that want a full on video tutorial?

2. Mar 3, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    Nope! Never seen that before. :)

3. Mar 3, 2012 at 10:11 PM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I'm not asking if anyone's seen it, I'm asking if you've done it, please don't treat me like an idiot and think I said something I didn't, I'm just wanting to see other peoples pictures and wondering if anyone would be willing to have me ship it to them and do it for me for a price, and what that price would be. I'm not trying to say "look what I found" this thread on another popular forum is 5 years old and has like 60 pages of responses, chances are everyone here has seen it, I'm just wondering if anyone was brave enough to actually do it, it looks like a REALLY daunting project.

4. Mar 3, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    There are a lot of guys on here who have it done, and I know there are several who will do it for you on here as well. I can't remember their names but you can probably find them if you search. I have been wanting to do it as well, but I haven't soldered in forever.

Hope that helps?

5. Mar 3, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I did a search, I'll admit I didn't search very deep because this forum is SUPER big and has a lot of posts but I searched and came up with a lot of things with my search words in it but not what I was looking for (didn't search too deep because I didn't want to bump an old thread and get bashed for that too) so I figured what harm does it do just to ask, sorry to offend anyone by my ignorance was just hoping for an easy answer/see some peoples pictures.

Thank you forster for your helpfulness rather than jumping on me

6. Mar 3, 2012 at 10:28 PM
    Derpy Derek

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Sorry about that, there's been so many people who post threads without searching it comes to a point where I just assume.

Don't do it if you're not confident enough to follow a diy thread that doesn't include a video of soldering.

I would suggest contacting this dude and have it done professionally.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/162197-so-cal-led-gauge-swap.html

7. Mar 3, 2012 at 10:33 PM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    No need to appologize, I know how annoying it gets (as you can probably guess from my screen name I skateboard) I'm on a few skate forums and get REALLY sick of kids asking how to kickflip when there are about 10,000,00 videos on youtube, haha). Thanks for that link by the way, I luckily live in socal so just contacted him. And thanks to whippersnapper for teaching me a better way to search, haha. Thanks everyone, is there a way I can close this thread or should we just let it die out naturally?

8. Mar 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Not mine.[​IMG]
    Plenty of people have done it

9. Mar 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    Derpy Derek

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Yeah, seems you're about an hour and a half away from him so I would definitely take advantage of that service being it so close.

No need to close this thread I guess, probably because if the mods had to close every thread that has filled it's purpose they wouldn't have time to sleep. :D

10. Mar 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Sleeps for the dead, SPAM SPAM SPAM!!! Hahaha

11. Mar 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    This

12. Mar 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    I've done it....it's easy. mine are white. so are my radio leds... :D

edit: and leds burn quick, so don't take too much time making them perty...or else you will have a dead light.

or you can have someone else do it. :)

13. Mar 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    I've done it. Peace of cake, wasn't brave at all, cause I knew what I was doing.

[​IMG]

14. Mar 4, 2012 at 2:58 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Very....rainbowey.

I'd love to do the cluster in my 2012, but I ain't to excited about rippin up my dash to possibly mess it up. Did my Vette though....piece of cake.

[​IMG]

This was before they actually made bulb replacements. Had to solder raw LED's and resistors. LOL....ah when I had time on my hands to get bored. :D

15. Mar 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    Ace83

Ace83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Bilstein Front shocks, Rough Country 3" lift kit, 5" black railway running boards
    yea its not that hard, just time consuming esp if you've never done soldering before. im gonna do mine when i get some time, its gonna be fun especially when you want an inverted LCD look

16. Mar 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    wouldn't it be cool if the manufacturer put different LEDs in as stock and then put a switch in that let you choose what color scheme you wanted on any particular day? always thought that would be an attractive option for a manufacturer to provide. simply the ability to change from cool blue to glowing red, for example. wouldn't take much and would allow the customer some control. and every customer wants that.

Products Discussed in

To Top