1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone Changed Their Gearing??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hashemg, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Jan 6, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    http://richmondgear.com/01toyota.html

These guys are definitely worth taking a look at. They have been the industry leader for hi-performance gears since day one. As far as Toyota gears go I'm not sure what all is out there but it looks like Silverback and a few others got you going in the right direction. ARB makes great parts too.

If they can take 6000+ HP in a Top Fuel dragster I'm sure their products for our trucks are right there with them. Definitely top notch equipment, although they are only as good as the person setting them up.

2. Jan 6, 2009 at 10:16 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    Eh I just looked around some more and didnt find ANY ring and pinions for 96+ tacos. What a shame...

3. Jan 6, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º
    I would Email Zuk, from that link I posted.

The best gears for Yotas are the Yukon Gears and Motive Gears.
    and Also sometime when you order Yukons they use Richmond gear.
    For what ever reason they said they dident make a 8" ring for my Taco and thats what came in my yukon box???

4. Jan 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    It should be easy to find rear gear sets, Toyota has been using the same rear diffs for 20+ years. The front will be expensive and harder to find.

5. Jan 6, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    PrezidentRedz

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    AlI did'nt say I couldn't find 1, Richmond said they did'nt make a 8"ring for the Tacoma.

Remember now if you have the TRD locker you have a different size ring gear compared to a Taco that has an open rear diff.

6. Jan 6, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07,trdOR,DC,4x4,v6,saw2.5s,OMEdakars,LRarms
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    i have parts left over from installing a no slip auto locker on my 05 4x4 sr5 taco non trd. what parts are those ? arent those the gears?

7. Jan 6, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    PrezidentRedz

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    ???What??? Post some pix of the parts you have.

8. Jan 6, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    Very true prezidentredz. My PreRunner apparently has the 8.4 rear instead of the 8 inch from what I've been told. Toyota has not used the same rear in all their trucks, although they are all fairly similar in size. I'm pretty sure that with the quality and size of the Richmond company, they are more then likely supplying the gears for allot of these companies. Now they very well could not be supplying the gears direct do to possible agreements between the manufacture and supplier(s) and what not.

If you are interested in these gears it would be well worth a 5 minute call to find out for sure. They make a fine product and if you could buy them direct, it would probably be cheaper with their name on it then someone else putting theirs on after the fact.

Good luck on the gear swap!

EDIT: http://richmondgear.com/catalogpdf/catpg13.pdf There is the brochure pre the website, but it doesn't look like the spline or RG size is correct for the late model axles.
    Also I just checked out inchworm that silverback recomended. It doesnt look like you could go wrong with that kind of a price. http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=43

Also, if anyone needs a Ford 9 inch R&P I have one with about four passes on it that I would get rid of for the cost of shipping + 10 bucks for my hassle. PM me if interested.

9. Jan 6, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    [​IMG]
    These are the parts taken out when i had rear autotrax locker installed on my 05 sr5 non trd 4x4 taco 6 speed v6. Arent these the gears. and can i use them to change the gears up front on my trd offroad 07 automatic taco v6? can i even change front gears before i change rear gears. or do i have to do them both at same time? i did loose crazy gas milleage when i went to 285/75/16 tires. but if i ever went bigger tires would i need to do another gear change?

10. Jan 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Those are the spider gears that your autotrax replaced. You really should do both front and rear gear sets at the same time, otherwise you risk blowing up your front diff.

11. Jan 6, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    NO, do not change the front or rear ratio without changing the other!! Thats a big no no on any normal off road vehicle. Like sonjay said, you will definitely tear it up. Gears are cheap enough to where you should just save the money up until you can do them both. Its the installation that is going to get you. If your mechanically competent, look into getting a dial indicator and doing it your self.

I forgot to ask, I'm curious to how you like that Autotrax? Especially when you leave it in 2wd, does it get you where you need to go without usually needing 4wd when you otherwise would be in 4wd? Im looking into doing something like this on my ride, but I have a 2wd with the 8.4 rear

Also, you could after all change just the rear if you are really that concerned over the mileage. Although you wouldn't be able to use your four wheel drive until changing the front without the risk of shearing the teeth on that front ring and pinion. The reason you cannot do this is because your front and rear axles will be working against each other. One will be spinning at a certain rate, and the other will be spinning at a different rate. This causes enough stress on the ring and pinion to where it will shear the teeth on them, causing all kinds of problems.

12. Jan 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    If for some reason you can only do one diff, take the front driveshaft out.

13. Jan 6, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    so whats the difference in gears and spider gears?
    what should i do to get better gas on my automatic v6 07 trd offroad with 285/75/16? and if i did change gears would i need to change again if i went up in tire size? See there is a place
    ( image_226a17ff0fb6f0a0550aa095243712e6ba02bdb8.gif )that will let u send in your parts and they will re gear it and ship it back to u for our trucks specifically. but im thinkin u have to send in the whole diff. or would these insides work or could they even be used on my 07? ok is it really even worth changin gears in my 07?
    The autotrax no slip works great. except if u put too much torque on a curve they lock up and your tire chirps. thats when they lock when torque is applied and it doesnt take much. They really lock up good though.They really mean no slip. But im selling that truck cause i had to get the automatic so i just got one with Elocker. The guy at justdifferentials said that the autotrax no slip is way more powerful then the other softlockers and truetrack if that tells u anything..

14. Jan 7, 2009 at 5:27 AM
    PrezidentRedz

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    Thanks I wasent trying to sound mean If I did...

All im saying was I talked to alot of people in the Rock Crawling Field and and Even Zuk him Self.. Quote his email "You should get the Motive brand and get them from http://ringpinion.biz
    good luck ZUK. thanks for the id numbers.....the front is a good gear ending in "304"....I've set up many of that "brand"....seems to be the so-called Yukon brand.
    The Sportsman is not my personal favorite ....I have seen some QC quality issues in the past. In spite of that, they should set up well. It's all in the gear installer as you probably know. ;) ZUK" End"

All Im saying is do your homework before you buy anything! ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top