1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone considered using an HHO Generator for better MPG?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ne0tas, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Mar 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    ne0tas

ne0tas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    None. :[
    I'm considering on trying to make one for the little car I drive(civic) because it seems like a fun little project, and is supposed to increase MPG's by at least 33%. My car is already fuel efficient, but the more the better.

Anyone ever considered doing the mod to their Tacoma?

2. Mar 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    ne0tas

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    i'm guessing no one has considered their car running on Hydrogen lol

3. Mar 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    eastcoastcowboy

eastcoastcowboy just sittin' in the corner, havin' a beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Redneckville, NB
    Vehicle:
    '15 Skewped!!
    Weathertecs, 265/70/17 Duratracs, Trifecta Tonneau
    I've heard that running on an HHO generator is similar to running on Snake Oil.

4. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.
    My dad built one for the Civic he has and it runs pretty well. He had one in a Jeep Cherokee he has and while they we were on a road trip it melted. It was a good thing it is just a fuel supplement and they could continue on with just gas. I just I have yet to see one that will hold up.

5. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    ne0tas

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    Holy shiet :O Good thing nothing bad happened

I plan on building mine out of a a glass or something non-conductive, only problem is I don't know how to run relays/switches into my cabin and such :x

6. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    Gramps

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    The one that melted was in a glass mason jar. It was the lid and the wire inside that melted. It was an older design though with the wire wrapped around something in the jar. The one he has now in the Civic is a different design with two rods in the glass jar instead. I haven't asked him about in a while how it has been doing. I will have to do that.

7. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    My guess the power to run the converter will off set the gain.

8. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    Gramps

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    Unless we are talking about two different Hydrogen set ups the thing my dad built uses very little electricity. Define HHO Generator for me.

9. Mar 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    BINGO!!!

G

10. Mar 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Small kits use 20 amps some thing around 1/3 HP best case 2-3 liters per minute if you even believe that (they all separate hydrogen from water this does not happen fast). The average person breaths in some where around 1/2-1 liter per resting breath so a liter of uncompressed hydrogen isn’t much. Now compressed you might have some thing a gas engine runs very nicely on compressed hydrogen (you need the volume) but that is not a back yard project remember the Hindenburg?

11. Mar 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This.

It's one of the basic laws of physics that is apparently no longer taught in public schools.

You can't get something from nothing.
    You can neither create nor destroy energy, only transform it.
    No energy conversion is 100% efficient, there is always energy loss.

It is physically impossible in this universe for a hydrogen generator to improve gas mileage by 1%... much less 33%.

The energy required to produce the hydrogen has to come from somewhere. That "somewhere" is the alternator.
    Increased load on the alternator = increased load on the engine = worse fuel economy.

Even if the water > hydrogen > engine power conversion were 100% efficient with absolutely zero losses in the system, the net improvement in MPG would be exactly zero.

The only way to improve MPG using hydrogen is to power the generator from an external source that does not draw power from the engine.
    Solar cells on the roof, battery that you charge at home, etc....

12. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    Just buy a car that gets better gas milleage, problem solved.

13. Mar 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Look up Michael strizki

14. Mar 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Sorry.

I don't care what he is selling and what he is claiming that it does.

Without introducing energy into a system from an external source, it is a violation of the basic (I'm talking elementary school level) laws of physics.

There is a reason automakers are not using his system on trucks and SUVs to help meet CAFE fuel economy standards.

It can't work as claimed.

If these systems worked as claimed, we would have perpetual motion and all of the world's energy needs would be solved.

15. Mar 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    I don't care what he's selling either, just saying that it can be done cause he is doing it, I think their are a number of reasons why automakers are not using this method but one of the main ones would be their buddies over at the fuel/oil plants don't like that idea cause that would mean they would lose money and those guys don't like to lose money.

Everything stems from greed plain and simple, they had a guy using a similar method back in the 60's I believe or maybe even the 50's, he sold it to a car manufacturer and nothing came about from it, then latter he mysteriously disappeared, coincidence? I don't think so?

16. Mar 12, 2012 at 5:51 AM
    ne0tas

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    Look up some videos of people running them in their cars on youtube. Its a pretty efficient system.and the reason why a car can't run completely on it is because it would require a ton of energy and water to power an engine at an effiencent rate.

They can run at 30amps and have a few generators at a time and increase performance as well since it enriches the air going into the pistons. I just think it's a neat little project for someone to do you know?

People gotta be more open minded these days lol

17. Mar 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    This is nonsense. Oil and car manufacturing are two separate industries. Why would car manufacturers care if the oil companies receive less profits? They don't. Car makers are clamoring for ways to make their cars more fuel efficient. They're struggling to get improved economy while at the same time increasing power. They spend billions in R&D to output better gasoline, hybrid, electric and diesel engines. If adding a simple $500 gadget would increase their fuel economy by 33% with no loss in power, they'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

Plus, the big 3 were on the verge of bankruptcy in 2009, yet they still kept those amazing technologies under wraps?

http://fuelsaving.info/conspiracy.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8313832.stm

18. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    There's videos on YouTube of people flipping a cheerleader through a basketball hoop.
    There's videos of some guy that supposedly runs an engine 100% on water.

It's all bullshit.

You can't get "something" for "nothing".

It takes a LOT of energy to get hydrogen from water. It is not an efficient process.
    Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are only practical because you can control where the hydrogen is produced, and what energy source will be used to produce the hydrogen. Wind, solar, tidal, geothermal, and nuclear are all good clean sources of power to produce hydrogen without leaving a large carbon footprint.

But you can't produce hydrogen "on the move" unless you carry a separate energy source with you.
    It's elementary physics and anyone who tells you otherwise has either bought into the bullshit, or is trying to sell you the bullshit.

It doesn't matter whether the generator draws 5 amps or 500 amps... that is power that is drawn from the engine. That is HP drawn from the engine that is not used to move the car. That is additional fuel needed to produce the HP to produce the hydrogen.

It CAN'T work.... and no amount of crying "stop being closed minded" is going to change the basic laws of physics.

19. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    ne0tas

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick Iglesias
    Duarte, California
    Vehicle:
    Why don;t you try it out for yourself to see if it actually works or not? I doubt hundreds of people are all lying.

20. Mar 13, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Hydrogen does not enrich the air going into the engine. Hydrogen is very unstable and oxygen hungry it is looking for O2 to combine with go boom and make water. So why don't you buy one and do all the math and get back to us with a very detailed report? A car can run completely on hydrogen as long as it is compressed for the volume necessary to make it a viable fuel, the short term use in a small generator is not energy effective. If we could produce hydrogen effectively every thing would be running on hydrogen it has no pollutants and can be made by separating it from H2O but until you see hydrogen fuel stations you know that it's not cost/energy effective.

Products Discussed in

To Top