1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone ever had bad service like this?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by brian, May 24, 2010.

1. May 24, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    brian

brian [OP] Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Had a u-joint replaced the other day. DC taco has two piece driveshaft right? Well, even the 'dumb mechanic' that I obviously am, KNOWS to mark the driveshaft when you pull it apart so everything remains balanced when you reinstall.

Well they didn't. My zerc fittings used to be all aligned on the same side. My 2 driveshafts have been reinstalled 180 out from each other, causing the annoying vibration hum inside the cab at 60mph, and most recently, a mild driveline shutter at 20mph. The work was CLEARLY done incorrectly.

Heres my receipt:

[​IMG]

Basically the service manager told me I'm an idiot and to shove it, even when I called out his bad service. He claimed the driveshaft was 'in-phase' and the vibration was the tires. You'd think since I've been driving this truck for the past 70k miles, I'd know what my tires feel like right?

Does anyone have the service manual portion for replacing a u-joint or driveshaft maintenance at all? I want a copy of it, my factory maintenance manuals don't seem to have much on drivelines. I would greatly appreciate any help I could get on this matter. I want to shove a reference in his face, and possibly down his throat.

2. May 24, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Here you go :

Attached Files:

3. May 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Write Toyota and get that service manager fired! I've gotten the service manager at BMW fired for stupid shit like that. Go talk to his boss and make a scene inside the shop, that'll get your problem fixed REAL quick!

4. May 24, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    brian

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Asgard, thank you very much! Is there more to that by chance? That definitely helps! Does anyone know what they're using for 'matchmarks' on the driveshaft? Are they stickers that can be removed or grease pencil?

5. May 24, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    LVTacoma

LVTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Having worked at several dealerships with family as service managers. Go to the GM of the dealership. Nothing more infuriating then some jack off suit and tie who probably doesnt even drive a Toyota telling you that you're wrong when clearly he didn't acquire that position by working on the vehicles he gets paid easily 6 figures to "service manage"

6. May 24, 2010 at 9:12 AM
    brian

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

You can be sure I'm probably going to do that. The vibes I'm getting are not as apparent as the bad u-joint was, so I can KINDA understand not feeling it unless you know the vehicle, but the fact that the zercs were out of line front and rear was the obvious sign, and he told me that only the middle zerc, the ujoint that was replaced was out of align and thats 'nothing to worry about' or something to that extent.

7. May 24, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    brian

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    The only marks I can find on my driveshaft is on the front, it appears the head of one bolt is 'blue' from a paint pen. Another bolt forward of it on the transmission is blue as well, looks fairly fresh. There are no marks on the rear driveshaft or rear axle.

8. May 24, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    LVTacoma

LVTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just had mine replaced (last week) at the driveline shop in town. I avoid dealerships at all costs for these reasons. Hope this gets worked out and maybe get a free detail or two out of it ;)

9. May 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    brian

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    The only reason I take it in is because its warrantied till 107k. I could do all the work myself if I had to. No way in hell they are going to detail my truck either, I won't even let my wife touch the damn paint, she's done enough damage already! If they wanted to pay me back, they can paint my front bumper again! Stupid thing fades, looks pink after a rain.

Products Discussed in

To Top