1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone experienced these two strange things?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hillbillynwv, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Nov 13, 2008 at 6:41 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    My truck is a 2008 V6 TRD 4x4 Extended cab with about 4300 miles, bought brand new in June.

Strange Thing #1: I travel about 16 miles to work on the interstate. After getting off the interstate and sitting on the exit ramp at a stop light with my foot on the brake pedal I feel a "lunge" from behind. Almost as if someone has lightly rear ended me. I look in the mirror and no one is behind me. I have not really noticed if my RPM's increase to cause this. It happens nearly everyday. I have not had the TSB performed yet on the leaf springs. It's a strange feeling when this happens.

Strange Thing #2: This occcured just last night. I went to my garage to get something from my truck. After closing the drivers door I heard a noise. It sounded like a fan motor running. My truck had been sitting for about 3 hours since I returned home from work. The sound was coming from the area of the rear differential. I got down on my hands and knees and listened to this and thought what the hell is running under my truck. From being under my truck changing the oil I noticed what looked like fan coolers mounted on the gear box and rear differential. I'm thinking this is where the sound was coming from. After a couple minutes, it kicked off. It was strange, to hear something running after the truck had been not running for three hours.

I read through the current TSB listing and didn't notice anything that matches my strange happenings. Has anyone experienced any of these?

2. Nov 13, 2008 at 7:18 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    1# Think thats the auto lurch.

2# The noise a few hours after sitting is normal. Fuel tank purge or something.

3. Nov 13, 2008 at 7:21 AM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    #2 is the fuel ruturn line

4. Nov 13, 2008 at 7:21 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I had the same thing as #1 in my '06 PreRunner. Drove me crazy, but could never reproduce it at will at the dealership. On my '09, I've experienced it a few times, but not nearly as much as the '06.

5. Nov 13, 2008 at 7:21 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I have experienced #1 When you coming to a stop sign a good 5-10 seconds later it lunges foward its your gears going back down if you ever go down hill and apply the break you will notice the truck drops gears same thing its just when you come to a stop its catching up with you.

6. Nov 13, 2008 at 7:27 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    So, it's by design?? Seems that they could have made it a little less noticeable.

The thing I always thought about was what if I slam on the breaks to avoid flying off a cliff and stop JUST short of the edge. Then the damn truck lunges just a bit, just enough to send me over the edge. I guess my relatives could sue Toyota or something... :)

7. Nov 13, 2008 at 7:30 AM
    SocalMan22

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    True i remember this conversation @ TN and alot of people have that lunge i drive fast and when i come to a stop light its always there and if that ever happened to you about the cliff you better hope its like the toyota commercial and you survive lol.

8. Nov 13, 2008 at 7:36 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    :D

9. Nov 13, 2008 at 9:06 AM
    steelerfan7p

steelerfan7p My other car is a Bugatti

Member:
    First Name:
    Yes
    Fairmont, WV (1 Hour South of the City of Champi
    Vehicle:
    Non-TRD, Non-SR5, Non- Prerunner
    Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Metra IPod Adapter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, I was added to the truck to make it better, so does that count as a Mod?
    Hillbilly, did you buy yours from Dan Cava's?

10. Nov 13, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    hillbillynwv

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    Yes, I bought mine at Dan Cava's Toyota World.

11. Nov 13, 2008 at 9:14 AM
    steelerfan7p

Member:
    First Name:
    Yes
    Vehicle:
    Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Metra IPod Adapter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, I was added to the truck to make it better, so does that count as a Mod?
    me too back in late april. If you dont mind me askin, how much did you pay? you can pm me if you want

12. Nov 13, 2008 at 9:33 AM
    hillbillynwv

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I think the sticker was $29,500. They gave me $9000 for my rusted out frame 1995 Tacoma with 145,000 miles. I got a $1000 rebate and $1000 cash back. When it was all said and done, I think I financed around $19,000.

13. Nov 13, 2008 at 9:42 AM
    blake2035

blake2035 Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Off Road Package
    I got my truck in September, brand new '08 V6 double cab TRD Off Road and mine does the lurching forward thing from time to time if my foot is not securely on the brake pedal. Although I had a Ford Exploder previously and it would do the same occasionally.

Not sure as to #2.

14. Nov 13, 2008 at 9:45 AM
    steelerfan7p

Member:
    First Name:
    Yes
    Vehicle:
    nice. sticker for mine was 25,000 - 1000 rebate - 4000 for old F150 w/ 175,000 mi.

15. Nov 13, 2008 at 10:57 AM
    rwcfrank

rwcfrank Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    Mine does it all the time, seems like an idle stepper. I read somewhere that there was a lawsuit because some people claimed the "lurch" caused them to violently accelarte into some fixed object....It is relatively minor but I notice quite often. Usually I have the ac/heater fan going but I am not sure if that has anything to do with it..

16. Nov 13, 2008 at 11:07 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i'm convinced the A/C has a lot to do with the lurch. i am a fuel miser (ain't we all these days?) and alsmost never use my defrost or AC because i know the compressor must run for these to work. i know it probably only makes a minute difference in milage at best, but i'll take what i can get. the ONLY times i've ever felt the infamous lurch were while i either had the A/C on, or was using defrost mode.

17. Nov 13, 2008 at 11:11 AM
    SocalMan22

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    i get the lurch with the ac off

18. Nov 13, 2008 at 11:17 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors

I would think if you were about to go over a cliff you would practically push the pedal to the floor. If thats the case, the lunge wouldn't move the truck. I have felt it in my 05. When I have to do hard braking for a red light, I don't move from the lunge. It is when you are just holding the brake just enough to keep from rolling, that it moves my truck.

By the way, stay away from cliffs! :eek::eek:

19. Nov 13, 2008 at 11:17 AM
    LDrider

LDrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR 2.7 Access Cab 4x4 (sold to Carvana!)
    Mine has done it since day one, even with A/C off and even with defrost off. Sometimes it is rather violent, like getting tapped in the rear bumper. Common to the 5 speed auto in a lot of Toyota products. A terrible design that holds 2nd gear forever until the computer decides that yes, you are indeed stopping, then it downshifts again from second to first and you get a lurch.

In addition, I have felt my truck sorta <take off> on its own at parking lot speeds without giving it throttle. Weird.

Once I pay mine down a few more months, I will be offing it. I hate the tranny with a passion.

20. Nov 13, 2008 at 11:19 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors

Damn! Good deal. All they would give me for my 05 with 95,000 miles was $10k. Not good enough.

Products Discussed in

To Top