1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

has anyone wired an air horn?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by toyotadude5, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Nov 18, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    toyotadude5

toyotadude5 [OP] Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    2006 Subaru wrx sti (white)
    Trying to wire up my new air horn, because i think the stock one is wimpy. But cant figure out the wiring. Just wondering if anyone else has done this.

2. Nov 18, 2009 at 3:09 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    when i put mine in........i cut the stock horns off, and just used the wiring for my air horns.

3. Nov 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Ooh. Good call, Will. Never thought of that for some reason. I bought a cheapo air horn kit that I still need to install at some point. Eventually, im gonna do an OBA setup, then i'll get a real air horn and plumb it into that.

4. Nov 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    same here........plannin an oba setup.......but the cheepies were all i could afford at the time.

5. Nov 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    did you buy a bunch of components to build a setup? or a kit

6. Nov 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    if you got a kit, you should only need to give it power and a ground. if the kit has only one wire you can connect it to your existing horn wire and bolt the compressor to something metal for ground. if the kit has two wires one is power and the other is ground connect the power to the existing horn wire and the other to something metal. if you have a bunch of components(solenoid, pressure switch, compressor) its a little more tricky than that but if need be i can walk you through it. that is how i built mine.

7. Nov 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    toyotadude5

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    ok just got it to work. I got a walo from checker for 25 bux. Its def louder than stock

8. Nov 18, 2009 at 3:49 PM
    toyotadude5

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    ya it was a kit

9. Nov 18, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    rhodehard09

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    :)good deal man!

10. Nov 19, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I have OBA and I too used the stock horn wires to connect the solenoid.

I have a air tank under the bed and the air horns mounted in the front bumper. The wires for the stock horn give a 12v +. So make sure your setup requires that.

My horn came off an old semi truck, the air tank I bought from ebay, air lines, solenoid and fittings I had lying around.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Nov 26, 2009 at 8:36 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats

Ditto.

Make sure you ground the new horn(s) though. On my 08, the stock wiring is only the positive lead.

Products Discussed in

To Top