1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hauling plywood in DblCab short bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sawdust, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Sep 28, 2007 at 9:08 AM
    sawdust

sawdust [OP] Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Yeah, I grew up in a small town and I'm not the biggest fan of the people and traffic of the city life. But my job's in Plano and I'm even less of a fan of an hour commute.

Since you've got ties to the area, watch out for that Carolina Alliance. They're making a grab for territory. Don't let 'em have Ohio, OK?

2. Sep 28, 2007 at 10:03 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I wouldn't touch Ohio with a 12 foot pole!

3. Sep 28, 2007 at 11:33 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have been there. There is Wright Field.

4. Sep 28, 2007 at 12:12 PM
    Mudbug

Mudbug Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amsoil 0w-20 engine oil and Amsoil Full synthetic 75w-90 in the Transmission, transfer case, front and rear Differentials. AFE Cold Air Intake
    I have an hour and fifteen minute commute at the moment. I work off mockingbird and I live in princeton. I'm moving though....haha then again I live with my parents still and gas is still cheaper than rent...but i'm tired of the drive.

5. Nov 10, 2007 at 9:25 PM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Back on topic here, but I just found out that I'm going to have to act surprised when I open at Christmas. It's a quarter of the price of the other hitch receiver solutions. You may want to ask Santa for one.

6. Nov 11, 2007 at 8:20 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    Just throw some crap on top of the plywood, behind the cab, and keep your foot out of the firewall.

7. Nov 11, 2007 at 8:22 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    if you have the bed rail/cleat setup on your taco just push the cleats to the end towards the tailgate, run a ratchet-strap from one cleat, under and over the end of the wood and to the other cleat, that'll keep it from sliding out

8. Nov 11, 2007 at 8:40 PM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure I mentioned it clearly, but I sometimes work with furniture grade hardwood veneered plywood (like cherry, walnut, maple, etc). They're typically $80 - $200 per sheet. I'm being extra careful with that stuff. For just exterior grade construction plywood, I wouldn't be sweating it this much.

The hitch extender I linked to above would also be helpful if you find yourself hauling 10 or 12 foot two-by material. Especially with the short bed.

9. Nov 11, 2007 at 8:46 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    Being a member of The Alliance, don't take this "friendly" question as a form of a truce lol, but how do you make sawdust out of plywood?

10. Nov 11, 2007 at 9:18 PM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    Uhm, I use a saw. It's a handy invention created around the bronze age where a toothed piece of metal is sharpened, then passed back and forth perpendicular to a piece of wood. As it passes it cuts tiny pieces of wood between each of the teeth. These little pieces of wood are known as sawdust.

Gee, I really thought that alliance territory was at least at the bronze age of technology. Now you've got me wondering.

OK, in all seriousness. You're going to have to tell me what you mean by that question. Sarcasm was a last resort in this case. I just couldn't figure out how to answer it seriously.

11. Nov 11, 2007 at 9:25 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    i have cut wood before and seen sawdust lol, i just didnt realize you still used the usual saw and just cut a board up as many times as you can to get the dust. i figured there'd be something that just took small pieces and ground it up or something. what else can you use sawdust for besides puke and oil cleanup?

12. Nov 11, 2007 at 10:12 PM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    The sawdust isn't the point in cutting wood. You know that, right? I just finished a long post in the woodworking thread in offtopic with my latest project.

Oh, and sawdust can be glued together to form particleboard, it's good mulch for plants, etc.

13. Nov 11, 2007 at 11:02 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    haha i know making sawdust isnt the point to cutting wood, u said somewhere else that u like making it, you must have been implying that you like woodworking not actually making the sawdust and i took it too literally lol

14. Nov 12, 2007 at 8:00 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    we're definately past the bronze age. Remember our conversation about our new-fangled cell phone cans?

15. Nov 12, 2007 at 8:30 AM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, it was a joke, son. "making sawdust" = woodworking. Considering all the 'haha's and 'lol's you put into your posts I would have expected you to get it. This is evidence of that IQ reduction you get when you join the alliance.

16. Nov 12, 2007 at 8:33 AM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    That's right. You're in the tin age! Now, bronze is an alloy of copper and tin, so the tin age comes before the bronze age.

17. Nov 12, 2007 at 8:53 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    You're in the bronze age..... idiot!

18. Nov 12, 2007 at 10:51 AM
    jgunccrugby

jgunccrugby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Holly, NC
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 DBL Cab
    Tacoma Seat Covers, Tacoma Kick Guards, Nerf Bars, Front window tint. To come: Bull Bar
    I saw the post about the different tailgate cable on the Colorado and saw this today. Figured I would pass it along.

tailgate

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Nov 12, 2007 at 11:29 AM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    Do you have any experience with those? I heard about them before, but kinda ruled them out making fun of people who can't handle the weight of their own tailgate. This just cushions the opening of the tailgate, right? Or am I missing something? Is there some way to sturdily lock in partially open? Like a damper on a screen door.

I'm not sure what purpose that cylinder is on the cable in the picture, but the picture of the parts doesn't show a replacement cable.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Nov 12, 2007 at 11:32 AM
    sawdust

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    But the bronze age is after the tin age, so Texas is ahead of you by your own admission :eek:

You really should give up this battle of wits with me. Normally I wouldn't spar with someone unarmed, but you make it so much fun.

Products Discussed in

To Top