1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Have you met anyone famous?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by coffeesnob, May 5, 2013.

1. May 23, 2014 at 4:28 AM
    Bagman

Bagman Dental Floss Tycoon

Member:
    Area 51
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Played a round of golf with Johnny Bench at a charity golf tourney - super nice guy

Met Chipper Jones at a golf tourney - total asshole

Sat next to the Undertaker from the WWE while flying on a business trip. That dude is huge. Nice guy. He didn't talk much.

2. May 23, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    A few but in no particular order. Not sure of the correct spelling of some of the names...

George Straight
    Kellie Coffee
    Dirks Bentley
    Kellie Pickler
    Miranda Lambert
    Blake Shelton
    Steven Sagal (child was a patient at same long term care hospital as my son)
    Morgan Freeman (lives not too far from me and frequents Oxford last time I met him was at Wal-Mart)
    Trace Adkins
    The dudes of Rascal Flats (Gary Lavox is the only name I remember)
    Randy Owen (lead singer of Alabama)
    Montgomery & Gentry
    Jason Alden (I'm not a fan of him even though his music is okay)
    James Otto
    Matthew McConaughey (local eatery while in town for a game at Ole Miss)
    John Grisham (lives here part time so see him on the square of our small town)
    Payton Manning (& his dad & bro...also have condos here in town see them at games)
    Pat Green (singer of "wave on wave" was hired to entertain at one of our cook outs and "released" after one song if I recall correctly)
    Larry Bird
    Tony Stewart (rode in my car around a track)
    Mohamed Al Fyad (at what was then his department store Harrods, he was the father of Princess Diana's boyfriend (Dodi) who died in the car with her. I was also in Paris when the crash happened).
    Ringo Star (at the airport in Cancun)
    John McCain (at a debate in 2008 with Obama who I've not met)
    Ruth Lilly (helped set up reward charters for certain of her employees)
    Soulja Boy young hip hop dude (one of his places & his parents are my neighbors...I'm not a fan of orange...even on their Lamborghini)
    Shepard Smith (has a condo here in town and hangs out on game days)
    Several politicians in my Ex's family (including a former president of the DNC, former advisor to Bill Clinton and current political strategist & guest speaker on FOX & CNN, a former Attorney General of the state of New York, a former state senator, governor, US Senator & presidential hopeful...all different people except the state senator, governor, US Senator & Presidential hopeful....I'll leave the names out so I can try to stay anonymous). My ex, her father & I were the only Constitutionalist / Libertarians at the family reunions...those were always fun.

Unless otherwise noted, I've met most listed (and a bunch more) at fund raising / charity events and or at special occasions having been an invited guest at sound check, warm up and or shows through some none-profit groups I've been involved with.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  3. May 23, 2014 at 8:23 AM
    deepcoma

deepcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of the rising sun
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I had drinks and watched a hockey game with Wayne Gretzky at a bar in Vancouver. It was the night before his coaching debut with Phoenix, real nice guy! That's my claim to fame.

Others I have met:

Robert Plant
    Jeremy Roenick and a bunch of NHL players over the years.

4. May 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I'm jealous of 3/4 of your list.

5. May 24, 2014 at 8:20 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I have met a few Nascar drivers

Tony Stewart
    Dale Jr
    Kenny Schrader
    Micheal waltrip
    Harry gant
    Joe Gibbs
    Sterling Marlin
    Kenny Wallace

Pic of my wife with Tony Stewart at our local dirt track

[​IMG]

6. May 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    Osceola12

Osceola12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Sport MGM
    Obama: political thing
    Jack Nicholson: 1996 Olympics
    Bobby Bowden: FSU
    Undertaker: married to my childhood neighbor, Michelle
    Outkast: strange ATL fluke
    Willie Nelson: just a handshake

7. May 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    I had a close call with Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. (Queen Elizabeth II's husband in case you didn't know)

When I was stationed in Minot AFB in North Dakota in 1984, His plane stopped while on his way to the Olympics. As a young standout security policeman, I got chosen to guard it the entire time he was there. (about a 14 hour stint)

I was excited when they told me he often will wander out and about and talk to people especially ones close to his plane. (Nice plane by the way...)

He never did, but in the a.m. on his way on board, he gave me a little thank you wave.

It was pretty amazing to see the way he was treated. Crew coming out early to polish the chrome props, taking their shoes off to polish the staircase, etc. They even issued an order that no planes would take off, land, or even run up engines while he was there. Pretty extreme for a Strategic Air Command base.

Wish I could have spoken to him.

8. May 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Props? Out of interest, what type of plane was it?

9. May 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    Vorra65

Vorra65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ted Nugent (at an off-road race in Parker AZ)

Rob McCachren (sold him a motorcycle)

Henry Cho standup comedian ( golf buddy)

Alan Fowlkes (pitched for the Giants) we played ball together in HS

Dave (King Kong) Parker MLB Legend

Jay Springsteen
    Jimmy Felice
    Scotty Parker
    Bubba Shobert
    Doug Chandler ( hung out with these guys after the San Jose mile)

Bob Glidden ( NHRA legend)
    Don Garlits
    Gene Clyde and Doug Berg ( VW drag racing legends)

Clint Eastwood (at a golf tournament- one cool hombre)

10. May 24, 2014 at 11:14 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Yes, highly polished props. I'm not sure what it was. Had logos on the side that said "The Queens Flight". That I remember.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  11. May 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    It's funny how many people have a shoestring claim to fame. My great uncle is Glen Campbell. I also partied with Snoop and Kid Rock in Vegas once, but you know the saying. Met Jerry Springer at a restaurant. He was a douche. Also had Robbie Gordon in the rearview of the Taco for a couple miles once, but only because he was letting me lead him to a test track. He promtly passed me sideways at triple digits once we arrived. :eek:

Also met this dude at the Vegas gun show. You could tell it was the only roll he had, and it made me kind of sad. He was obviously higher than a fucking kite. Oh and I met Gary Sinise once, really down to earth guy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  12. May 24, 2014 at 11:41 PM
    MTpockets

MTpockets Member

Member:
    Only one that matters...

Chuck Norris

13. May 24, 2014 at 11:48 PM
    bhead

bhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indio, Ca
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    i ride with an ex pro mx racer on a regular basis during the winter, Ron Turner.

14. May 24, 2014 at 11:56 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Well that quoted text produced some google results... :D

He's pretty famous and had some decent music. My dad always liked him.

Any of you heard the saying "you're only 6 people away from knowing everyone on earth"?

15. May 26, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    menof2amendment

menof2amendment Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tocoma TRD off road
    stock, no mods
    I started playing drums when I was in the fifth grade. After high school graduation, I used to drum in Hollywood back in the early `70s. I met many celebrities. For starters......I was backup drummer for STEPPENWOLFE for a short while. I was chosen to be the new drummer for the `70s band CHICAGO. I stayed with them only one hour...won`t discuss why. I met PACIFIC GAS&ELECTRIC, JACKSON FOUR....Michael JACKSON wasn`t with them....Jermaine was there and yes, they were/are GAY. I met BUDDY RICH, best drummer there ever was. He lived around the corner from me and he walked to work every morning which took him past my place. He would listen to me beat drums and gave me much help. He came in and did a brief solo on my drums. I met FLEETWOOD MAC. STEVIE NICKS wanted me to drum with them, but FLEETWOOD MAC ( his real name) then current drummer for the group pulled out a .25auto pistol and said that he would not have it to be. I said that I would not accept the position because they all had been together for so long and my joining with them would affect the group`s sound and fans may not like it. I met ARETHA FRANKLIN....she also needed a drummer, but I declined. I met RICK NELSON at Capitol Records studio while he was recording a song .. dont remember the name of it. He is /was a short fellow. I met JOHN WAYNE. John was a tall fellow at 6` 10`` I think. I met the BEATLES.....GEORGE, PAUL, JOHN AND RINGO. I met DICK CLARK. I met PHIL SPECTOR and his gun. I met the EAGLES in Arizona and helped write a line in their song `TAKE IT EASY`. The phrase `It`s a girl, my lord , in a flatbed Ford slowing down to take a look at me` was my idea and the writers put it into the song. I never got a penny for it. I met TWISTED SISTER ...a very weird fellow and a violent person. I met TOM HANKS. He was about 17 years old then. The rock band KISS was just organizing and they wanted me for their drummer, but when they said I had to get tattoos all over myself I declined their offer. I met TED NUGENT. I met DAVID CROSBY of CROSBY , STILLS, NASH, YOUNG also looking for a drummer. I met BILLY JOE ROYAL. I met TOOKIE SULLIVAN with his bodyguards one early morning on a street in Los Angeles. I was almost one of his victims, but I escaped. I met HUBERT H. HUMPHREY 38th Vice President of USA under LYNDON JOHNSON. I was drummer for RUDY BLUE SHOES in SC. GA. CALIF. He`s on YOUTUBE, but RUDY will never make it big time. We parted in 1971. That`s all the `famous` folks I remember for now. I got saved (received JESUS CHRIST as my SAVIOUR) in March 1971 and left the West Coast drugs/sex/rock`n roll culture. I haven`t had any desire to return since. Except for Jesus Christ, I am no longer in contact with anyone I mentioned here. I went to WICHITA STATE UNIVERSITY in Wichita, Kansas and met Dr. JOSEPH C. COMBS, head of the percussion department. He heard me play a solo on drums and play some jazzstyle rhythms with himself playing piano and a graduate student working on his MASTERS/Doctorate playing the vibraphones. Afterwards Dr. COMBS offered me a four year scholarship for a MUSIC ED. percussion/piano major degree. Stipulations were that I had to maintain at least a C average and not get any females pregnant. I agreed and signed the paperwork for it. I was newly arrived in Wichita, KS and had no place to stay and no job, so I didn`t pursue the scholarship degree and I left Kansas to return to South Carolina.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  16. May 27, 2014 at 3:43 AM
    Auzea

Auzea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alexander
    Hendersonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement DCSB OR MT
    Stock boi
    I sat next to James Deen on a flight last year. Quite an interesting character and had some pretty intellectual viewpoints. I've also taken flights with Andrew Raycroft and Richard Hammond.

17. May 27, 2014 at 11:14 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    ^^^ :spy: who are you?

18. May 27, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    You're so full of shit.

19. Jul 28, 2014 at 1:55 PM
    TucsonMike

TucsonMike Blank

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG TRD Off Road
    TRD OEM lift kit bronze sema wheels
    Brooke Burke lived down the street from her
    Tiana Lynn
    Michael Landon
    Paul and Linda McCartney
    Mario Andretti
    Paul Tracy
    Nigel Mansell
    Bib Stillwell
    Slayer
    Had some drinks with Wayne Static and Shavo Odadjian (SOAD) at the White Pony record release party and was on Farmclub with them
    Deftones
    Tim Yeung (Morbid Angel, Nile, Divine Heresy, Hate Eternal)
    Mike Muir
    Bush (the band)
    No Doubt
    Christine Taylor
    Steve Case

20. Jul 29, 2014 at 11:27 PM
    Aces and 8s

Aces and 8s Sean266's Lover

Member:
    Growing up my dad worked for the studios, he brought me on set a lot during summer time so I've met a lot of actors. Also worked at a high profile dealership here in California and we had celebrities coming in to buy cars now and then. Growing up around it though, I'm not phased by celebrities. I'll say hi to anyone I walk past who makes eye contact, famous or not. We're all humans. I'll never really understand the excitement around seeing someone in public who is well known. I get more excited about seeing my two older cousins who I look up to and admire more than anyone in the world than I do about meeting someone famous.

Products Discussed in

To Top