1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Have You Owned Both Michelin AT/2 and BFG K02s ??

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by MPOW33R, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Jan 5, 2017 at 9:09 PM
    Victory

Victory Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Pete, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I've had two sets of each on my 4Runner, (actually the BFGs were one set KO one KO2) the AT2s don't look as aggressive as the BFG, but are a better performing tire for what I need. They are much better in the rain (the BFGs were terrible) and they rode smooth and quiet, no complaints but switched for looks. I didn't think the KOs and KO2 were loud, but weren't as quiet as the Michelins, likewise the ride wasn't bad but not as smooth as the Michelins either. The worst part was trying to get th BFGs balanced, I had to have them road force balanced, and always still a small vibration at different RPMs, thought KO2s would be better than the KOs but maybe only marginally, in fact the only time I got any flats in 12 years with that 4Runner were with the KO2, happened 3 times on 3 tires! Of course that may not have been the tires fault, just was surprising to me. The michelins were C rated, the KOs were D rated and the KO2 were E rated, all were 285/70/17.
    I actually like the Goodyear wrangler Adventure AT on my Off Road do not looking for tires right now, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Michelins.

0210, MPOW33R[OP] and JoeCOVA like this.
  2. Jan 5, 2017 at 9:37 PM
    MPOW33R

MPOW33R [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MoMo
    East Bay, California
    Vehicle:
    A Few Air Cooled Porsche, A Few Water Cooled Porsche, 2018 Mag Gray Limited 4x4 (TRD Pro Rep 6/2023) 17 Mag Gray DC SB TRD Sport Premium JBL NAV Tech | 10 Mag Gray DC SB TRD Off Road JLB Audio
    10' TRD Beadlocks, LTX MS/2s , Skid Plate, Roof Rack , Tonneau, Full Stereo System w.DVD 17' TRD Pro 17s, TRD PRO Grill, TRD Pro Rigid Fog Lights, TRD Pro Tails, TRD Pro Knob, TRD Pro Bugle and Hood Decal, 265/70/17 BFG KO2s (C), TRD Skid Plate, OEM Tri Fold Tonneau, OEM Roof Racks, TRD Exhaust Tip, All LED Lighting, Tacoma Matte Tailgate Lettering, OEM Rear Bed Step, Remote Start, Locking Tailgate
    Aweome insight man thank you for the details, I've heard a lot of people complain about balancing the KOs . That's something that would drive me through the roof , I can't handle awkward vibrations and such. I've owned a ton of Michelin and in my best recollection can not think of any moment where that's ever been a problem.

3. Jan 5, 2017 at 10:19 PM
    TRDTacoma0817

TRDTacoma0817 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Michelin owns BFG from a company perspective. I went with the Ko2's 265/70/17 C and could not be happier

0210 likes this.
  4. Jan 5, 2017 at 10:29 PM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    99’ Bro-Coma’s Revenge 3RZ 345k+
    Stock
    When I buy tires, it's strictly based on looks. Luckily, the KO2's have been pretty awesome the first 1,500 or so miles. My 295's are almost an E2 rated tire at 128/127, yet they ride better than expected on my 2.7 AC.

Close friend had a hell of a time with his 14' when he went with some AT Michelin's. They ended up replacing 2, then blamed his wheels, they checked and all 4 wheels are were true. He ended up returning them and putting the stock tires back on, and can't decide which route he wants to take. I told him he's just anal and to stop being a tire bioch, I didn't notice any vibes but he did. It can happen with all tires.

4WP said my KO2's balanced easy, but I have a slight tick in the front right, simple re-balance should fix it.

5. Jan 6, 2017 at 4:07 AM
    Outlier

Outlier I get around...

Member:
    Dallas GA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma AC TRD OR 4x4 V6 Slushbox
    No BRO-ness to speak of... Well, except Kbro2's
    Glad to. They are an excellent compromise between a road tire and a mud tire. I love the fact that you can get them C rated instead of E rated in certain sizes to save weight. They have never once left me stuck in any off road condition. I have never had a sidewall puncture while using these tires (I've had three sets of two different vehicles). They are GREAT in the snow. You can get a set for $700ish if you shop around online almost anytime. They are not TOO noisy on-road. The ONLY complaint i have with these tires, i have with all BFG tires.... Wet weather, on-road traction is sub-par.

Most of all the thing that i like the most about these tires is that for some reason the minute you mention that you have them, you are automatically labeled "bro" by the morons on this site that think your tire choice defines your personality and character traits. In their eyes, you are a bandwagon DB that must sit around all day with his "bro's" talking about bolt on goodies and 7 billion lumen LED light bars while planning their next 14 truck trip to the vendor show at 4 wheel parts.

I imagine that most of the folks on here that bash KO2's so badly are really just disgruntled that they recently lost a Rockstar center cap when they curbed their Nitto Terra Grappler while they were finding somewhere cool in a shopping center to park their truck on a median for a four wheel Facebook selfie.

Good luck in finding the tire that best suits your individual likes and needs OP. That's really all that matters.

MPOW33R[QUOTED][OP] and JoeCOVA like this.
  6. Jan 6, 2017 at 4:17 AM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was talking to my neighbor and told him, "there are 2 things I don't skimp on tires and brakes".

7. Jan 6, 2017 at 11:31 AM
    stan23

stan23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stan
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
  8. Jan 8, 2017 at 8:43 AM
    retroboy1989

retroboy1989 Single Cab 4x4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 2.7L 5spd 4x4
    I still think the AT2 is a better fit for the OPs needs.

This was the day I bought them for my wife's SUV:
    20140825_134705.jpg

The reality is, I would actually be fine with a set of those on my Tacoma, but I have always liked the BFGs for looks. When my Goodyear's wear out, we will see what I end up with....

9. Jan 8, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    MPOW33R

MPOW33R [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MoMo
    East Bay, California
    Vehicle:
    A Few Air Cooled Porsche, A Few Water Cooled Porsche, 2018 Mag Gray Limited 4x4 (TRD Pro Rep 6/2023) 17 Mag Gray DC SB TRD Sport Premium JBL NAV Tech | 10 Mag Gray DC SB TRD Off Road JLB Audio
    10' TRD Beadlocks, LTX MS/2s , Skid Plate, Roof Rack , Tonneau, Full Stereo System w.DVD 17' TRD Pro 17s, TRD PRO Grill, TRD Pro Rigid Fog Lights, TRD Pro Tails, TRD Pro Knob, TRD Pro Bugle and Hood Decal, 265/70/17 BFG KO2s (C), TRD Skid Plate, OEM Tri Fold Tonneau, OEM Roof Racks, TRD Exhaust Tip, All LED Lighting, Tacoma Matte Tailgate Lettering, OEM Rear Bed Step, Remote Start, Locking Tailgate
    Talked to my buddy with a Tundra Pro plus a 6 inch lift,
    he went with K02s C , he said he was blown away
    by the ride, he bought them for looks and grip and was
    blown away and surprised with the performance on the hwy.
    The tire shop asked if a few reps can drive his truck because they
    couldn't believe how quiet they were at all speeds.

I hate to be such a b**ch but damn im still torn between

Mich AT/2s or KO2s C,

I would actually consider Mich LTX MS/2s if they just did not run
    slightly taller. If you look at my 10 Taco pictured below, those are 70s
    and they look like 75s, I didn't like that at all. SEE PIX

Here is my 265/70/16 Geo's (great but loud AF)
    vs
    And My LTX MS/2s 265/70/16 E Rated
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top